New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Best print size for lap viewing

Candrews9

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best print size for lap viewing

For portraits (let's say head and shoulders), what would be the best 2x3 print size for someone looking at art prints while holding them? I'll use high end matte paper.

I typically print at least 20x30 or 16x24 for exhibits and want to try a smaller size for someone holding them and shuffling through say 6-10 images.

Would spraying the prints make them feel better in the hand?

Price not an issue, just impact.

Sep 15, 2013 at 06:13 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best print size for lap viewing

A4 is good. I think it's taller and skinnier than the nearest US paper size, so that an uncropped 3:2 image will print significantly larger than on the US size. I don't know how obtainable it is in the US, but in Australia and Europe A4 and A3 are the standard fine art paper sizes.

With the Epson defaults you get a border of about 1/4" on each short side and 3/8" on each long side of A4. On the 210gsm matte paper I use it is perfectly possible to handle the paper by the edges and back only when held in portrait orientation. However, I'm not sure how matte ink would stand up to being casually stacked and slid around in someone's lap and I personally would not allow it with my prints. For a start, I store them with intervening paper.

Although gloss is probably more robust than matte, I do agree your style suits matte. And at 5300 portraits in a year and "price not an issue", maybe you don't care about accumulated damage!

Sep 17, 2013 at 03:14 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best print size for lap viewing

For holding/shuffling, A4 might work. For a true portfolio presentation, I am considering 13x19 Super B paper. At that size holding/shuffling is an issue, but the prints can be easily viewed on a flat surface and can be moved from one pile to another or from one side of a portfolio box to another. For the A4 and other small sizes, I would consider a presentation binder. I would rather minimize handling and shuffling of the prints.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best print size for lap viewing

Candrews9 wrote:
For portraits (let's say head and shoulders), what would be the best 2x3 print size for someone looking at art prints while holding them? I'll use high end matte paper.

I typically print at least 20x30 or 16x24 for exhibits and want to try a smaller size for someone holding them and shuffling through say 6-10 images.

With less than a dozen, I would go with 12 x 18 on 13 x 19 with half inch borders. Or borderless 8 x 12 or 13 x 19. For larger numbers, A4.

Candrews9 wrote:
Would spraying the prints make them feel better in the hand?

Depends on the paper. With fine art papers, no. With lacquer sprays, the surface is harder and stiffer, more abrasion resistant, UV resistant, moisture resistant and finger resistant, but it doesn't feel quite as good. With fibre papers, spray adds protection and there is little discernable difference to the feel. With RC papers, who cares anyhow?

Brian A

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM
jonjack56

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best print size for lap viewing

Camperjim, you are right, A4 is best. For the A4 and other small sizes, I considered a presentation binder. I would rather minimize handling and shuffling of the prints.

Sep 19, 2013 at 02:11 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.