Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

sedona twilight

kalina54
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · sedona twilight

I shot this last night. Any thought as to improve the pp? Thanks in advance

kalina54 2013

Sedona Twilight

Sep 15, 2013 at 07:35 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · sedona twilight

Better to work from the original.
I love the pastels of the sky. Feels like a bit too much shadow recovery or HDR. I think you need more contrast and deeper blacks in the foreground, maybe in the reflection.
I really like the composition. Nice foreground, distant and sky interest and pulls together beautifully.

Scott

Sep 16, 2013 at 04:26 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · sedona twilight

+1 @ Scott. Much goodness, but a bit too HDR for some tastes.

Sep 16, 2013 at 04:38 PM
kalina54
• •
p.1 #4 · sedona twilight

I am not certain why you are referring to HDR this is one shot with some structure from Viveza. I will try more contrast thanks.

Sep 16, 2013 at 08:22 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · sedona twilight

Its the sense that the foreground is overly bright, seems reduced in contrast. The prickly pines look a tad washed out. Some HDR images end up with these qualities as do some of the images I have seen or created with aggressive shadow recovery or selective exposure adjustments.
I started to play with this and I am not sure myself what to think, but here is the start of a rework. If you post the original I am sure others will want to give it a go.
I provided some localized contrast adjustments, exposure adjustments, dodge and burn but I think the rework itself is a rework in progress! Do you like the direction it is going in?

Scott

Sep 16, 2013 at 09:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kalina54
• •
p.1 #6 · sedona twilight

Hi Scott, sorry for the delayed response..work duties called. I appreciate all of the help that you are suggesting. For me I am on a total learning curve! Thanks again

Sep 17, 2013 at 02:08 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · sedona twilight

Took a stab at things, but I think I found Karen's crayons somewhere along the way and just couldn't seem to put them down ... so I'll follow Scott's lead at "in progress".

I'm sure it was quite something to see in person. It can be challenging at times to present in a manner that does justice to the scene (as if that's even possible sometimes).

Edited on Sep 19, 2013 at 01:19 PM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:36 AM
kalina54
• •
p.1 #8 · sedona twilight

Hi, thank you for the attempt but have you ever been to Sedona? This is truly Red Rock country and the colors here are more brown. i was trying to be true to color. I really like the improvement in clarity..thanks..K

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:41 AM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #9 · sedona twilight

Visually arresting and dramatic photo, well composed. I love the textures and colors and contrasts and forms you've captured. That "explosive" sky is a knockout. With that said, I'm usually not a big fan of HDR because in many cases the final vision is so far from reality that it has a phony look. However, with Rusty's added tweaks (+1!!!), the photo takes me to another world, almost like a movie still from a science fiction flick on a far away planet.

Sep 19, 2013 at 01:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · sedona twilight

Getting color right in red rock country is very challenging because you have no neutral reference to work from to assess the color of your light that is falling on your red/brown.

The color of the light that is illuminating your clouds and generating all those wonderful colors is a different color of light from the cyan/blue overhead sky that is illuminating your foreground. While I still would treat the colors of light independently, I can pretty much figure on the one cloud @ neutral, but the foreground is @ assessing.

I rarely use my gray card, but this is an area where a gray card might come in handy since nature is not providing you a known/assumed neutral in the foreground. We tend to trust our clouds as being a WB reference, but in dramatic lighting such as this where our clouds and foreground aren't being illuminated by the same color/source, the cloud isn't much help for the WB @ foreground. I gave it some more tweaks on color to bring it back down to earth a bit (sorry Steve ), but I'm still guessing without a foreground neutral reference in the scene.

If you can go back to the location, you could shoot a foreground gray card at same time of day to help assess the color as a reference point for your work on this one. I'm sure mine is still "not right", but hopefully this still gives a gist @ some variants for dialing it in to where you want it. It would be interesting to see the pre-pp version and work from there, if you are so inclined to see what others might take for their approach.

Here's another piece of the puzzle that comes into play. While the color of the light is different, the quality of the light is different also. The foreground is illuminated with soft lighting while the clouds are illuminated with more specular light. I tend to think that this is in part what gives the HDR look when raising the underexposed, softer foreground areas. This is probably where working from two properly exposed images has value worth the extra effort.

BTW, the title says twilight, and the file info says the image was shot @ 10:00 AM. Time of day/directional orientation of the day impacts what color our light is. In my assessment of the lighting to generate the colors in the clouds, the sun would need to be either below or to the side of the clouds such that the warm direct sunlight isn't shining "down" much onto the ground, but rather up/into the clouds. 10:00 AM seems like an odd time for this to be happening, but also I was confused as to whether presentation should be more twilight-ish or daylight-ish.

Just some @ food for thought as you work to get it where you want it. Still a very nice capture that I'm sure was excellent to enjoy both in person and shooting it. Be patient with your processing as you've got a fine piece here that deserves some judicious attention to bring it to its fullest. These small jpg reworks are something I consider more as a brainstorming sketch/draft for direction rather than a finished product. HTH.

Sep 19, 2013 at 01:18 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password