New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Print Sizes for Display

moonyguy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Print Sizes for Display

I am finally planning to print some of my images and do Gallery wraps to display around our new house. Just wondering what would be a good size to print and mount for displaying photos that will be viewed from 5-8 feet. I know this is a tricky question because it also depends on the image resolution and size of the room, but just wondering what is a good size to start with. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. The pictures are mostly of birds, but include some landscapes and portraits.

Thank you
Vishnu

Sep 15, 2013 at 02:34 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Print Sizes for Display

Yeah, you got it right... Print for the room slash wall-space and not to an arbitrary magic size.

Sep 15, 2013 at 03:36 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Print Sizes for Display

The question taps into decorating and personal statement, preference.
I print and display many bird photos in my office and hallway, with viewing distance ranging from 3-5 feet up to 8 feet. 11x14's work well as a grouping at some distance. For longer viewing distances, large walls, I generally print 12x18 to 14x21. No one has commented on the smaller images being too small, but they dont sit lonely, by themselves on a large wall.
Scott

Sep 17, 2013 at 09:15 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Print Sizes for Display

Before I retired, I used to hang framed photos in my office. I had enough space for about 15 pictures in 11x14 frames. The prints were 8 1/2 x 11 or in some cases 8 x 12. I think anything smaller is too hard to see. Larger prints have more impact. Now that I have a better printer, I plan to print 12x18 on 13x19 paper. For gallery presentations, I think a 16x24 is even more impressive. Of course, prints that size take up a lot of space and the image needs to be really good or the flaws are magnified.

The OP mentioned gallery wraps. The gallery wraps I have seen have all been canvas prints. Canvas changes everything. Lots of detail is lost if the print is too small. You would certainly want a tightly woven fabric.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.