FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Colorado Flooding & Rocky Mountain National Park

DejanS
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Colorado Flooding & Rocky Mountain National Park

To all, many of you know there has been epic flooding here in Colorado. I know, as I have been knee deep in it. With the pun, I'll add a serious note...Access to Estes Park is closed except for essential personnel. The only access is via the west side of RMNP, but is limited to "essential" personnel, and same with Rt 7 via Allenspark. All the canyon routes have been DESTROYED, and that is an understatement. Consider making any plans for visits in 2014 when some of the major roads into and out of the area to be marginally repaired. Thanks.

Dejan

Sep 15, 2013 at 01:00 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Colorado Flooding & Rocky Mountain National Park

Dejan,

I wondered if you washed away. My brother is out on his ranch in Frederick, and even he got flooded on a small scale. Everything I keep reading, well it gets worse and worse.

Fortunately, the rains should be ending after today. It's almost clear here finally.

Thanks for the heads up!

Sep 15, 2013 at 01:45 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Colorado Flooding & Rocky Mountain National Park

Thanks for the update. We all sympathize with you and your neighbors who have been hard hit. Best wishes in your recovery efforts.

Sep 15, 2013 at 05:52 PM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Colorado Flooding & Rocky Mountain National Park

Hang tough, our thoughts and prayers are with you!
Greg

Sep 15, 2013 at 06:31 PM
smmokan16
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Colorado Flooding & Rocky Mountain National Park

The damage around here is absolutely incredible. Virtually every road that travels into the mountains between south Boulder and Fort Collins is destroyed and it's going to be a long, long time before they are rebuilt. That's not even mentioning all of the destruction on the northern Front Range and into the plains. It is truly amazing to see this happen all around me.

Sep 15, 2013 at 07:17 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Colorado Flooding & Rocky Mountain National Park

My heart goes with you and others who got affected.

I have a travel coming up in 2 weeks and i have to fly in to Denver and then drive to San Juans via Aspen. Wondering how the roads on that route I70/SR24 etc, are after the rains. I am not familiar with CO, and according to what i I am reading, the affected area is North and Northwest of Denver and Boulder. Is that correct?

thanks

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM
coferg
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Colorado Flooding & Rocky Mountain National Park

Thanks Dejan for getting the word out. RMNP is closed until further notice. I don't know how often an entire major N.P. has been completely closed but this situation is about as unreal as it can get. Travel through the park via Trail Ridge Road is restricted to emergency and essential personnel, especially eastbound to Estes Park. I am sure the NPS will keep that road open for as long as they can before snow closes it for the season, in order to provide support to Estes Park. I was really looking forward to the elk rut, as I am sure other FMers were too, but I just don't see it happening this year. Dejan, I hope you have been able to avoid the flood plain in your city. My wife has a relative who was airlifted out by the National Guard, since their entire subdivision has been cut off (this is between Lyons and Estes Park). If there are any forum members in Estes, it would be great to get some first hand info. -Jim

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM
coferg
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Colorado Flooding & Rocky Mountain National Park

msoomro:
I70 is fine, except there is major tunnel construction a few miles east of Idaho Springs. Several info signs announce the average speed that the traffic is moving at the entrance to the construction. During the week it's not much of a deal, but on weekends it can add a half hour or more to the trip. As for the floods, the higher you go the less there is. By the time you reach the continental divide you are well out of the flood affected area, the worst of the damage is on the eastern edge of the front range, where the canyons pop out of the mountainsides, but the damage range is enormous, from south of Colorado Springs to the Wyoming border. I do believe going west out of Denver on I70 is fine. But if you are going to do a loop and return via Colorado Springs, your only road is Hwy 24 (to I25), and that road (24) just west of C.S. has been closed frequently due to mud slides and debris off the Waldo Canyon wildfire burn scar. If there is no rain there is no problem, however if there is rain the state doesn't even wait for debris to form, they just close the road immediately. -Jim

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:58 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Colorado Flooding & Rocky Mountain National Park

Thank You Jim. This is VERY helpful.

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:53 AM
DejanS
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Colorado Flooding & Rocky Mountain National Park

My house is 3 minutes from the heart of the flooding...just down the street, so we're ok. But, I've been covering the flooding for Zuma Press from Hygiene to the Platte River. Hopefully, Button Rock Dam, located in the mountains just northwest outside of Lyons, holds. If not, everyone downstream will die. Right now, the big problem for accessible mountain roads are mud & rock slides for the week. Sunny, warm weather is expected after Monday. If you are planning on visiting CO for leaves, please do. But, keep in mind that everything from Peak to Peak Highway west of Boulder going east to the Platte River and to just north of Ft Collins will be in recovery mode as many many roads have been washed out. Some roads have already begun the rebuilding process, and all the CDOT and County inspectors are out assessing the damage and figuring out & prioritizing bridge & road repair.

Here is a helpful link to Colorado road conditions: http://www.cotrip.org

Dejan

Sep 16, 2013 at 03:37 AM
astv99
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Colorado Flooding & Rocky Mountain National Park

Just heard on the local news that a permanent rebuild of US 36 between Lyons and Estes Park could take 2-5 years (!). Wow, wasn't expecting it'd take that long.

Don't know about the status of US 34 and CO 7, I hope either or both of those will be rebuilt by next year.

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:11 PM
daskibum
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Colorado Flooding & Rocky Mountain National Park

Asrale wrote:
Just heard on the local news that a permanent rebuild of US 36 between Lyons and Estes Park could take 2-5 years (!). Wow, wasn't expecting it'd take that long.

Don't know about the status of US 34 and CO 7, I hope either or both of those will be rebuilt by next year.

Local contractor who was assessing damages up where my fam is said if they would allow blasting of a wall or 2 on highway 7 they could have it open in a month. But the feds stepped in and now its gonna take at least a year as they refuse to allow blasting.

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:56 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.