Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Hiking trip

Mr057951

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Hiking trip

Hi there,

I went hiking a couple of days ago
took quite a lot of pictures with the 6D and was messing around with Photoshop afterwards.
though I like the first two images, I think there is (as usual) room for improvement. Too much PP?
The other one... well... nothing special I guess. Any ideas?

2 von mr057951 auf Flickr

1 von mr057951 auf Flickr

3 von mr057951 auf Flickr

Sep 15, 2013 at 02:08 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Hiking trip

Fantastic light, rays in the first, and beautiful scenery! Where, pray tell!
In the first, I would consider cropping about 30-40 percent of the sky to tighten the image. Not that much going on up there and it pulls the eye away from the mountains. I kinda wish you had a bit more of the open green pasture on the frame's edge on the right.

Second is pretty, but not as engaging a scene as the first. Just less areas of illuminated interest. Working with the image as taken, I might brighten the illuminated field, but it will be hard to match up the first with second images in terms of comps.

Third is looking awfully familiar. Did you post this or a variation before? I assume it is a well-worn path. A bit centered, even for me, although I recognize that that is part of what the whole scene and terrain is about. As I think about ideal crops I notice that the image is also very much centered vertically as well as horizontally. The sky doesnt offer that much. I'd be tempted to crop a bit from the top just above the trees on the left. Then look at your image again, see what you think.

Scott

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Mr057951

p.1 #3 · Hiking trip

Thank you Scott for taking the Time.
I will try and think about different crops, though that leads me to some kind of question.
Do you guys "usually" stick to the format the camera gives you (or other standard formats) or do you choose what is best for the image, even if it is a weird side-to-side ratio?

To my best knowledge I didn't post the third image before, though I guess it's a typical kind of image everyone takes once in a while (green hill left, green hill right, etc)

Richard

Sep 17, 2013 at 08:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Hiking trip

I usually crop based on aesthetics. Mindful of the cost of custom framing, for many images I check out standard crops as well. I frequently print at 11x14, 12x18, 14x21, 16x20.
I also enjoy experimenting with square crops, heavily dependent on subject matter.
I try to think about extra room to crop when I shoot.
I have long thought it would be nice for prosumer and procameras to have a crop overlay in viewfinders so that 4:5 formats for example could be readily envisioned.

Scott

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #5 · Hiking trip

Your first two photos have beautiful, majestic scenic views. You must have felt like you were on the top of the world shooting these images.
What's holding back the wow factor for me is the natural lighting in both of these images. In the first image, the shafts of light thru the clouds in the front area of the image are illuminating an uninteresting area on the side of the mountain. The illuminated area to the rear of that with the snake like river works well. However, the main area that one would like to see illuminated is the top plain of the mountain, and that is mostly in shadow or dim light, and does not keep my attention. Obviously, this natural lighting was beyond your control.
What you might want to do in photoshop is to see if you can brighten some of these key areas to draw and keep the viewer's eye.
There is also a strong, bluish cast to the distant mountains in both images. Maybe someone else can suggest a way to get rid of this. Shooting in the future with filters? PP?

Sep 18, 2013 at 01:57 AM
Mr057951

p.1 #6 · Hiking trip

What's holding back the wow factor for me is the natural lighting in both of these images. In the first image, the shafts of light thru the clouds in the front area of the image are illuminating an uninteresting area on the side of the mountain. The illuminated area to the rear of that with the snake like river works well. However, the main area that one would like to see illuminated is the top plain of the mountain, and that is mostly in shadow or dim light, and does not keep my attention.

Though it's actually not a river, I totally agree with the rest. Now that you mentioned it, I realize that this is actually what 'felt wrong' in the first place.

Fantastic light, rays in the first, and beautiful scenery! Where, pray tell!

It's a quite popular place in the alps, right on the border between austria and germany.

Sep 18, 2013 at 08:17 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password