Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

cimperialis

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I ordered from New Memory Mall and (possibly predictably) received a counterfeit Sandisk 16GB 60MB/s Compact Flash card. Here's a photo of what I got- https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/U7ZYu9sv4OOz7aZlh3VAp9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Notice the sharp corners of the sticker at the top, and the silver border having the extra thick part at the top. I've read these are markers for counterfeits. All other counterfeit markers that I read about matched my card.

However, the card says it will hold 14.9GB, and the camera says I can take 23 raw pictures at 8fps. At ~22mb/file, that means it'll store 506mb (23files x 22mb/file) of data before it needs to catch up. So it's right at 60mb/s (506mb/8fps).

So should I send it back? Are there any advantages to using a counterfeit card? Thanks!

Sep 15, 2013 at 09:08 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

and the camera says I can take 23 raw pictures at 8fps. At ~22mb/file, that means it'll store 506mb (23files x 22mb/file)?

How can your camera say that You only know that if you try to do it with this card. The camera don't know how fast this card is.
I wouldn't even send it back to China and try to get a real card. To much hassle and you will probably not get another card.

Sep 15, 2013 at 09:28 AM
cimperialis

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

I just tested it, and it took at least 20 photos before it stalled.

Their website says they gladly accept returns. Either way, would you recommend purchasing a genuine card from somewhere else, like Amazon?

Sep 15, 2013 at 09:34 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

Yes all the big online stores are good. Amazon, B&H, Adorama to mention a few.

Even if their website say they will gladly accept returns they will not do it. If they sell counterfeits as real cards, they will not give you a new original card.

Sep 15, 2013 at 09:35 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

It's time to cut your losses and move on.

EBH

Sep 15, 2013 at 09:38 AM
cimperialis

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

My question still hasn't been answered- are there any advantages to using a counterfeit card? Don't mean to be persnickety, but I'm curious.

Thanks a bunch for the advice.

Even if they won't accept my return, I can still file with Paypal or cancel the credit card payment (I'm a frequent traveler to Peru, so I have experience with this).

Sep 15, 2013 at 09:45 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

I'm not sure how Peru could possibly be involved.
Since the card appears to be slower than the SanDisk and is most likley made from cheaper components, I see no advantage other than an increased profit for the seller. I would run several tests on the card to make sure that all of the memory cells are working. Cheap cards may fail or corrupt images in the worst case.

EBH

Sep 15, 2013 at 09:50 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

No there is not any advantages of using a counterfeit card. It's the opposite.

Sep 15, 2013 at 09:50 AM
cimperialis

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

OK, thanks. Of course, I meant what are the associated advantages and disadvantages with a counterfeit card.

I mentioned Peru because it's another country of piracy and scams (like Hong Kong and China) where I've had to cancel payments before due to failed services. Sorry to confuse.

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

EB-1 wrote:
It's time to cut your losses and move on.

EBH

+1

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM
cimperialis

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
+1

Would you really just let the $33 go without doing anything? That's worth at least a few meals to me.

And sorry for starting this whole thread. The intention was to alert people to this scamming website, but it seems like it was not invited.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

cimperialis wrote:
Would you really just let the $33 go without doing anything? That's worth at least a few meals to me.

And sorry for starting this whole thread. The intention was to alert people to this scamming website, but it seems like it was not invited.

Personally, I would send the card to Sandisk with the name of the retailer so they wouldn't prey on photographers anymore! If its too good to be true, in normally is a rip.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM
cimperialis

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

Thanks, Luke. That's a great idea. Also, I think I'll alert Paypal about this fraudulent website so others are not scammed.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

cimperialis wrote:

Yes I would let $ 33 go instead of trying to get it back from China. If they cheat with counterfeit cards, then they will not help you.
But Luke suggestion is good. Sometimes Sandisk exchange counterfeit cards and give the customer a real card instead.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM
cimperialis

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

OK, I would agree with you Lasse if I was trying to get it back from China, but it's Paypal who is dealing with it now. For counterfeit cases, they regularly withdraw from the seller's account and deposit into the buyer's account. Thanks for the advice, all sounds good.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM
3iron
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

Contact PP and file a complaint and attempt to stop payment from PP. Send the card back. At least try to get you money, I certainly would.

Sep 15, 2013 at 01:16 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

Keep in mind that it's not like somebody is making chips in their basement. The chips come off of a very expensive and up to date fabrication line, and there are only a few in the world for a given type of chip.

It IS possible that someone has managed to get a source of out-of-tolerance chips. I think this is not very likely. I think you MAY have good chips that were bought unpackaged, and then packaged with a counterfeit label. Packaging these things is not very high technology and could very well be done in near-basement conditions.

Anyway: flash memory is a fairly negligible cost compared to the cost of the camera. I never do multiple frames so I am happy buying at the Office Max or similar. Instant gratification.

An annoying thing last time I looked on Amazon was: they had good deals on memory, but the good deals charged shipping on each individual item.

Sep 15, 2013 at 03:25 PM
cimperialis

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

Just received a full refund for the item from Paypal after demonstrating that it was counterfeit. Now I have a real one on its way from Amazon. Thanks to those who encouraged me to fight this!

Here's what they said:
"We never sell any knockoff product. However , we full refunded your payment for make you satisfied ."

No indication that they want it back or anything, so no hassle there. Now to let Sandisk know.

Sep 15, 2013 at 07:56 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New Memory Mall = Counterfeit!

At least the card arrived - I did say give it time. This is normal when buying online from China/HK. Just use it - you don't have to return it do you?

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:29 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.