Archive 2013 · Postal Money Orders

molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Postal Money Orders

mitesh wrote:
Jimmy,

Couple of things may be in play here:

1. Molson is in Canada, so perhaps their clearing process and regulations are different. It is likely that all provisions of the section of the CFR of the USA that you referenced do not apply to Canadian financial institutions.

2. Making funds available is not the same as cleared funds. Should the money order be determined to be counterfeit, the bank would debit your account for the amount of the deposited money order or otherwise seek recourse. Just like a check that bounces.

Exactly.

Sep 29, 2013 at 09:27 PM
Chumma
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Postal Money Orders

The Postal Service has the ability to track and identify fake money orders.

If you have issues with money orders, you should contact the Postal Inspection Service, which is the law enforcement division of the Postal Service. The website is:

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/

Another law enforcement group within the Postal Service is the Office of Inspector General (www.uspsoig.gov). They are, however, closed now due to the government shut down. They handle, among other things, mail theft.

Oct 02, 2013 at 09:29 PM
PeteT
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Postal Money Orders

Personally - I would ask for a bank check. You can call the bank (check for their phone number online, don't trust the # on the check) to insure clear funds. If it has to be a USPS Money order - you can deposit it directly to your bank - you don't need to get cash from the post office.

Other topic wise - I though that postal money orders went to $10k?

Oct 03, 2013 at 01:17 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Postal Money Orders

One thing you can do is to require the person sending you the POMO the actual receipt from the PO when they bought it. That is very difficult to forge.

Oct 09, 2013 at 07:26 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Postal Money Orders

lukeb wrote:
One thing you can do is to require the person sending you the POMO the actual receipt from the PO when they bought it. That is very difficult to forge.

Hi lukeb,

Like I'm going to send along the receipt on a perfectly fine USPS Money Order...really, guy?

Nothing personal to anyone here, but folks need to do their own due diligence here when receiving and processing Money Orders on their end, IMHO. I have always made it a point with my sellers to not ship my item until they have my cash in their hands...I'm the one who has always assumed the risk in my transactions, not my sellers. Any of my sellers could have easily taken the money and ran leaving me high-and-dry, but, apparently "extending trust first" goes a long way in creating great rapport between parties and the makings of an enjoyable transaction...at least, in my experiences. I'll let my feedbacks speak for themselves.

If some folks choose to live in fear of paper money, that's certainly their prerogative. But, USPS Money Orders are solid, there's really nothing more to say about it. IMHO.

Anyhoo, best to you all,
Jimmy G

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:24 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Postal Money Orders

jimmy462 wrote:
Hi lukeb,

Like I'm going to send along the receipt on a perfectly fine USPS Money Order...really, guy?

Nothing personal to anyone here, but folks need to do their own due diligence here when receiving and processing Money Orders on their end, IMHO. I have always made it a point with my sellers to not ship my item until they have my cash in their hands...I'm the one who has always assumed the risk in my transactions, not my sellers. Any of my sellers could have easily taken the money and ran leaving me high-and-dry, but, apparently "extending trust first" goes
...Show more

Different strokes for different folks Jimmy - if I was uncertain on a buyer who insisted on a USPO money order, I would ask for the receipt for purchase with the money order. Your opinion - my opinion.

"Of course, you might have a completely different reason for needing a money order verification. Money order fraud is becoming more common every day; if you suspect you’re the victim of any type of money order scam that has placed a fraudulent document in your hands, it’s important that you immediately contact the agency from which the money order was supposedly purchased. The agency will walk you through the same kind of money order verification as described above, as well as help you look for factors such as watermarks, threads, and thermochromic features that identify money orders as real or fake. If you and the agency verify a money order as fake, the agency will advise you about what to do with the document and any other steps you might need to take to report the money order scam."

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:47 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Postal Money Orders

lukeb wrote:
Different strokes for different folks Jimmy - if I was uncertain on a buyer who insisted on a USPO money order, I would ask for the receipt for purchase with the money order. Your opinion - my opinion.

"Of course, you might have a completely different reason for needing a money order verification. Money order fraud is becoming more common every day; if you suspect you’re the victim of any type of money order scam that has placed a fraudulent document in your hands, it’s important that you immediately contact the agency from which the money order was supposedly purchased. The
...Show more

Hi lukeb,

Well, that you choose to both comfort and suffice yourself with the creation of the false equivalence that this is merely a difference of opinion is, of course, your prerogative. However, I am of the belief that folks coming to this thread are looking for more factual and reasoned information when dealing with USPS Money Orders for their sales and purchases.

By your logic, using true equivalences here, not only should sellers require of their buyers the actual receipts for their Money Orders but they should, then also, require the account numbers and pins for their paypal buyers, the account numbers and pins for their credit card buyers, and the driver's licenses and account passwords for their personal check buyers?! I mean, you want to know you are going to get paid, right?! Well, that that is where your reasoning goes, good luck with finding willing clients to purchase your goods!

Also, your selective usage (read: cherry-picking) of other author's text without providing proper citation is just poor netiquette, in my book. Those wishing to read the full text from where you cut-and-pasted can find that here...

How Do I Get a Money Order Verification? (with picture):
http://www.wisegeek.com/how-do-i-get-a-money-order-verification.htm

...where, interestingly enough, the reader will find further useful (though limited) information on how to process and handle such transactions. And, for those looking for even more information on how to identify genuine USPS Money Orders, that information can be found here...

USPS – Accepting Money Orders:
https://www.usps.com/shop/accepting-money-orders.htm?

The world is full of fraudsters and hucksters, and becoming educated as to these risks is everyone's personal responsibility. That folks wish to spend their energies and time on fostering fear, uncertainty and doubt, and spreading around anecdotal accounts of some impatient fool who couldn't be bothered to do their homework when a bogus check or money order arrived in their mail and, so, allowed themselves to be ripped off, well, that, once again, is their prerogative. I prefer to spend my time sharing my experiences, and the informations I have found, on such matters.

That any seller ever, so foolishly, told me that I was "required" to send along my receipt for my USPS Money Order as a condition of the purchase they would be greeted with laughter as I told them to take their scamming-a** elsewhere!

Sorry to hear that you see things differently.

Best to you,
Jimmy G

Oct 11, 2013 at 01:41 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Postal Money Orders

Jimmy, I have other things to do than spend time back and forth with you.

However, as a final (and I mean final) reply to your endless "informations" babble.

The fact is (if you care to check), if you deposit an "item" (bank nomenclature) and it is returned, your account is charged back for the item's face value, plus any returned fees many banks now charge. Read the Uniform Commercial Code for a start.

Postal money orders ARE subject to fraud and it is very real. Granted, I have accepted them and had no problem - but that is no form of assurance it won't happen, because it has to others.

For you to suggest newbees were; "some impatient fool who couldn't be bothered to do their homework when a bogus check or money order arrived in their mail and, so, allowed themselves to be ripped off, well, that, once again, is their prerogative" shows just how superior you must think you are. Forewarned is forearmed, and you do yourself a disservice as well as those who need to know where the land mines are.

Additionally Jimmy, you can be assured I wouldn't sell you my old sox.

Have a nice life waxing eloquent or not so eloquent. The more I think about it, maybe you or your wife work for the post office? Well, I really don't care........... but it would make sense.

Oct 11, 2013 at 02:18 PM
jimmy462
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Postal Money Orders

Hi lukeb, (with apologies to the OP and other posters here),

FWIW, your suggestion, in plain English, was just plain-old bad advice, IMHO. That anyone would countenance such transaction-unfriendly advice to either sellers or buyers is, to me, bewildering, at best. Again, the art of the deal is in both parties reaching a mutual satisfaction (read: happiness) with the terms and arrangements. That you chose to take umbrage with my commentary, rather than discuss or defend your position further, is abundantly clear.

And, to your comment about returned "items" at the bank...that a depositor cannot be bothered, again, to do their own due diligence on verifying incoming forms of payment for fraudulence, then the banks will be more than happy to charge such a care-free depositor a hefty, er, fee (read: penalty) for their willful, um, non-vigilance. It's business. All the tears shed on the internet will not change that.

My sole purpose in this thread has been to dispel some myths, calm some fears and provide direct links which provide the accurate information for some specific concerns. For every "huckster" and "fraudster" out there on the internet there is also an "easy target" and "blissfully ignorant individual" just sitting around waiting to be fleeced. An "I didn't know any better" defense is not going to get anybody their money or their lens back when a deal goes south, nor is it going to get a bank to show anyone any sympathy or reverse the charges against their account because they couldn't be bothered to check their deposits, nor is it going to muster any sympathies on the internets when they post their tale of "I let someone make-off with my stuff", except, maybe, from some other fools. Whether folks care to hear it or not, everyone has got their own responsibilities to live up to here..."best that they know what they are and then send them on their merry way", is my point and purpose. That's life in the big city.

And as for the informations I provide and how I provide them, here's a typical set of netiquette principles concerning citations that can be pretty much found anywhere on the internets...

The Netiquette Of Quoting Other Blogs-Five Awesome Tips For Blog Writers:
http://hirebloggers.com/the-netiquette-of-quoting-other-blogs-five-awesome-tips-for-blog-writers/

Anyhoo, that's all I've got on this matter. Sorry for stepping on your toes, Mister.

We now return this thread to its original broadcast schedule...

Peace, out,
Jimmy G

Oct 12, 2013 at 08:17 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Postal Money Orders

Ho, f'g hummmm

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:12 AM
DLP
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Postal Money Orders

I ship the same day with USPS MO's. There's really no way to "fake" them or produce counterfits as they have numerous waterwarks etc. About 90% of the time if I wait until late afternoon to ship the USPS will cash the MO's. If they don't have the cash they can look up the SN's and confirn the MO's are authentic.
Easy Peasy and they only cost the buyer a buck.
Bank hold is 24 hours. I'd rather take USPS MO's than deal with PP any day.

Dave

Oct 18, 2013 at 06:45 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Postal Money Orders

DLP wrote:
... There's really no way to "fake" them or produce counterfits as they have numerous waterwarks etc. ...

Right. Just like there's no way to "fake" dollar bills... Just sayin'.

Oct 18, 2013 at 07:20 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Postal Money Orders

jcolwell wrote:

Just sayin'

Anytime I feel the slightest urge to say this, I recall NPR's Scott Simon and his ridicule of the phrase. It's pretty hilarious but drives home a point.

Oct 18, 2013 at 08:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Postal Money Orders

It's a Seinfeldism.

Just sayin'.

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:00 PM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.