Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Rolling Bag for equipment

RichardLavigne
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Rolling Bag for equipment

ThinkTank Airport International here.... and if you're interested, I have a link that you can use that gets you free gifts... PM me.

Sep 15, 2013 at 03:48 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Rolling Bag for equipment

TTLKurtis wrote:
If I lived on the beach like Candice I might go for a pelican too.

Lol! I don't take any kind of rolling bag down on to the beach. I would have to be suicidal. It wouldn't roll, I would just be dragging. I'm much more concerned about what happens to it on an airplane. I can fit everything I need into the pelican besides the light stands, obviously.

Sep 15, 2013 at 06:56 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Rolling Bag for equipment

I assumed you had your assistant carry it around to keep sand/water off your gear.

Here's the deal for me... under no circumstances am I ever letting my gear be checked on a plane, there is simply no reason for that to happen and I wouldn't board the plane if they tell me they must gate-check it. So I don't care about the extra protection in that scenario. If you check your gear, most insurance won't cover it while it's under the plane and the airline is probably going to leave you high and dry as well. So you want to tread very carefully into that territory and make sure you understand what your insurance will and will not cover in that type of scenario.

Sep 15, 2013 at 08:35 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Rolling Bag for equipment

Well... Sadly, the airport here is 95% planes that have purse sized overhead and under-seat space. If there was a way to get a carry-on bag in there, I would get it in there, trust me. My only other alternative is to take out the bodies and a couple lenses and carry them on with me in my hands or a tote bag.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Rolling Bag for equipment

Candice, you might want to check out the Gura Gear Kiboko. That's the backpack I use for regional jets. It holds even more than the ThinkTank stuff, and it fits on the tiny little planes like you'd fly into Aspen.

And you are allowed to carry camera(s) on you by the way, in a worst-case scenario.

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:09 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Rolling Bag for equipment

Anyone use those combination rolling bags that can covert to a backpack?

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:44 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Rolling Bag for equipment

boingyman wrote:

I use the Lowepro x100 Roller. It's fantastic and fits under commercial plane seats (though you'll not have any leg room, it does fit completely under the seat in front of you with the outter shell on). I am shooting a wedding in Key West this Nov and will be flying on really small planes to get there so hopefully it will fit under at the very least without the shell.

It's a great, though never really used it as a backpack.

Sep 16, 2013 at 01:34 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Rolling Bag for equipment

boingyman wrote:

The ThinkTank Airport Security v2 will convert to a backpack. But you're not going to want to use it like that unless you're desperate.

Sep 16, 2013 at 01:47 PM
awad
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Rolling Bag for equipment

TTLKurtis wrote:
The ThinkTank Airport Security v2 will convert to a backpack. But you're not going to want to use it like that unless you're desperate.

i wear mine as a backpack all the time, it's not so bad. but i'm 6'2. it's definitely not comfortable but its a lot quicker when you've got a ton of stuff to carry out to the car in one superhuman trip.

Sep 16, 2013 at 01:52 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Rolling Bag for equipment

See, I specifically bought a roller bag so I'm not huffing and puffing when I unload. With my assistant's help it's quite easy for me to unload and to pack back up at the end of the night.

Sep 16, 2013 at 02:28 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Rolling Bag for equipment

I have a Kata backpack that fits all my bodies, lenses, and a couple flashes... but at just a bit over 100lbs, the bag ends up weighing enough to pull me over backwards.

Sep 16, 2013 at 04:58 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.