Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · How to sign an electronic document?

Eric Hoffman

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to sign an electronic document?

Hi,

I have been an event photographer shooting as an independent, sub contractor / freelancer for the last twenty or so years and as such have never needed to create or sign a contract electronically. Anytime I covered an event directly between myself and the end user (client) it was always with someone I had a relationship with and it was handled very casually without a contract.

I was just contacted by a business I have no history with to cover an event and they, predictably asked for a contract and description of usage rights. I Googled samples of contracts and usage rights forms and I think I can put together my own contract using the pertinent parts of these forms as they apply to me.

This new client asked for the contract and rights to be sent to them via email, to go over, sign and return to me. The thing is, I don't have a clue as to how one signs this electronic form.

I Googled this too and saw that there is software you must purchase to do what I need. I don't see a lot of these situations arising in the future as I don't seek work directly with clients but rather with companies that hire me as a sub contractor, so to buy something I will rarely use seems to me not to be a wise spending decision.

Someone told me to sign a blank sheet of paper, have it scanned and sent to my email and then copy it to a folder I would create called "e - signature" or the like, and then whenever I need it I would copy and paste the signature to whatever document I need to sign. Does this work? Is it the easiest way to accomplish the electronic signature?

If there are better or more efficient ways to do this I would sure appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks for any assistance I get on this.

Eric

Sep 14, 2013 at 09:26 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to sign an electronic document?

I haven't signed anything with a true digital signature, but have done real estate transactions via fax and email.

If the form has a place to sign your name, simply print it out, and sign it. Either fax it back to them or scan it and email the page (pdf, png, jpg). At yours or their discretion, this can be followed up by sending the original paperwork with real signatures.

Sep 14, 2013 at 09:41 PM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to sign an electronic document?

Mac or Windows?

If you're on a Mac, this is built into the operating system and it'll even "scan" your signature for your using your iSight camera. Pop open your PDF in Preview, pick "Signature" from the Edit toolbar or Tools | Annotate | Signature.

Sep 15, 2013 at 04:37 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to sign an electronic document?

I have seen a few where you type in the name and it accepts as a signed document. Most I deal with I simply cut and paste a jpg 9 scan or photo of it) of my signature and drop in the signature area. No problems so far.

Sep 16, 2013 at 06:21 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to sign an electronic document?

I have seen a few where you type in the name and it accepts as a signed document. Most I deal with I simply cut and paste a jpg 9 scan or photo of it) of my signature and drop in the signature area. No problems so far.

I forgot that some of the larger companies will send a PDF with a menu on the right. It allows you to fill in names and address and drop in a jpg signature then send out without ever leaving your email account. Most I save to my word program or photo shop if a PDF to finish then attach and resend.

Sep 16, 2013 at 06:24 PM
JoshI
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to sign an electronic document?

It can be done fairly simply with PDF. You just have to be able to demonstrate that the signatory knew they were signing the contract. I'm not a lawyer, and you'll always want your lawyer to check over your contracts, but electronic signatures are recognized by federal law and are just as valid as a physical signature.

Sep 17, 2013 at 01:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to sign an electronic document?

In some cases, your name bracketed between forward slashes ("/") can be a valid e-signature, as in

Electronic signature: /John Doe/

or

/s/ John Doe

Having an e-signature as a picture file is not a bad idea, neither is asking the client just to sign the contract and return to you via fax or email.

Sep 17, 2013 at 07:50 PM
Eric Hoffman

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to sign an electronic document?

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me out!

Eric

Sep 17, 2013 at 09:35 PM
Chumma
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to sign an electronic document?

You can securely sign a Word document using ApproveIt. Here is the link:

http://www.silanis.com/about-us/news/approveit-desktop-version-40

It uses digital signature and it cannot be forged. It is an add-in program for Microsoft Word and Excel. There is some setup involved. The company I work for uses it and I have signed numerous documents with it.

Sep 18, 2013 at 02:38 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to sign an electronic document?

True digital signature services like veri-sign are an option for you. It will cover most everything you would need to do.

If you have found that you need just YOUR signature on a word doc, PDF etc..

New layer with white background in Ps, apply a new BLANK layer on top, and with a black fine brush, use the WACOM to actually sign you're name. trash the white background and save the file as a (IMPORTANT) PNG. This retains the blank background. This can be inserted in just about everything but a keyhole.

Oct 22, 2013 at 05:21 AM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to sign an electronic document?

Got a Wacom tablet or iPad. Use these to sign or go the pre sig paste route.

Oct 22, 2013 at 08:26 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password