Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Need some help....new pc problems.

echelonphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Need some help....new pc problems.

Hi,

I edit many images a week, mostly using PS CS2...although I have a lightroom disk ready to install.
My old pc is still running after 5 years of use...but the files are getting bigger and raws really hit it hard.
The old pc was a custom build with a pentium E8500 processor and 4 gb of ram....I have two hard drives in the machine and backup drives via usb.

I bought a Dell xps 8500 recently with the i7 processor and 12 gb of ram. In my reading...I learned it
might be a good idea to use an ssd as my system disk...so I bought a Samsung 840 pro and used their software to clone the OS from the existing HD in the system. Machine booted right up from the Samsung after switching the sata port to primary. I have left the 1 TB dell HD in there for data...but I also left the original OS on there too ( I just put it into a separate folder). I installed my cs2 program and
started editing. I runs OK...but not as fast as I thought it would and there are some weird things happening with photoshop. #1 ...I usually edited multiple files in PS...so maybe I open 20-30 med jpgs.
and go thru them in sequence. With this machine..as I am applying actions...the image windows disappear momentarily and then come back when I hit the next action...also they seem to be slow to
save the file (by slow, I mean there is maybe a seconds hesitation, where my old machine seems to
be snappier. Sometimes the pallet windows blink or disapper too. Occasionally if I open a new action...its window appears underneath the existing palette window...just screwy! I ran a filter like
liquify and when its window opens...the normal pallets from photoshop are covering the filters action
pallets....never saw this before.

Can anyone help?

Sep 14, 2013 at 08:31 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Need some help....new pc problems.

What OS? CS2 is probably not making use of the i7 processor capabilities and hence you're seeing anomalies.

Sep 14, 2013 at 08:34 PM
echelonphoto
• •
p.1 #3 · Need some help....new pc problems.

OS is windows 8....I tend to agree with your statement...time for an upgrade.

Sep 14, 2013 at 09:06 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #4 · Need some help....new pc problems.

Sounds more like a video driver problem. I'm running CS3 on an i7 with 32GB of RAM and there are no issues such as you're seeing.

Sep 15, 2013 at 01:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

echelonphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · Need some help....new pc problems.

Haven't had any luck installing a new video driver

Oct 02, 2013 at 08:31 PM
echelonphoto
• •
p.1 #6 · Need some help....new pc problems.

Problem disappears momentarily after I reboot computer

Oct 02, 2013 at 08:32 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Need some help....new pc problems.

I would think video related too. But my first guess would be video card memory. What card are you using in the i7, how much vRAM?

Oct 03, 2013 at 01:35 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password