New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Hostages

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hostages

Thinking about Rusty's "Together", took this photo today. We're surrounded by advertising in today's world. Some of it is clever, funny, thought provoking, and helpful, but more often than not tiresome, manipulative, hypnotic, stupid, over the edge,... and easy to satirize. Any P&P suggestions welcomed.

© eeneryma 2012

Hostages in NYC

Sep 14, 2013 at 03:10 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hostages

Much to digest cerebrally.

Diggin the lines as usual, but other things like the way the people are also contained in the frames created by the silhouettes The juxtaposition of one person front lit, one back lit, Dorothy trapped in OZ (vs. Dr. OZ) and the falsehood of the Great OZ vs. the falsehoods of advertising, etc.

Sublime and dynamic in different perspectives. Good eye.

Nits ... none really. Possibly clone the slivers of lighter areas (top) to dark so you have matching top/bottom zones (again, not necessary). That being said, I think I'd prefer to see it cropped to raise the platform in the frame instead. Just depends on the degree of formality you want to convey.

Sep 15, 2013 at 07:48 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hostages

I guess there is little hope
The two men waiting for a train appear distracted, relaxed, oblivious
A commentary?
As Kent said, the framing by the structures of the platform work well
Nice find and nicely processed

Scott

Sep 16, 2013 at 08:19 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hostages

Rusty and Scott: Appreciate and agree with your astute observations. I think the public's natural reaction to the flood of advertising is to become oblivious. I hadn't thought that deeply about Oz but love the connection. Unpeeling the layers of a photo is a favorite pastime.

Sep 16, 2013 at 09:57 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hostages

+1 @ seeing the layers.

More juxtaposition @ hostage poster faces looking at us, real people looking away. Is the OZ poster a photo of Dr. Oz, with his face hidden behind the column (i.e. Great OZ hidden behind the curtain)?

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hostages

Rusty:
Appreciate your eye and thoughts.
Steve

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:11 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.