Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Trouble Updating 5D mkIII firmware: Please Help!

Loren E
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trouble Updating 5D mkIII firmware: Please Help!

Hey all, just bought a 5D mkIII on the board and need to update the firmware. I downloaded the firmware file from the Canon site, formatted an SD card in the camera, and so far so good. My problem is that when I go to drag the "fir" file (dark gray square icon labeled "5D300121.FIR" onto the SD card root (and no I'm not trying to put it into a sub folder) I am not allowed to drop the firmware file onto the root of the card, I just get that circle with a line through it. I dropped the firmware file onto the desktop and tried dragging it onto the card from there as well, but same problem. This is with a relatively new Mac. Anybody more tech savvy than myself know what is going wrong here? Thank you! -Loren

Sep 14, 2013 at 01:21 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trouble Updating 5D mkIII firmware: Please Help!

You should ask that question in a computer forum for Mac users. I don't own or use any Macs, though I'm sure some here do.

Sep 14, 2013 at 01:39 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trouble Updating 5D mkIII firmware: Please Help!

Loren,

Have you installed EOS Util on your Mac? It came with the camera, and can also be downloaded from Canon's website. When you hook your camera up and launch the application, there is an option to update firmware. If memory serves me correctly, when you select the .fir file, EOS Util will load it onto the card for you and you can proceed from there.

Sep 14, 2013 at 01:41 PM
Loren E
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trouble Updating 5D mkIII firmware: Please Help!

mitesh wrote:
Loren,

Have you installed EOS Util on your Mac? It came with the camera, and can also be downloaded from Canon's website. When you hook your camera up and launch the application, there is an option to update firmware. If memory serves me correctly, when you select the .fir file, EOS Util will load it onto the card for you and you can proceed from there.

I haven't; I have the CDs but my dang macbook pro retina doesn't have a CD drive! I was hoping I could just update with the card but no idea why I am running into the problem I'm having...

Sep 14, 2013 at 02:24 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trouble Updating 5D mkIII firmware: Please Help!

If you decide to try via EOS Util, it can be downloaded.

Sep 14, 2013 at 02:29 PM
Constable
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trouble Updating 5D mkIII firmware: Please Help!

Loren

Check that you have actually downloaded the disk image (check the size of the file). I have sometimes only downloaded a screen image rather than the file. The dmg file should be 19.8 MB and the FIR file is 17.9 MB. Also check that the disk is not locked.

Good luck

Ed

Sep 14, 2013 at 02:47 PM
Mitchell Carter
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trouble Updating 5D mkIII firmware: Please Help!

You can also use the CF slot to update the firmware. My Mac will write to an SD some of the time, and to a CF all of the time.

Sep 14, 2013 at 03:42 PM
Loren E
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trouble Updating 5D mkIII firmware: Please Help!

Constable wrote:
Loren

Check that you have actually downloaded the disk image (check the size of the file). I have sometimes only downloaded a screen image rather than the file. The dmg file should be 19.8 MB and the FIR file is 17.9 MB. Also check that the disk is not locked.

Good luck

Ed

Just checked and when I go to "get-info" it says 17.9mb so it looks like it is in fact the full file, but if I double click the file it just says there is no application that can open it (I assume this is normal).

I can try with a CF card next week, but of course just switched to Canon so only have SD cards from my Nikons and Adorama is backordered on the lexar CFs!

I really appreciate everyone's input, sounds like my best options are waiting for my CF cards to arrive, and if that doesn't work, buying an external CD drive for my laptop and using the CD from the box.

Sep 14, 2013 at 04:09 PM
Mike John
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trouble Updating 5D mkIII firmware: Please Help!

Can you put it on the card via a card reader or find somebody with a PC?

Sep 14, 2013 at 08:27 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trouble Updating 5D mkIII firmware: Please Help!

I have no problems dragging a fir file for FW updates on to both SD and CD cards. OS 10.8.4 on both a Mac Pro and MacBook Pro work perfectly with both USB carders and Firewire readers.

Did you check if the write protect tab on your card is engaged?

Sep 14, 2013 at 09:46 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.