Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Pentax K5 II S now or wait?

shifu
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pentax K5 II S now or wait?

Just wondering if any users out there that can vouch for the K5 II S and if it's a good buy now for $938 new or wait until the next body is released that may have more Ricoh influence. Still debating on getting this or an om-d em1 later as both bodies are similar in size.

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pentax K5 II S now or wait?

I have the original K-5 and while the price of the K5 II (S) is good, I would wait as I think we will see a K-5 replacement announced soon. I really didn't see enough reason to make the upgrade from the K-5 to K-5 II either because the one major upgrade I want (beyond a higher resolution sensor) is faster LV response. I use LV a lot with manual focus and, right now, there is such a delay from focusing to actually seeing the LV change/ update that it's very frustrating in use.

Other than that, the K5 is one of the best cameras I have ever used and delivers superb IQ if 16MP is all you require. It offers a pretty big jump in dynamic range alone over any m43 offering. The overall IQ is as close to a FF 35 sensor as anything I have seen from a smaller sensor (not only DR but tonality, noise and overall look).

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:22 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pentax K5 II S now or wait?

IMO a 16MP APS-C sensor is far below the pixel-density threshold at which the AA filter should be removed. And if you look at dpreview's review of the camera the images bear this out. Btw, the K-5 II can be hard for $734 at Abes of Maine.

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=PNK5II&id=PNK5II&&kbid=pentax%2520k5%2520ii

Add "loyalty15" code to get to $734.

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM
shifu
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pentax K5 II S now or wait?

I'm kinda interested in the version without the AA filter. The om1 will also have no AA filter. I don't mind the small sensor size as it's just an issue of depth of field and I prefer larger depth of field in my shots. I think the live view problem is due to the mirror technology. Sony will be coming out with mirrorless in a dslr shape body soon which will solve your LV response time problem. Will Ricoh re-brand the Pentax line you think? They already changed the website to Ricoh.

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pentax K5 II S now or wait?

The Live View problem is due to the processor used in the K5 versions. There are plenty of DSLR's, even lower end Pentax's, which do not have the same super-delayed, slow LV response.

With proper sharpening, I have not found the K5 lacking. I also shoot subject matter that's really prone to moire (and have even seen it, though rarely, with my K5) so, for me, a lower resolution sensor without an AA filter would be a downgrade (and problematic).

Ricoh will continue to use the Pentax branding on their higher end products (that's what they have claimed anyway).

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pentax K5 II S now or wait?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
With proper sharpening, I have not found the K5 lacking. I also shoot subject matter that's really prone to moire (and have even seen it, though rarely, with my K5) so, for me, a lower resolution sensor without an AA filter would be a downgrade (and problematic).

The K5 and K5II have relatively strong AA filters (at least compared to D7000/D5100 which use the same Sony sensor) and so they are very good at resisting moiré/aliasing. And I agree, with proper sharpening the detail can be restored to near D7000/D5100 levels.

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pentax K5 II S now or wait?

Yes, more than normal sharpening is required if you like things crispy.

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM
shifu
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pentax K5 II S now or wait?

so Tariq, you are perfectly satisfied with the Pentax system and have no feelings of switching to another system? Do you have alot of Pentax lenses?

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pentax K5 II S now or wait?

shifu wrote:
so Tariq, you are perfectly satisfied with the Pentax system and have no feelings of switching to another system? Do you have alot of Pentax lenses?

The K5 is not my only camera (I have an RX1 also). I do have a good mix of APS and older Pentax manual lenses (DA 15 and 21 and FF 28/3.5K, 50/1.7A, 50/4 Macro, 85*/1.4A) and will be upgrading to a higher resolution body soon (the K5 was only bought to be a stop gap a year ago but has proven to be better than expected). If Pentax does not come out with either a 24MP APS K3 OR FF 24MP K mount body soon, I'm sure I will end up buying the upcoming Sony NEX FF and using my Pentax lenses on it.

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:27 PM
shifu
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pentax K5 II S now or wait?

anyone have any experience with the video quality out of a k5 ii s?

Sep 14, 2013 at 08:48 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.