FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

phigment
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

Hello Everybody!

The FM forums have been a great motivator for me in creating an electronic adapter for Leica M-mount lenses on the Sony NEX bodies. The alt forum opened up my eyes to the possibility of adapting lenses and the benefits of rangefinder lenses.

Because of this I wanted to create a thread here to help answer any questions people have about the adapter. I value having a direct link with customers and welcome any questions or feedback!

I won't list the details of the adapter here, but you can get that from my Phigment Technologies site.

Edit: removed website link and provided specs below as requested by ISO1600

Cheers,
Paul

Edited on Sep 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2013 at 09:51 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

how about you do list the details of the adapter here? If you want to just advertise, you can use Google Adwords.

Sep 13, 2013 at 09:59 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

Interesting product. Website needs a lot of work. I know I'd like a high quality adapter that conveys lens and aperture EXIF info. There needs to be a well written info page, and much better photo documentation of the design and construction of the adapter. Any ability to fine-tune infinity focus?

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM
phigment
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

ISO1600 wrote:
how about you do list the details of the adapter here? If you want to just advertise, you can use Google Adwords.

I've got no problem listing the specs here, but just wanted to minimize the duplication of data and I felt that would keep it less like advertising.

BTW, I am looking in to google adwords, just haven't set it up yet.

As per your request I'll remove the link and post spec here:

1. Reads 6-bit coding to indentify the lens focal length and maximum aperture (embeds into EXIF data)
  2. Focus coupled: Change focus on the lens and the focus assist is automatically engaged
  3. Nickel plated brass mounts
  4. Anodized aluminum body
  5. Vignetting profile support
  6. User Configurable
  7. User firmware updatable (firmware update files provided by Phigment Technologies when necessary)

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM
phigment
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

uscmatt99 wrote:
Interesting product. Website needs a lot of work. I know I'd like a high quality adapter that conveys lens and aperture EXIF info. There needs to be a well written info page, and much better photo documentation of the design and construction of the adapter. Any ability to fine-tune infinity focus?

I'd eventually like to do some better documentation or perhaps some instructional videos.

No built in fine tune for inifinity, but there is room to shim internally. It's not an easy process, but it can be done. The short register distance limited the design and didn't leave much room for much more than the electronics and CAM pickup mechanism.

Part of the reason I wanted to open this thread is to get more input on what's unclear. I will be updating the webpage with information as I find out what's lacking.

Thanks!

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

How should we deal with lenses that are not coded of included on your listing? I have Minolta CLE M-Rokker 40mm f2.0 lens coming. This is the equivalent to the Leica C 40mm f2.0 Summicron lens. These lenses are not on your list and I believe have no 6 digit code available from Leica. I really do not want to send the lens to Leica for coding. It is possible that I could get the code for the equivalent to the 50mm or 35mm Summicrons and mark the lens mount, but...

By the way, I am in the market for an adapter for Leica M mount lenses including above for usage with the anticipated FF NEX camera once it is available.

Thanks.

Rich

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM
phigment
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

naturephoto1 wrote:
How should we deal with lenses that are not coded of included on your listing? I have Minolta CLE M-Rokker 40mm f2.0 lens coming. This is the equivalent to the Leica C 40mm f2.0 Summicron lens. These lenses are not on your list and I believe have no 6 digit code available from Leica. I really do not want to send the lens to Leica for coding. It is possible that I could get the code for the equivalent to the 50mm or 35mm Summicrons and mark the lens mount, but...

By the way, I am in the market for an
...Show more

Hi Rick,
That's no problem. The adapter has 2 modes of operation.
1) Try to read the optical coding and setup EXIF appropriately.
2) Use default lens specified by user.

You can configure the default lens from your computer. When plugged in to your computer you merely have to edit a config file to specify the code you want it to emulate. Or you can update the lens database and setup your own focal length and aperture.

I attempted to cover this in the manual, but I may have been unclear. I'll double check and see what can be improved.

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:46 AM
phigment
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

Oh and with regards to the FF question, I'm eagarly awaiting this.
At the moment I know that the VG900 is listed as not compatible, but I have confidence that I can address this. It was tested by someone on the other side of the continent and I haven't seen much need in buying the camera to make it compatible.

As soon as I have the means I will make an effort to address the FF issue.

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

Do you ship this adapter abroad, e.g. to Europe? I live in Norway.

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM
phigment
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

bjornthun wrote:
Do you ship this adapter abroad, e.g. to Europe? I live in Norway.

Sorry, at the moment I have to say no. When I did my FCC testing I didn't realize that to sell in Europe I needed CE compliance. The facility I used didn't offer that. If sales are good enough I will likely go with another lab that can do the required testing.

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:09 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

Focus coupled: Change focus on the lens and the focus assist is automatically engaged
Is there a way to turn this feature off?
You could have kept your web page link, don't understand why you deleted it.

Sep 13, 2013 at 02:52 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

LightShow wrote:

The web page link can be found by viewing Phigment's previous versions of his first posting.

Rich

Edited on Sep 13, 2013 at 03:03 PM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2013 at 02:59 PM
phigment
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

LightShow wrote:

Yes, just about everything is configurable.

The easiest way for configuration is through the computer interface (plug in the adapter to the USB port of you computer) by editing the config.txt file.

A more convoluted way is to use the on-the-fly configuration. It's a bit difficult to use but provides access to toggle features on the road. It's a combination of racking (on camera) the aperture left/right and looking at the optical code reader (which doubles as a status indicator when in config mode).

I took the link down because I didn't want to go against forum advertising rules and have the thread shut down.

Sep 13, 2013 at 03:02 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

Paul, very interesting product! Pity you won"t ship to Europe! Jave you considered combining it with a helicoid, a very useful feature for M-mount on NEX?

Sep 13, 2013 at 03:40 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

phigment wrote:
Sorry, at the moment I have to say no. When I did my FCC testing I didn't realize that to sell in Europe I needed CE compliance. The facility I used didn't offer that. If sales are good enough I will likely go with another lab that can do the required testing.

Not shipping to Europe is a sure way of ensuring lower sales than you could otherwise have.

Sep 13, 2013 at 04:09 PM
phigment
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

philber wrote:
Paul, very interesting product! Pity you won"t ship to Europe! Jave you considered combining it with a helicoid, a very useful feature for M-mount on NEX?

Thanks. I agree it is a pity I can't ship to the EU at the moment. I do have to get test results to back up a claim of CE compliance. I would like to do this, but things are pretty busy at the moment.

Nice question. My original plan was a helicoid as well as shift movements, but things got complicated quickly. I decided to keep it simple; let me tell you putting the RF pickup into the small footprint was hard enough.

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM
artur5
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

Presumably is not feasible for technical and economical reasons, but it would be terrific if you could evolve the concept of the manual helicoid into a motorized AF version, converting all M glass in AF lenses.

Sep 14, 2013 at 03:55 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

How long will you be making the special pricing offer on the adapater?

By the way I have mentioned your new adapter on the Sony FF NEX thread over at L.Camera Forum (Leica Forum).

Thanks very much.

Rich

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:13 AM
phigment
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

Hi Rich,
Thanks for spreading the word, I really appreciate it.

The pricing is really a function of how quickly they sell. I started with 40 available and will probably sell them all at the sale price. The next batch will most likely be back up to regular price. At this time I can`t really give an estimate on how long that will be.

Sep 15, 2013 at 06:34 PM
dpap1978
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter

I just received my adapter. It looks really well made and the focus sensor works great! I have not tried the peripheral correction yet. Do you think it will correct the blue corners problem? It would be great if we could somehow import or convert cornerfix profiles...

Sep 20, 2013 at 08:00 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.