end

Archive 2013 · Truly Classic

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Truly Classic

Micky Bill wrote:
[

This is what real wedding photojournailsm looks like...it always helps to read the caption...

When they married in Rhode Island on September 12, 1953, it was national news. LIFE magazine sent photographer Lisa Larsen, then in her late 20s, to cover the highly publicized event. Her photos from the occasion offer not only a solid before-and-after record of the nuptials, but a surprisingly intimate chronicle of one of the most high-profile American weddings of the 20th century. Here, on the 60th anniversary of John and Jackie Kennedy’s wedding, LIFE.com presents a gallery of the very best of Lisa Larsen’s many
...Show more

Yeah, but apparently you guys missed the rest of the story. She got really drunk the night before at the rehearsal dinner, went out and did some karoake with Marilyn Monroe, and was too ill to make it to the wedding. She gave her point-and-shoot Kodak film camera to her boyfriend who actually did all the photography that day. Part of the proof is that there's not a single "selfie" in the collection.

Sep 15, 2013 at 07:24 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Truly Classic

jeremy_clay wrote:
you know who else can shoot that? Anyone with a smartphone.

Jelly?

Sep 16, 2013 at 01:13 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Truly Classic

amonline wrote:
I was joking. The "lifted" blacks on the edges are most likely inconsistency issue. The black ARE generally crushed.

I bet you're bummed now that you're not vindicated.

Sep 16, 2013 at 01:29 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Truly Classic

D. Diggler wrote:
I bet you're bummed now that you're not vindicated.

Your reply alone is my vindication. It's always just a matter of time with you.

Sep 16, 2013 at 02:30 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Truly Classic

D. Diggler wrote:
Jelly?

As fuark. When will it be mine turn to take this?

http://timelifeblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/02_112571634.jpg

Sep 16, 2013 at 02:36 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Truly Classic

Jeremy back in those days that man carrying flowers was equivalent weirdness-level to your bags on heads.

Sep 16, 2013 at 02:41 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Truly Classic

TTLKurtis wrote:
Jeremy back in those days that man carrying flowers was equivalent weirdness-level to your bags on heads.

Bag the heads = classic and timeless. *that's* what this set was missing!

Sep 16, 2013 at 02:43 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Truly Classic

Haha... This forum needs a "hall of fame" for awesome threads. If so, this thread would definitely make the cut.

Sep 16, 2013 at 03:03 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Truly Classic

deepbluejh wrote:
Haha... This forum needs a "hall of fame" for awesome threads. If so, this thread would definitely make the cut.

how so?

Sep 16, 2013 at 03:17 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Truly Classic

There is just a lot of subtle and very ironic humor in this thread... Might be just me... or maybe not.

Sep 16, 2013 at 04:12 PM
Josh Evilsizor
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Truly Classic

deepbluejh wrote:
There is just a lot of subtle and very ironic humor in this thread... Might be just me... or maybe not.

I was recently told it's only funny if everyone's laughing... so apparently this thread is not humorous.

Sep 18, 2013 at 07:43 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Truly Classic

lol deepblue and josh... stop dancing around it and just say what you want to say.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Truly Classic

I often times look around here and envy most of the work I see. So many different angles, so many cool aspects, so many different styles, and so many different subjects.

But at the end of the day, framing a couple with their heads in the bottom 5% corner of a frame, with 45° of tilt, and having completely blank and open space everywhere else isn't something I see myself in 20 years going, "Man, I'm glad I took that picture." Additionally, even if the couple still loves the pictures, most of my clients (currently, I'm hoping to get away from this) will never buy an album, nor print any pictures. They want digital files, and do nothing with them. Not all of them, but a good majority of them. So the likelihood is that many people will lose their CD's or thumbdrives in 5-10 years, and not care anymore. Which is sad.

ANYWAY... the moral of this story is I shoot for me. I always look back at some images and think about what I could have done better or just plain differently. But if I shoot for me, and "me" is a somewhat classic style that strives to emulate the classic look of film, and offers framing and angles that are flattering, classic, but still fun and envelope-pushing, then I'm happy, and if my clients love me and my work, they too will be happy in 5 week, 5 months, 5 years, and 50 years.

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Truly Classic

Prettym1k3 wrote:
most of my clients (currently, I'm hoping to get away from this) will never buy an album, nor print any pictures

I had assumed you were in a higher price bracket where most of your clients would want an album.

Sep 18, 2013 at 06:56 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Truly Classic

hardlyboring wrote:
These photos are fantastic.

less and less people these days (including photographers) can appreciate this type of work.

I think we are fooling ourselves if we think that anyone could do that. Taking memorable photos takes years of experience to master the correct technique to get that "moment".

+1

Sep 18, 2013 at 07:00 PM
ssaldana
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Truly Classic

canerino wrote:
JFK and Jacqueline's wedding photos from LIFE magazine. I love how simple they are:

http://life.time.com/history/when-jfk-and-jackie-wed-life-photos-from-newport-september-1953/?iid=lb-gal-viewagn#1

It raises a question for me...will my images stand the test of time? Will your images stand the test of time? Do you care?

Chuck, love the link. This is truly the direction I'm trying to head toward with each new wedding. Simple, classic, timeless. Photos that age so well with gimmick and trends at a minimum.

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.