Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Truly Classic

amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Truly Classic

So, what I've gotten from this thread is...

If you want your images to stand this "test of time", make sure a couple of high profile celebrities are in them.

Don't post them to Fred Miranda for comments.

Oh, and use VSCO. Definitely use VSCO. Those blacks are clearly lifted.

Sep 13, 2013 at 05:10 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Truly Classic

D. Diggler wrote:
And so what does that say about the commenters here?

I just have to: http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2006/06/great-photographers-on-internet.html

Actually, I think that technique, technology and expectations have risen in the intervening years. The photographers may have been working under constraints imposed by the family. They more than likely were shooting with Leicas (probably IIIg or M3) unobtrusively. It would be interesting to know more about it.

Sep 13, 2013 at 06:04 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Truly Classic

I wonder this is because it is JFK. If it is a nobody, I doubt images like these will stand the test of time.
While there are some great moments, there are a few terrible shots. Stuff that are fundamental like shooting the little girl from standing height. Or dancing shot where faces of both B&G were not captured. Good PJ-ing is not happy snapping away. It takes thought and deliberation to capture the situation's best angle.

Sep 14, 2013 at 01:02 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Truly Classic

canerino wrote:
I think this is really what I am trying to say. The photographs of JFK and Jackie's wedding are unabashedly simple and about the couple. I think this is probably the main reason that we can look at them in this forum today and say 'yea, those are nice photographs' especially considering the time they were taken but nobody can say 'yea, those are really cheesey because now xxxxx is the trend'.

I wrote an article on why photos become timeless for Bridal Guide, and in my opinion, this is the key. People being people, sharing the human condition - this is something which speaks to us on a core level and which anyone, anywhere of any generation can relate to. And because it transcends generations, it transcends time. Reality, by definition, can never go out of style.

http://www.bridalguide.com/blogs/bridal-buzz/timeless-wedding-photos

Sep 14, 2013 at 02:33 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Truly Classic

I think a huge thing being overlooked is sure, these are simple and about the couple, but you know who else can shoot that? Anyone with a smartphone. Being different makes you able to do this for a living a hell of a lot easier IMO

Sep 14, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Nektario K
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Truly Classic

D. Diggler wrote:
And so what does that say about the commenters here?

That they're pretty honest...
Not every shot in that set is good..please..gimme a break,,,
Yes there are some good candids- but some are down right misses- dance shots are misses for example..
Let's not fall for every shot because of who the subjects are and because of the age of images - ...
Simple is nice and it works for me.. I don't recall asking a bride to hang off a cliff in any of my shoots or any photog. I know....

It's the trash the dress stuff and none sense that ruins the classic. And actually cost a bride her life last year as she drowned with her wedding dress getting wet and heavy on her, the current took her and she drowned right there...They pulled her out a few hours later-- made world headlines.. very sad.
Apply the KISS rule and be happy...

Sep 14, 2013 at 06:36 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Truly Classic

I have not read but a few comments and here is what I have to say.

These photos are fantastic. They are simple, classic, to the point, and most importantly they are about the couple and the guests.

It is extremely frustrating to me that less and less people these days (including photographers) can appreciate this type of work. I agree that being different, taking risks, and shooting "shiny" things sells and keeps us different. However, I think that most of the time we are missing the point. IMO the best photos are almost always the simplest ones. I think we are fooling ourselves if we think that anyone could do that. Taking memorable photos takes years of experience to master the correct technique to get that "moment".

Technology today makes it EXTREMELY easy to take photos. Almost to easy. Perhaps some of the appeal of these is lost in people because we are so used to things being so easy and accessible. Back then photography was not something everyone did at such a high level. Hiring a pro was just part something you did the same as hiring a plumber or a carpenter.

I find it kind of sad that technology has brought us to the point where less value is placed on professional photography.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Truly Classic

Nektario K wrote:
I don't recall asking a bride to hang off a cliff in any of my shoots or any photog. I know....

Don't be mad bro.

http://i.imgur.com/3qRRYCw.jpg

Nektario K wrote:
It's the trash the dress stuff and none sense that ruins the classic. And actually cost a bride her life last year as she drowned with her wedding dress getting wet and heavy on her, the current took her and she drowned right there...They pulled her out a few hours later-- made world headlines.. very sad.
Apply the KISS rule and be happy...

doing dumb things has consequences.

Sep 15, 2013 at 06:40 AM
mjoshi
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Truly Classic

There is nothing special about this images except this are of JFK, and that is what makes it special. If you show it to people who dont know JFK they will not know the difference. Only good thing about it is, it cares more about subjects and their connections instead of weird angles and composition that we see common here.

Sep 15, 2013 at 07:41 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Truly Classic

jeremy_clay wrote:
I think a huge thing being overlooked is sure, these are simple and about the couple, but you know who else can shoot that? Anyone with a smartphone. Being different makes you able to do this for a living a hell of a lot easier IMO

Good point, but how far do we have to go? Differences can be subtle instead of over-the-top. I mean, there are at least a few guys on here who do killer work and it's really just their eye, awareness or use of light, and skilled processing (skilled, not weird or trendy) that makes the difference.

Edit: Everything else aside, I do agree with the people who are saying these JFK shots really aren't strong enough to drive the point home that we're trying to make here.

Sep 15, 2013 at 09:26 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Truly Classic

stevez32 wrote:
Asides for one or two of the cake shots and perhaps the stairway shot, if you had modern couples in the same positions and same environment these would not be well received by most commenters here (for what thats worth at least). I suppose I'm not sure what you are seeing as "classic" and how you define the term as desirable except for a photo that has subjects from years past.

I know it is difficult to separate the subject from a photo, but I think if someone is trying to gauge their work on how it stands up today
...Show more

Exactly what I was thinking...

There are a couple nice photos there, but largely what I see is a lot of mediocre photography of beautiful, famous people.

Sep 15, 2013 at 09:31 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Truly Classic

amonline wrote:
So, what I've gotten from this thread is...

If you want your images to stand this "test of time", make sure a couple of high profile celebrities are in them.

Don't post them to Fred Miranda for comments.

Oh, and use VSCO. Definitely use VSCO. Those blacks are clearly lifted.

Funny... and mostly true.

But I thought the opposite about the black in these photos... most of them are crushed into oblivion. The tonality is quite poor in most of the pictures. I guess that's forgiven because they are both old and shot with film.

Sep 15, 2013 at 09:33 AM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Truly Classic

I think the one thing everyone needs to keep in perspective when saying that these images are only good because they're of JFK and Jackie O is... In our clients family, they are celebrities. So in 60 years are the images we make of our clients going to evoke "that's a really great picture" from the people who consider them "famous"?

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Truly Classic

deepbluejh wrote:
Funny... and mostly true.

But I thought the opposite about the black in these photos... most of them are crushed into oblivion. The tonality is quite poor in most of the pictures. I guess that's forgiven because they are both old and shot with film.

I was joking. The "lifted" blacks on the edges are most likely inconsistency issue. The black ARE generally crushed.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Truly Classic

These look a lot like what we normally photograph every week (except for the odd proclivity for shooting everything vertically). Didn't strike me as mediocre at all, particularly if you forgive the performance of film indoors.

jeremy_clay wrote:

Getting ahead is usually more a factor of doing the things people won't do more than doing the things they can't do, at least in my experience.

- trr

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Truly Classic

ckhagen wrote:
I think the one thing everyone needs to keep in perspective when saying that these images are only good because they're of JFK and Jackie O is... In our clients family, they are celebrities. So in 60 years are the images we make of our clients going to evoke "that's a really great picture" from the people who consider them "famous"?

Although not "quite" as elaborate and high society-ish my parents wedding photos from 1951 have a similar look. The photos mean a lot to me but I wouldn't expect any strangers to give a hoot about them, weddings are a personal thing, a big important event for those involved with limited interest to those few people, not the world. These are interesting to many people more because of content than style.
These are very simple images, little of the photographers personalty is seen unlike today where there is a lot more of the photographers fingerprints on the style and content (which may or may not reflect the couple's personality) as a art director friend sometimes says, "we put a lot of frosting on that cupcake!"
Things were a lot stuffier back then maybe because it's a PITA to do wacky shots with a speed graphic, possibly because the photoworld wasn;t quite as free and creative as today.

Maybe old Joe Kennedy should have had a theme, and dressed the family as bootleggers....

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Truly Classic

If this wasn't the official photographer, and I'm sure (and quite hopeful) it wasn't. Was this the original Uncle Bob?

Sep 15, 2013 at 01:37 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Truly Classic

friscoron wrote:
Was this the original Uncle Bob?

Only if Life magazine hired Uncle Bobs to cover celebrity weddings! She was actually in her 20's when she got the assignment.

Sep 15, 2013 at 02:40 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Truly Classic

dmacmillan wrote:
Only if Life magazine hired Uncle Bobs to cover celebrity weddings! She was actually in her 20's when she got the assignment.

The person who shot this was hired by Life Magazine to shoot this? No way. There's no way I'll believe this. I'm not talking about the official photographer, but the person whose shot the photos from the link that Chuck provided. There is no way that was a Life photographer. No way. That had to be someone at the wedding, a guest, with a nice point and shoot film camera from back in the day. A Kodak whatever.

Sep 15, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Truly Classic

friscoron wrote:
The person who shot this was hired by Life Magazine to shoot this? No way. There's no way I'll believe this. I'm not talking about the official photographer, but the person whose shot the photos from the link that Chuck provided. There is no way that was a Life photographer. No way. That had to be someone at the wedding, a guest, with a nice point and shoot film camera from back in the day. A Kodak whatever.

This is what real wedding photojournailsm looks like...it always helps to read the caption...

When they married in Rhode Island on September 12, 1953, it was national news. LIFE magazine sent photographer Lisa Larsen, then in her late 20s, to cover the highly publicized event. Her photos from the occasion offer not only a solid before-and-after record of the nuptials, but a surprisingly intimate chronicle of one of the most high-profile American weddings of the 20th century. Here, on the 60th anniversary of John and Jackie Kennedy’s wedding, LIFE.com presents a gallery of the very best of Lisa Larsen’s many pictures from that day.

Read more: http://life.time.com/history/when-jfk-and-jackie-wed-life-photos-from-newport-september-1953/#ixzz2f0QepnEV

Sep 15, 2013 at 06:15 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.