Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

ryoung

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

I'm looking to enter the FF world. I shoot architecture and landscapes 99% of the time. I don't need fast shutter. 99% of my shots are done at iso100. I rarely print, and when I do, they are never over 30". Looking to get the body for $1000 or less. Does the 1Ds Mark II fit my needs best?

I have a 17-40, 24-105, and a 70-200 f/4 IS if it matters. Just sold my old ancient crop camera.

Sep 12, 2013 at 08:19 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

Yes, it is my favorite cam...all my bodies come and go this one stay for good. The file has its unique look in a great way compared to all canon FF.

Sep 12, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Paratima
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

Mine is still functioning grandly. Gives RAW files that support an incredible amount of massaging. I have few problems with ISO up to 1600. Great camera & builds strong arms, too.

For doing much in the way of architecture, you may find that a TS-E lens or two can save you a world of trouble.

Sep 12, 2013 at 08:39 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

Awesome DSLR at Low Iso! Image quality is superb.

Sep 12, 2013 at 08:40 PM
mak65
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

I love mine.

Sep 12, 2013 at 08:56 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

I used to like the images from that better than my1ds3... But, with the new high ISO capable cameras out there...... If you're gonna keep the ISO down, It is still a stellar camera.

Sep 12, 2013 at 09:38 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

Get it!!!!!

Sep 12, 2013 at 09:43 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

As long as you haven't gotten used to much superior interface and battery life of the newer 1 series, so that going back won't be a shock at how cumbersome the 1Ds II and 1D II are to use now, then yes it has terrific IQ to say ISO 800 and still very good AF.

However, I'd still take a 5D II over the 1Ds II because I swear LV is a godsend for those doing landscape, architecture and using TS-E lenses. Do not underestimate how useful it is. Also 5D II is much better at high ISO, is still excellent at low ISO and the extra 5MP allow some flexibility in cropping. Unless you need the tank like build of the 1Ds II get the 5D II or even 6D.

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

I think I have the perfect combination. 1d mark IV for the 600 II and wildlife. And the 1ds MkII for people, landscapes, job pictures (architecture) and anything else that calls for FF.

Al

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

kbarrera wrote:
I think I have the perfect combination. 1d mark IV for the 600 II and wildlife. And the 1ds MkII for people, landscapes, job pictures (architecture) and anything else that calls for FF.

Al

Why not just get the 5D III and have the best of both worlds? Your only losing out on fps and the 1D IV only has a 10% reach advantage when FL limited.

Before you say anything, note, I have 5D III and 1D X and still and can't bring myself to sell the 1D IV, at least until 7D II or high MP FF arrives.

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

I agree with Pixel. I really loved my 1Ds2, but for landscapes and architecture - or specifically, anything on a tripod - the 5D2 will be better due to LV. If you're never on a tripod it won't matter, but regardless what you think of LV now, you'll love it once you use it.

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM
jvphotos
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

I'd sure like to have one

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

I agree with Pixel and Stan. I sold my 1Ds2 after getting a 5D2 and haven't looked back. The LV is essential for architecture, and the added IQ is noticeable -- 21MP vs. nearly 17MP. I know use 1Ds3 and 5D2 as my top bodies.

Like the 5D original, the prices for the 1Ds2 are appealing, so I won't try to talk you out of either of these for beginning FF.

Have fun!

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:28 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

Never cared for the build or image quality of the 5dII, didn't use LV. I loved what the 1DsII offered, image quality, build, functions. I only sold it after getting a too good to pass up deal on a 1DsIII. Now I use LV also, Who Knew...

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:08 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

amazing images ISO 100-800, amazing value these days.. there are more modern options but i can't argue with the images from these (ancient) bodies

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

One thing I've found when talking about cameras here, is that once the new model comes out the previous model always had the best IQ ever and the newer model is not as good. When 1Ds II came out, every body said 1Ds had best ever IQ, a beautiful rendering that only digic II could afford. Then 1Ds III comes out and 1Ds II has best rendering ever a film like quality that IDs III couldn't reproduce. Now ID X is out and 1Ds III has best IQ ever and in all cases they are always much better than corresponding 5 series.

As they say beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Sep 13, 2013 at 01:08 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

I loved mine. The three gotcha are:

1) The LCD isn't great - sometimes hard to judge critical focus

2) No live view

3) No self cleaning sensor

After that - it's awesome. But, given the choice I'd go with a 5D2 for the reasons above.

Sep 13, 2013 at 01:23 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

Until I get together the funds for a 5D3 there isn't anything else that I'd trade my 1Ds2 for. AF is good, 16.7 MP fits my main print size well (I don't print much over the A3 size range). ISO performance is okay at 800 and still useable at 1600 (H is only for emergencies!). The screen is small and low res, but I only really use a screen for the histogram. My camera rarely spends time on a tripod so LV isn't missed. The FPS is slow, but the buffer is so slow to clear the FPS couldn't really be any faster! Buffer size/clearing speed is my main gripe with the camera. It also needs a manual sensor clean a lot. I use it alongside a 7D and they pair up well, although switching between the two user interfaces can catch you out especially in a wedding environment.

Sep 13, 2013 at 04:01 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

If you don't need high ISO. Then the 1Ds2 is an excellent camera

Sep 13, 2013 at 04:37 AM
ryoung

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is the 1ds Mark ii still a great camera?

I think I will eventually go to a 5d III once the used prices come down, but that will probably be a few years or more at least. I think I'm going to go with the 1ds II for now, and possibly a ts-e lens to compliment. I'm used to the old menus, and live view isn't a deal breaker for me, although it would be nice.

Sep 13, 2013 at 06:05 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.