New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · LR4 folders dissapear after 5 days

Steve Brandt
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR4 folders dissapear after 5 days

Hey guys I noticed that when I went to edit a wedding I shot last weekend that... THE FOLDER WAS GONE! Which made my heart skip a beat, but I went into my HDD and saw that the folder was in my computers picture folder but had some how removed itself from my LR catalog... Any idea on why that happens? I think I have had that happen a few times in the past as well...

Sep 12, 2013 at 04:44 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR4 folders dissapear after 5 days

What version of Lr 4 are you using? Versions prior to 4.4 had some cataloging problems.

Brian A

Sep 12, 2013 at 07:46 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR4 folders dissapear after 5 days

Was the folder gone or had it just shifted ? Unless you show the parent folder(s) there is a risk that the folder order will change as a new one is added, and when it is no longer where it was it is easy to think that it has gone. I have all of my photos in folders that are below a single parent folder and I include that parent folder in the list. Then the sequence stays constant.

- Alan

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR4 folders dissapear after 5 days

Do you use import with copy to move the files from the card to your computer?

I received an error message during a backup and from that time forward, any files imported would be moved to the computer and show up in the catalog for a day, then disappear from the catalog.

I tried creating a new catalog and importing a good backup. I didn't receive any errors, but the problem remained.

I finally gave up and upgraded to LR5. I haven't had any problems since.

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Steve Brandt
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR4 folders dissapear after 5 days

Thanks for the replies Brian and Alan.

@Brian
I have 4.1 so I will get the latest asap, or do you suggest upgrading to LR5? I heard from a friend that there was some issues in 5 where when he tried to save as a small web res jpeg that the sharpening he applied was not actually applied to that file... not a huge deal but annoying none the less, have any of you that own LR5 have this same problem?

@Alan
It is funny you ask that because I did check to see if it had shifted and it hadnt, the files were not in my catalog period(I did a search for them) However I did have problems with importing into my original parent folder and having the folders shift as you said. I used to have it set to import it as follows "Local Disc C(which was technically the my pictures folder) and then the 20XX-XX-XX etc. However one day it stopped doing that and created a 2013 parent folder inside the local disc folder and imported to that(using the 20XX-XX-XX folder for each picture group). When I tried to change it back to the original setting it created a 2013 folder INSIDE the other 2013 folder lol. So I tried a few different things and gave up and let it import as it was...

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR4 folders dissapear after 5 days

I don't yet know how good Lr 5.2 is but the problems exporting smaller files has supposedly been fixed. Luckily I was hardly affected by that issue.

It seems that you are letting Lr name its own folders based on the capture date or import date. I don't work that way myself. I import everything into a single folder, applying a file rename preset as they are imported. Then I cull the obviously cullable and move the rest to a folder called "unsorted". From there I will eventually apply ratings and so on and move the files to folders based on the rating (not that this is necessary if I only use Lr, but I want to be able to use other programs to find those files too, without the benefit of Lr metadata and attributes).

If your folder vanished, or seemed to, are you sure that it has the correct date ? Could the date in the camera have been reset so what you know is the latest batch of images from the camera is in a folder with an unexpected name ? That's one good reason for not letting Lr apply date-based names automatically.

- Alan

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.