New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · New Canon Body...

Jefferson
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Canon Body...

Not from Canon... for me...

Gave my 30D and 17-40L away to a family member… now I another want a second body…

Want another full frame Canon Body… have a 5Dc that I will keep, but I am considering the 1D IV along with the 1Ds III, but I don’t hear enough about the 1Ds full frame version… the emphasis being on IQ.

I hear quite a lot about the 5D III.

Would like to have a 1D body… mostly for weather protection and build, but the 5D III is not off the table…

The 1Dx… unless I win the lotto… is off the table.

5 or 6 fps is fine…

So how does the 1Ds III compare to the 1D IV … IQ in bright light (noon ‘till 3pm shooting outdoors), and indoor club lighting are the parameters I am looking at… IQ has the emphasis…

Would like to see some images from the 1Ds III… I know what the 1D IV is capable of, but would still like to see some images with indoor… club type lighting along with exif…

I like seeing great captures…

Don’t shoot video… don’t use live view… most shooting is done in Manual Exposure Mode using histogram as reference …

Jefferson

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Canon Body...

I think the problem with the Ds3 is its high iso / long expossure performance .

I don't know about your market but here in the uk used Ds3's go for just under what you can hunt out a 5D3 for . (Although the 1series is dropping value again) so if its close id choose the 5D3

Sep 12, 2013 at 03:03 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Canon Body...

As mentioned in the previous comment - the 1Ds3 is highly limited in club lighting environments due to having only ISO3200 available. The 1D3 can managed ISO6400 and do it fairly well (I use it all the time in clubs and bars with crappy lighting). You are really looking at ISO6400 to 12800 and a f/1.4 prime for most things in club/bar lighting though. For this reason, I usually only bring my 5D2 to bars/clubs instead of my 1D3 (unless I am covering an event, then both come along for the ride). My point is, the 1Ds3 is an untenable solution if you are at all interested in club/bar/concert/street nightlife photography even with some of the widest aperture lenses available on the market.

1D3 + 85L (first two) and 35L (last two)

http://jkamnetz.smugmug.com/TheRest-2/2013-Summer/i-kDCV5Xk/0/L/Nightlife-16-L.jpg

http://jkamnetz.smugmug.com/TheRest-2/2013-Summer/i-GHhcHJV/0/L/Nightlife-19-L.jpg

http://jkamnetz.smugmug.com/TheRest-2/UTMB-AMWA-Ball-2013/i-895s9Gt/0/L/untitled-347-L.jpg

^this one was at ISO3200

http://jkamnetz.smugmug.com/TheRest-2/UTMB-AMWA-Ball-2013/i-n3j3HGb/0/L/untitled-393-L.jpg

^pushed a few stops in post. not the best photo but it demonstrates the limited high iso abilities of even the 1d3

Sep 12, 2013 at 06:35 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Canon Body...

I'd get the 5D3 if you can afford it, especially for higher ISOs.

Sep 12, 2013 at 07:19 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Canon Body...

Looking at a reply to another post by mttran... had not cosidered the 1Ds II...

With 1.4 glass... how would it do in club type lighting?

Thinking of pairing it with a 50 f/1.2L for the low light stuff...

Sep 12, 2013 at 08:32 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Canon Body...

Jefferson wrote:
Looking at a reply to another post by mttran... had not cosidered the 1Ds II...

With 1.4 glass... how would it do in club type lighting?

Thinking of pairing it with a 50 f/1.2L for the low light stuff...

A 50/1.2 or 35/1.4 and ISO3200 is the absolute bare minimum required in bar/club lighting - and I am talking barely scraping by with a shutter speed of 1/10 to 1/25, and only then when the lighting gods smile upon you. If you are trying to take these photos professionally and not miss intermediate difficulty photo opportunities, you NEED ISO6400, AT LEAST. The 1Ds3 and 1Ds2 cannot do this. If this is one of the prime reasons you are purchasing a new camera, don't shoot yourself in the foot from the start by gimping your low light abilities. A lot of my club photography has been ISO6400 to 25600. Typically, a slight majority of higher ISO stuff just goes to B&W in post because the coloration is so distorted from chroma noise and terrible dynamic range that you really need to drop color altogether.

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Canon Body...

Who's afraid of the big bad strobe, the big bad strobe, the big bad strobe?

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:33 AM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Canon Body...

Jefferson,

if you are thinking of picking up 1D4 and 1Ds3, why not just pick up 1Dx with those combo price?
I want that exact combo but with those combo prices, I can surely pick me up a nicely used 1Dx...
I dunno, I'll see what you end up with... and I'll make my move

/r
Andy

Sep 13, 2013 at 07:08 AM
outlawyer
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Canon Body...

Jeff, I think you love your 5D as much as I love mine. If so, you'd probably love the 6D just as much as I love mine too. It's the only FF body I've had (including 1 series) that shares the 5's magic. Yeah, I said it. Magic!

Sep 13, 2013 at 08:37 AM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Canon Body...

Six selling points for the 6D Taken from Bryan Carnathan’s Review
Review Date: 2012-12-16

This is a body that I had not considered… outlawyer got my attention relating the IQ of the 6D to that of my 5D… So I read this review… twice…

…”I do think that the 6D is producing less noise than even the 5D III when compared at their native resolutions. You won't see much difference at lower ISO settings, but somewhere around ISO 800 to 1600, I can start to see a slight difference.”… Bryan Carnathan’s Review

…”The 6D up-sized images were output to 5D III resolution. The differences between these two cameras become harder to see at identical output resolution, but the 6D retains advantage at very high ISO settings.”… Bryan Carnathan’s Review

…”The 6D's available shutter speed range is 1/4000 to 30 sec. as well as bulb. The 6D's X-sync speed is 1/180 sec”… Bryan Carnathan’s Review

I seldom go over 1/640, most of my shooting is in the 1/250 to 1/30 sec. range.

…”I can focus the 6D's center point on a subject with reasonable contrast down until autoexposure gives me a setting of 160 at 10 seconds and f/2.8 (really dark) with the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens mounted (note that the 6D's metering range spec is listed at EV 1-20).

The Canon EOS 1D X's center point could not focus on the same subject with the same lens mounted.”… Bryan Carnathan’s Review

Interesting

…“The 6D did a good job tracking these animals (horses) with the center AF point working quite well. The peripheral AF points did not perform as well, but their results were not bad - I'm not disappointed.”… Bryan Carnathan’s Review

Not a deal killer for me.

…”Build quality was also not sacrificed in the 6D. My understanding is that this camera has a level of weather sealing, but I have not been able to get clarification on what that level is.”… Bryan Carnathan’s Review

Now some time to see if I understand everything I just learned…
Seems the 6D may be at the top of the list...

Jefferson

Sep 13, 2013 at 04:46 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.