Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · SportsShooter a taboo subject in the Sports Corner…?

Jefferson
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SportsShooter a taboo subject in the Sports Corner…?

Is SportsShooter a taboo subject in the Sports Corner…?

Everyone else is fair game and open to criticism but not the SportsShooter members or their “Clubhouse”?

Please clarify…

Jefferson

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SportsShooter a taboo subject in the Sports Corner…?

Sportsshooter is an awesome resource, but as with anything, there are plus and minuses. The thing about it though is that you never know who is looking at the message boards and you can't hide behind an alias (well I guess you technically could).

There was a post on their message board about a year ago from a guy mouthing off on his boss. Word got around and he was fired for it.

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SportsShooter a taboo subject in the Sports Corner…?

I don't think that sportsshooter.com is taboo in here except when one asks for a sponsor. That's a definite no-no.

Excerpt from the Sports Corner rules:
"6. I need a sponsor - No. These posts will be locked or deleted. Period. The FM Forums are not the place to ask for a sponsor to SportsShooter. If you need to find one, be a positive member of the boards. Actively participate in critiques, post photos and show each time you shoot and post that you are trying to get better and better, and you will make friends. Many members here are SportsShooter members, and as you earn respect here and become an asset to these boards, or at least someone who is professional and shows that they want to learn and become a better photographer, you will be able to find someone who may sponsor you."

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM
ian408
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SportsShooter a taboo subject in the Sports Corner…?

Several of the discussion threads get a few responses and then are locked. Not sure why they need to be locked. Then again, they are them and FM is FM. Not sure why anyone would feel the need to discuss other forums here unless it's to ask for guidance on becoming a member.

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SportsShooter a taboo subject in the Sports Corner…?

I locked the previous thread because I saw the thread potentially go downhill real quick and it was my choice to lock it before it had the chance.

SportsShooter is not a taboo subject. But I do not want discussions to put FM members in a bad light. If you do not like SportsShooter, if you were turned down and are mad about it, if you do not like some of the people over there, just refrain from commenting.

SportsShooter is a great resource for working sports photographers, and is much more than the message boards. A lot of photographers here have come to FM with little to no knowledge of what the heck they were doing, and after posting images, learning from mistakes and critiques, have gotten better and better and moved from total cluelessness to working as team photographers, league photographers and wire photographers, and have made the decision to join SportsShooter with or without a sponsor.

This is a Sports Photography presentation board, not a bitch about SportsShooter board and when these non photo presentation posts come up I let them go until I see a negative trend and then they are done. I have been a member here since 2004 and the moderator of the Sports Corner for about 8 years. I have seen posts like this go bad very quickly.

More than just the people that post read these forums. SportsShooter senior members and founders, MaxPreps executives, wires, photo agencies, equipment manufacturers and many other read these posts, and I would rather them be positive and professional posts because it can be beneficial to the members here.

Sep 12, 2013 at 01:32 PM
ian408
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SportsShooter a taboo subject in the Sports Corner…?

Just because something is negative does not mean it is unprofessional or not beneficial to members-most folks can quickly discern who the unprofessional folks are-and that is probably more beneficial to members and outliers as well-I mean would you want to hire someone who bashes their employer or is generally negative about things?

Sep 12, 2013 at 02:02 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SportsShooter a taboo subject in the Sports Corner…?

I agree, negative does not mean unprofessional, but the negative I am talking about lowers the standard of professionalism of this board to the level of other photo message boards on the internet. Negatives posted just for the sheer entertainment of the poster or to antagonize other members is not appropriate. It has lead to non board related arguments, member banned by Fred, my box filling with PM complaints about so and so is always bashing this, bashing that. You provide backed up negatives about SportsShooter, great, but if you are just bashing SS because you were not accepted there, or you got your feelings hurt by responses to a post made over there and you want to vent, take it somewhere else. I do not want it here. Period. This is not a public board. It is Fred Miranda's board with rules set by him and the moderators. No one is forcing anyone to post here or be a member here, so if people do not like the rules, they do not have to participate. If they are going to post and participate in discussions, then the rules set by Fred and the mods need to be followed.

Sep 12, 2013 at 02:39 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SportsShooter a taboo subject in the Sports Corner…?

Bit touchy aren't we?... I understand most of your argument and would agree with the premise... but some of it just seems personal and defensive...

Jefferson

Sep 12, 2013 at 02:48 PM
ian408
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SportsShooter a taboo subject in the Sports Corner…?

I liken the SS comments to the parent with a camera posts. Except it's OK to have a discussion about all the bad PWCs cause.

I certainly don't like seeing threads that turn into flame fests either. That's of no benefit to anyone so I understand your desire not to see that.

Sep 12, 2013 at 03:35 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SportsShooter a taboo subject in the Sports Corner…?

Not personal. SportsShooter threads here tend to get out of hand, and are not in the spirit that Fred intended these message boards to be. I honestly hold every member here to a standard above other message boards out there. Volatile threads, whether they appear to the general public as volatile or not, are locked or removed to maintain the high quality of this site. My honest suggestion is, if you do not have anything constructive to add, move on to the next post.

Also, one of my biggest quirks, and something that Fred does not like at all, is starting a new thread to continue the discussion of a locked thread. If a thread gets locked, send a PM for clarification and leave it alone.

Sep 12, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SportsShooter a taboo subject in the Sports Corner…?

Gotcha... ...

Jefferson

Sep 12, 2013 at 04:11 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.