Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Multiple computers and network storage

anselwannab
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Multiple computers and network storage

I've read threads all over about multiple computers and photos stored on a NAS drive. I'm still totally confused. I'm looking to use something like Lightroom. I have two Mac Pro laptops, 750GB+ of pics and Synology 712 with RAIDed 3TBx2 drives.

I've been using DPP and named folders, and it works pretty well, for me. My wife complains that she can't get to the pics. I'd like to get a catalog system so she can access them more easily.

It seems one catalog on for two computers is a bozo no no?

There has to be software that will allow multiple computers to access files.

If that isn't easy, can Elements be used to just edit pics, with out the cataloging function. Edit, save. Could I still use DPP and Elements (not at the same time).

Sep 12, 2013 at 07:39 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Multiple computers and network storage

How about adobe bridge?

Sep 12, 2013 at 05:28 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Multiple computers and network storage

while you can put the images themselves on the NAS, the catalog (aka 'the database itself') has to reside locally. Depending on the size of it, you may be able to get away w/ something like Dropbox or some Chronosync automated copy/synch software.

Sep 12, 2013 at 06:14 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Multiple computers and network storage

Or use an app that can both use catalogs and also the files & folders directly.

I'm recently having fun with something called AfterShot. It does most everything LR does (a little more here, a little less there), produces better results than LR, is faster than LR and can use both catalogs and file/folder direct access at the same time. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1240054

Adobe bridge would be a good choice as well. Between it and ACR you have like, 100% of LR's functionality. Bridge is also faster than LR. Heh, I think everything is faster than LR actually.

Another fairly good one for RAW and Jpeg browsing and processing is ACDSee Pro. http://www.acdsee.com/en/products/acdsee-pro-3-mac - it has most of the functionality of ACR but with better browsing and viewing facilities. It's also faster than LR. ACDSee Pro actually supports a lot more than just images too.

Sep 12, 2013 at 07:43 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #5 · Multiple computers and network storage

If it's just a case of her wanting to view RAW files then you can get any RAW viewer to do that. The NAS drive is just serving up the files at that point. You might run into a file lock situation if you and her were trying to access the same file at once but that would probably be pretty rare.

I use Breezebrowser Pro for culling and LR for editing.

Sep 12, 2013 at 08:42 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #6 · Multiple computers and network storage

This is actually what I do, I have a gigabit NAS for the raws themselves. When I come back from shooting, I dump the files onto the NAS, and the import them into LR4 from there. LR4 catalog is stored locally, but backed up to the NAS.

I actually don't rely on the LR4 catalog at all long-term. When I'm done with a directory of files (each corresponds to a day of shooting or a specific event I shot at), I save all the XMPs to the NAS also (in the same directory).

The benefits of this setup are that I can use different computers to edit or postprocess files on the NAS at the same time, though not using the same directory at the same time, and the NAS is independent of the individual computers.

Don't forget to back up your NAS because even if it is RAID, it can still fail. I also use a NAS that can be locked and unlock, the only time I need to unlock it is when I copy new files to it or when I save the XMPs and catalog files to it (all the rest of the time the NAS is read-only).

Sep 12, 2013 at 08:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Multiple computers and network storage

LR won't let you load up a catalogue that is located on a network drive. If you are running windows though, you can fool it with a bit of clever jiggery pokery.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/766410/0&year=2009#7014717

Sep 12, 2013 at 09:42 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.1 #8 · Multiple computers and network storage

Interesting insights, thanks. Yes, my wife is not going to be doing curves or layers, if she can look at them and print them that would be great. Cropping is as ninja as she would get.

Does Elements have to use a catalog?

Sep 13, 2013 at 07:20 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Multiple computers and network storage

You could copy your Lr catalog to her computer and let her do what she wants to the images. However, you should avoid accessing the same image files at the same time. It may be that you can't do it anyway or it may be that Lr will try and then get confused. You should also avoid using .xmp files - instead, each catalog should just use its own database so that the two of you are not trying to save changes to the same files.

This should work for raw files but may come unstuck with DNG or JPG or TIF because Lr will put changes into those files.

In summary, there will be images stored on the network and a set of catalog / ACR cache / previews cache on each user's computer. Decide amongst yourselves who has authority to move or delete image files as doing so will also affect the other user.

Another option is to make a separate copy of the better images and/or the recent images for her to play with, and occasionally have delete what she is not interested in to prevent too much doubling up of image files. You might only have to do this for non-raw files.

- Alan

Sep 13, 2013 at 05:17 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.1 #10 · Multiple computers and network storage

I shoot RAW 90% of the time. Just a habit. I'm thinking that I might just make a .jpg version of mine. She's really only interested in pics of the kids. All my other stuff she could care less about- though kids are most of the new photos.

The woman wants me to print out all the pics of the kids on 4x6. I did one year and it almost killed me and the guy on Walmart thought I was crazy. 500GB of pics of the kids.

A 3TB RAID1 system with back ups on portable 3TB drive that I keep offsite- and still she worries about losing the pics. Never mind real one deteriorate and get lost.

Sep 14, 2013 at 06:32 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Multiple computers and network storage

anselwannab wrote:
I shoot RAW 90% of the time. Just a habit. I'm thinking that I might just make a .jpg version of mine. She's really only interested in pics of the kids. All my other stuff she could care less about- though kids are most of the new photos.

The woman wants me to print out all the pics of the kids on 4x6. I did one year and it almost killed me and the guy on Walmart thought I was crazy. 500GB of pics of the kids.

A 3TB RAID1 system with back ups on portable 3TB drive that I keep offsite-
...Show more

You could head over to Jeffrey Friedls site (http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies). He has a couple of export plugins that will dump all your pics to the local disk as jpegs and allow you to keep them sync'd with the LR catalogue. You might want to look at those and see if they can do what you want.

Your wife might not be as paranoid as you think - i've occasionally wondered what would happen to my pictures if i died, and the simple truth is that i'm the only person in the house who knows how to use lightroom, and the only person who understands the folder heirarchy....

Sep 14, 2013 at 06:54 AM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Multiple computers and network storage

You could try using Aperture in "Referenced" mode but have not tried to use the same Aperture program on 2 machines at the same time. In version 2 it would allow you install the program on several machines but only allow one to run at any time. The current version may be different. In Referenced mode then it will allow you to create a library and just have the jpg files for viewing. The RAW files will remain on the server.

Sep 17, 2013 at 07:33 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password