Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Fall Foliage near Boston?

enivelm

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fall Foliage near Boston?

Hi folks,

I'm going to be heading to Framingham, Mass (a suburb of Boston) in a little over a week and would like to go try a shoot some of the changing colors. I should be able to borrow a car for a day. Any recommendations for interesting places to go that would be up to an hour or two away? I tried searching this forum a bit, but couldn't find too many locations.

Thanks for the help!

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fall Foliage near Boston?

enivelm wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm going to be heading to Framingham, Mass (a suburb of Boston) in a little over a week and would like to go try a shoot some of the changing colors. I should be able to borrow a car for a day. Any recommendations for interesting places to go that would be up to an hour or two away? I tried searching this forum a bit, but couldn't find too many locations.

Thanks for the help!

That's much too early for Boston and immediate suburbs. Granted every year is different and in recent years the timing has become ever more erratic as seems has the weather, but for September 19th man I bet you need to drive way north, like Northeast Kingdom VT (and it will still probably be more than a week early) or some high elevations in the far northern tip of New Hampshire or way, way up into upper northwest Maine away from the coast. Maybe some of the earliest turning parts of the Adirondacks but that is really getting to be more than two hours away.

Sep 12, 2013 at 03:27 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fall Foliage near Boston?

My advice is to look for lighthouses or waterfalls, too early for fall color.

Sep 12, 2013 at 06:52 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fall Foliage near Boston?

A handy way to check foliage status reports, both for the current season and to see the progression in previous years, is The Foliage Network. Last year's report for September 19th showed only the beginning of color change in Vermont, northern New Hampshire and northern Maine.

Dave

Sep 12, 2013 at 07:23 AM
Bastian Bleu
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fall Foliage near Boston?

Much too early for color change around here. But if you are in Framingham and want a pretty cool place to check out and Photograph look up Borderland State Park in Easton, MA. It would be a 40 minute drive or so from Framingham but you might enjoy it.

Sep 12, 2013 at 07:51 AM
enivelm

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fall Foliage near Boston?

Darn, I was hoping we might get some early color.

@stanparker - any recommendations for lighthouses/waterfalls nearby Framingham?

@Bastian - thanks! I'll take a look.

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fall Foliage near Boston?

Here is a link to Northern Mass lighthouses: http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/ma.htm . You will have to judge which ones or how far you want to drive. Note also, often there is a quaint fishing village associated with a lighthouse, always good for photo ops. If you are willing to go as far as Salem or Plymouth, you will find other sights, as well.

Most of the waterfalls are in the Berkshires, probably out of range. However, there are some in Franklin County, about 1-1.5 hrs from you. There is a web site for all New England waterfalls, so you can see which ones are within your range in MA or NH: http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/ .

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM
NurseRatched

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fall Foliage near Boston?

Between Boston and Plymouth, on route 3A, (or via the commuter rail, Greenbush line) is the town of Scituate (pronounced sit-you-it). Very scenic, and a terrific lighthouse, although 2 weeks ago they still had some fencing up as they are still repairing the seawalls post-Sandy. If you can get out on a boat, Minot's Ledge Light is fantastic. Another great way to see the coast of the South Shore is to take the water taxi between Boston and Hingham - also an interesting place to shoot.

Sep 14, 2013 at 07:21 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fall Foliage near Boston?

I think the only place you would find any substantial color change is in Northern NH or up into VT. I live in Windham, NH and the only trees changing at all are the sickly ones or those that are located in marshy/swampy areas. I was in SC last fall (first time away from Fall in NH in 20 yrs!) so I am really looking forward to this Fall!

Sep 14, 2013 at 07:37 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.