Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Christine falls

kalina54
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Christine falls

I am fairly new to this and was looking for some constructive help. I appreciate all of you comments, Thanks you, k

kalina54 2013

NIKON D800    24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8 lens    31mm    f/16.0    1s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Sep 12, 2013 at 04:24 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Christine falls

Nice capture, I'm diggin' the framing composition.

I took a stab at tweaking on the color balance ... looked a bit blue/cyanic to me. Also added some USM sharpening/contrast and the slight crop.

Sep 12, 2013 at 05:11 AM
kalina54
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Christine falls

What a difference..Thank you so much. I will figure this processing thing out someday.

Sep 12, 2013 at 07:09 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Christine falls

Thanks, glad you like it.

kalina54 wrote:
I will figure this processing thing out someday.

I think we all have had that feeling at least once ... or maybe a few hundred times.

Stay the course as you embark on the journey and you'll get there. Lots of good people willing to help and a ton of resources are available.

I think people sometimes can get discouraged because they (unrealisticly) expect they should be able to learn it all in a super-short amount of time because they hear how easy it is and that anyone can do it.

True enough that it isn't that hard, but neither is cooking (which I haven't put forth the effort to learn yet). Any skill that we want to develop takes a bit of time/effort to be learned/applied ... but once you've done that it's yours for life.

Sep 12, 2013 at 02:19 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Christine falls

similar to Kent's rework.
Sampled midtones in the falling water for an estimated neutral point. Might be too yellow overall. Memory?
set black point
curves for increased contast

nice choice of shutter speed to blur the water and nice job preserving highlights in the water....always a challenge
pretty scene

scott

Sep 12, 2013 at 04:21 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Christine falls

As noted by previous posters, cyan color cast. I did some adjustments on the image using layer masks because several different adjustments were needed on different parts of the image. I did saturation and hue adjustments with layer masks to correct the blue tone of the waterfall portion and also at a lower opacity painted out some of the blue on the rocks. Applied levels to taste and did some dodging and burning on the rocks. Beautiful image and nice choice of framing.

A color calibration program for your monitor is something I would look into to ensure colors and brightness levels are accurate. Try not to feel overwhelmed, learning to process your images can take months, if not years. Your on the right track and the many members of FM are always willing to lend a hand.

Sep 13, 2013 at 01:00 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Christine falls

looks very good, Barbara
nice job
Scott

Sep 13, 2013 at 01:25 PM
johnmatrix84

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Christine falls

Nice composition and choice of exposure settings. Even though processing can take awhile to get the hang of, don't get frustrated. If you are starting out with images like that, you are way ahead.

Sep 13, 2013 at 01:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Christine falls

Thanks, Scott. It came out pretty good since I was doing corrections at 4:30 this morning.

Sep 13, 2013 at 09:26 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Christine falls

Here's a possibility that I put together in 18 layers:

Sep 13, 2013 at 09:34 PM
kalina54
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Christine falls

Thank you all for the encouragement and wonderful suggestions..truly helpful!

Sep 15, 2013 at 09:29 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Christine falls

I love your composition and shutter speed, exposure is perfect. The biggest thing to remember is that RAW images straight out of camera will virtually always need some boost in contrast and sharpness. Also, an image of this nature, deep in shadow like this, usually tends to lean toward the cool-blue side, warming it up can help immensely. All of the re-do's are well done, you just need to keep learning and trying different methods! The folks here are always extremely generous and willing to help.

Jo

Sep 16, 2013 at 04:07 PM
beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Christine falls

I think Aunti is just showing off here.... I mean ~18~ layers!! Sheesh, I have a hard time getting to two!

keith

Sep 23, 2013 at 03:00 AM
kalina54
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Christine falls

Sep 23, 2013 at 03:22 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Christine falls

Nah. Just obsessive compulsive.