Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Software Recommendations

TSLA

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Software Recommendations

I'll be getting a new computer soon, and I plan to install Photoshop, Lightroom and the Nik Collection on it. Is there any other photo editing software that you would recommend?

In case you're wondering, I shoot primarily portrait, landscape and surfing photos.

Sep 12, 2013 at 02:06 AM
GeorgeM
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Software Recommendations

Photo Mechanic from http://www.camerabits.com/. Very, very quick at bringing up thumbnails for previewing. Right click, edit and it brings up the selected image(s) in photoshop ACR.

Does more than this but that's what I use it for 99% of the time.

Sure beats the wait time for Lightroom or Bridge

George

Sep 12, 2013 at 02:37 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Software Recommendations

Since not every program is available for every OS, it's good to indicate which operating system you will be using.

Sep 12, 2013 at 03:36 AM
TSLA

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Software Recommendations

DanBrown wrote:
Since not every program is available for every OS, it's good to indicate which operating system you will be using.

I'll be using a Mac.

Sep 12, 2013 at 05:05 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Software Recommendations

Don't forget Nikon View NX2. It will let you get more exif data and will show you the focus points so that if a shot is not focused correctly you might be able to see why not. Lr and Ps won't do that.

Consider buying into the Adobe Ps CC / Lr rent offer that will cost you $10 per month if you buy it this year.

Look at RawDigger for raw data histograms.
Look at Image Verifier for validating the structure of image files (using DNG converter).
Look at Zerene stacker or an equivalent for combining focus stacked images to get huge DOF that could not otherwise be achieved.
Look at DiglloydTools for verifying that copied files are intact after you do backups.
Look at DxO Viewpoint for straightening images on selected lines - works better than the upright tool in Lr 5.0 but version 5.2 might improve on 5.0 enough to make it useful and reliable.

Lots of other goodies but they mostly double up on what you already have even if they do work better or worse in some respects. e.g. Topaz, photoninja, etc. What you pick depends in part on how well you can drive Ps. So far I don't even qualify for a Ps learners permit

- Alan

Sep 13, 2013 at 05:03 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password