Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Flower, Butterfly, Hummers, Damsel

treebeard
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Flower, Butterfly, Hummers, Damsel

Last one for me....great looking set.

Sep 12, 2013 at 05:41 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Flower, Butterfly, Hummers, Damsel

eyelaser wrote:
Well I'd love to give nits and crits but these are all above my pay grade. The only thing I stack are pancakes and your 4 stack is delicious even without a name. The Gulf Fritillary is outrageous...as is the damsel which is not in too much distress.
It is us who should deliver thanks for all the amazing images you share....so "Thanks"
Eric

I pay homage to Eric's words and sentiments- well said.
But mostly I pay homage to this and your other posts, Birdie.
You have quickly become truly good at this stuff.
I can only say that The Peanut Gallery thinks all these pictures are swell.
Charlie

Sep 12, 2013 at 05:52 PM
normsmith
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Flower, Butterfly, Hummers, Damsel

Another super set! Birdie.Way to go!!
Norm

Sep 12, 2013 at 06:32 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Flower, Butterfly, Hummers, Damsel

Well I'd love to give nits and crits but these are all above my pay grade. The only thing I stack are pancakes and your 4 stack is delicious even without a name. The Gulf Fritillary is outrageous...as is the damsel which is not in too much distress.
It is us who should deliver thanks for all the amazing images you share....so "Thanks"
Eric

Eric , I don't know what to say other than you are so very kind :blushing:
I sincerely appreciate this forum and all the help I get from it.

A good looking set Birdie. The first is delisc, as Eric noted. Good light on the head & body of the damsel. Lovely shot. Hummer is well done as well.

Thank you so much Ken. Greatly appreciate your comments and thoughts.

great stuff birdie! that first image is a showstopper, although the others aren't far behind.

dorian

Dorian, so greatly appreciated . Thank you.

Excellent set, Birdie. Love them all my friend. However, the color of the flower, butterfly and damselfly are so good that make me pick them over hummers. Very great work.

- Tam

Tam, I do thank you so very much . You guys keep me going and practicing

Fine work Birdie on flash fill on the Gulf B-fly! I saw that shot, saw the kind of light you had and thought how did she get that detail on the shadow side Darn if that shot isn't spot on, congrats on techs and a fine shot it is!

Opener floral has lots of nice layering and is a nice angle with a uniquely colored BG
Last Damsel is a super shot, seems the 'energy' of this shot is a bit muted if that makes sense, need a bit more range on highlights to darks maybe? Sending you an email...........sorry

Karl

Karl, what can I say , you are so right about the damsel image . Love the shot you sent me. Not sure what you did, but it does look better Tell me your secret.

The unique colored background on the flower is the shutter by the window . It has so many layers of green paint on it, not sure what the color would be called now
I wish I could take the credit for the how the butterfly came out with the flash. I was playing around with the fill flash dialing it up and down to see what worked . I think I just got lucky

Karl, just want to thank you for your guidance , support and encouragement. You are always welcoming the new ones, encouraging us struggling ones ,and pushing us to do better. Your efforts and commitment to this forum has made it a very rewarding place to be. And you still find time to post the most gorgeous shots. Thank you Karl.

Birdie

Sep 12, 2013 at 08:57 PM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Flower, Butterfly, Hummers, Damsel

Wow, the first two are real beauties Birdie, the rest are none to shabby either!

Paul.

Sep 12, 2013 at 09:24 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Flower, Butterfly, Hummers, Damsel

Wonderful shots Birdie, no faves, all fab
David

Sep 12, 2013 at 09:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

acjd
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Flower, Butterfly, Hummers, Damsel

Birdie

I agree with dahlia.

You got at lot of nit picky CC in this thread. That means ur very, very good.

No nits from me. I am looking up

Ok, except I agree about the cobweb in 1 but hey, u get what u get ur not in a studio

Sep 12, 2013 at 09:46 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Flower, Butterfly, Hummers, Damsel

Another sweet set Roberta! Like that first one, where the "dew" takes the place of the petal detail!

Greg

Thank you so much Greg !

Your flower looks like a dahlia to me. Not a color combination I am familiar with, but there are *lots* of colors and sizes of dahlias.

#1 is a gorgeous image. Well, actually so are the rest of them!

Dave

Thank you for the ID Dave and for the very kind words.

very nice!

Jason, thank you !

Sensational as usual, esp the butterfly
Tim

Thanks so much Tim. Glad you liked them.

very nice Roberta

Kenny, much appreciated. Thank you.

The hummers are excellent with great sharpness and detail Birdie, as is the damsel. Great comp and look for the flower, but the stray webs draw my eyes, and what is that small black area in the top left corner?
You b'fly is waaay over the top great - masterful use of flash on that one ~ Ron

Thank you so much Ron. I think the flash was a happy accident, as I was just trying to find the right setting for fill flash. Not sure what the black spot is. Will have to clone it out

Well done Birdie!!!

Thank you so very much Ted !

A beautiful set Birdie!!!

Much appreciated, thank you

Birdie,
All your captures are beautiful!!!
So happy for you that you got your hummer enjoying your blue flowers
I think your flower is a dahlia!
It came out gorgeous
BeeBalm

Thanks so much BB. Now, the hummers are ignoring the salvia , so glad I got a couple of shots

Gorgeous work Birdie, this is a marvelous set. 2 could stand alone and make for a stupendous set

Nits and notes
1 is super well thought out. You stopped the stacking to the rear at just the right the spot. Having the petals in the back out of focus allows the eye to believe it the shot. Masterful.
2 I'm not too shy to nit a stunning shot a little room to the left of the leaf would relax the shot in my eye
3 okay, here's how good I think you are. The stem in the bg that bisects the wing is a no no. I'm looking at this as if it was my own and that would drive me crazy. I know, I have a ton of them in my "should I really delete these" folder
4 is a really nice peekaboo with the wing position and perfect amount of motion blur, love the bird that is sharp from stem to stern

Those are my thoughts for what they are worth, you asked for a push so....

Tim

Tim, thank you so much for the thoughts, comments and push.
I'm glad the stacking worked out. It is not something I do often or really enjoy doing. I use CS6 for stacking and that can be not so accurate at times.

I had not thought about more room on the left for no 2. Will see if I have some to play with.
You know , I saw that stem and thought much the same as it is a distraction. My cloning skills are not good enough to remove it. I do appreciate you noticing this, and I do agree. Now I just need to work on getting shots with it

I can't offer all the specific technical critiques, but I like these!

Thank you Ernie , liking them is just fine with me

A lovely set, Birdie; this is one where I enjoyed reading the comments almost as much as I enjoyed seeing the images.

The floral is my favorite! I had the same response as TIm...this is one where the stacking works perfectly; front petals and center sharp with fantastic detail, but back petals out of plane enhance the impact.

Greg

Thank you so much Greg. I, too, learn so much from some of the comments. I really don't like to focus stack, so am pleased that this one worked out and that it looks real and pleasing. Thank you

Gorgeous clicks!

Thank you so very much Jim.

Well stacked and delightful images. The last has the nice head turn and it sure is a beauty!

Brian

Much appreciated Brian, thank you

Birdie

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Flower, Butterfly, Hummers, Damsel

Another sweet set Roberta! Like that first one, where the "dew" takes the place of the petal detail!

Greg

Thank you so much Greg !

Your flower looks like a dahlia to me. Not a color combination I am familiar with, but there are *lots* of colors and sizes of dahlias.

#1 is a gorgeous image. Well, actually so are the rest of them!

Dave

Thank you for the ID Dave and for the very kind words.

very nice!

Jason, thank you !

Sensational as usual, esp the butterfly
Tim

Thanks so much Tim. Glad you liked them.

very nice Roberta

Kenny, much appreciated. Thank you.

The hummers are excellent with great sharpness and detail Birdie, as is the damsel. Great comp and look for the flower, but the stray webs draw my eyes, and what is that small black area in the top left corner?
You b'fly is waaay over the top great - masterful use of flash on that one ~ Ron

Thank you so much Ron. I think the flash was a happy accident, as I was just trying to find the right setting for fill flash. Not sure what the black spot is. Will have to clone it out

Well done Birdie!!!

Thank you so very much Ted !

A beautiful set Birdie!!!

Much appreciated, thank you

Birdie,
All your captures are beautiful!!!
So happy for you that you got your hummer enjoying your blue flowers
I think your flower is a dahlia!
It came out gorgeous
BeeBalm

Thanks so much BB. Now, the hummers are ignoring the salvia , so glad I got a couple of shots

Gorgeous work Birdie, this is a marvelous set. 2 could stand alone and make for a stupendous set

Nits and notes
1 is super well thought out. You stopped the stacking to the rear at just the right the spot. Having the petals in the back out of focus allows the eye to believe it the shot. Masterful.
2 I'm not too shy to nit a stunning shot a little room to the left of the leaf would relax the shot in my eye
3 okay, here's how good I think you are. The stem in the bg that bisects the wing is a no no. I'm looking at this as if it was my own and that would drive me crazy. I know, I have a ton of them in my "should I really delete these" folder
4 is a really nice peekaboo with the wing position and perfect amount of motion blur, love the bird that is sharp from stem to stern

Those are my thoughts for what they are worth, you asked for a push so....

Tim

Tim, thank you so much for the thoughts, comments and push.
I'm glad the stacking worked out. It is not something I do often or really enjoy doing. I use CS6 for stacking and that can be not so accurate at times.

I had not thought about more room on the left for no 2. Will see if I have some to play with.
You know , I saw that stem and thought much the same as it is a distraction. My cloning skills are not good enough to remove it. I do appreciate you noticing this, and I do agree. Now I just need to work on getting shots with it

I can't offer all the specific technical critiques, but I like these!

Thank you Ernie , liking them is just fine with me

A lovely set, Birdie; this is one where I enjoyed reading the comments almost as much as I enjoyed seeing the images.

The floral is my favorite! I had the same response as TIm...this is one where the stacking works perfectly; front petals and center sharp with fantastic detail, but back petals out of plane enhance the impact.

Greg

Thank you so much Greg. I, too, learn so much from some of the comments. I really don't like to focus stack, so am pleased that this one worked out and that it looks real and pleasing. Thank you

Gorgeous clicks!

Thank you so very much Jim.

Well stacked and delightful images. The last has the nice head turn and it sure is a beauty!

Brian

Much appreciated Brian, thank you

Birdie

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Ed Robertson
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Flower, Butterfly, Hummers, Damsel

What a nice job on these. Ed

Sep 14, 2013 at 05:20 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Flower, Butterfly, Hummers, Damsel

Birdie, It's a very nice set and I love #2 & 4.
The damselfly is a beauty too. Personally I would't close down my aperture to f14 for a shot like this.
With my D7000 I would be more like around f6.3 or wider. That's where the very nice BG's start with the 105.
Of course, that will reduce the DOF and amount of keepers. Just I personal thought.
Chris

Sep 14, 2013 at 08:24 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Flower, Butterfly, Hummers, Damsel

These are all great Roberta. #2 is stunning

Morris

Sep 14, 2013 at 08:27 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end