Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Semi - gear post. Please forgive

rhole
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Semi - gear post. Please forgive

As football and soccer season begin I have been thinking about, in addition to my two DSLR bodies, a 7D with a 70-200 and a Mark IV with a 300 on a monopod, carrying a compact camera of some sort.

I presently am having to switch lenses on the 7D to do any wide angle shots such as teams on the bench and crowd or field type of things.

I could carry a third DSLR with the wide zoom mounted but was thinking that the new compacts are getting pretty good and for this type of shot, may do the trick.

For example the Canon G15 has a 1.8 - 2.8 lens and has backed off on the megapixels so as to provide better (relative) high ISO performance. It is also fairly rugged and small enough to just hang off a strap to be ready to be used in a heartbeat.

For a few dollars more, those new mirrorless cameras from Fuji and Olympus provide smoking good pictures that easily rival most DSLRs though not too sure how "tough" or how fast performance wise they are?

Anyways, has anyone tried this approach on the sidelines? Sorry this is pretty much gear related but I am interested in how sports photographers may be using the newer technologies.

thanks
Ron

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Semi - gear post. Please forgive

Ron,
I think this is difficult to comment on without knowing the end use of your photos.

Sep 12, 2013 at 01:59 AM
rhole
• •
p.1 #3 · Semi - gear post. Please forgive

Hi Russ

For the most part, web at 920px x500px and newspaper (color) use at perhaps 1800px on long side. I would not anticipate anyone trying to make a poster or actually anything beyond maybe 10"x8" or so. I'm just thinking of atmosphere type pics, not real subject type pics.

And that is the thing - from what I read, those Fuji's and Olympus (and even Panasonic and Sony) output every bit of picture detail (at decent ISO say <1600) that the 7D does.

I guess my thinking is, that if there is not a noticeable drop off in picture quality then the added ergonomics and availability of the wide angle on demand, would be a net asset?

I suppose the other choice is to suck it up and carry the third body - not really a hardship but at the end of the day the body does tend to complain a bit these days.

Sep 12, 2013 at 03:18 AM
Widgic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Semi - gear post. Please forgive

I have a small Sony 5N that I bought for cheap. Replaceable lenses, good low light capabilities, 10fls capabilities, really small, at least compared to the Nikon 3Ds :-).

The drawback of the 5N is that once you shoot an image (or a burst), you need to wait for the image buffer to flush to the SD card before you can shoot again. But I think this is different on the newer models.

I usually take it with a Rokinon 8mm F/2.8 (with a crop factor of 1.5, it's a 12mm equivalent in 35mm parlance). The Rokinon is tiny, and it's is a fully manual lens: manual focus (but at that focal length who cares... depth of field is not a problem) and you have to use it in aperture priority or in manual exposure (which I do). Image quality is pretty reasonable considering the price (soft off center), but again, for the purpose it's pretty nice.

You can get something like these:

Denis
www.widgic.com

Sep 12, 2013 at 05:11 PM
rhole
• •
p.1 #5 · Semi - gear post. Please forgive

Thanks Dennis.

I think you are on the same wavelength that I am for this camera. And rather than beat myself up over should I shouldn't or shouldn't I, I bought a Canon EOS M.

Probably the worst choice of the lot, as it reportedly on early firmware it was terribly slow focusing. The new firmware is supposed to make it acceptable but I will have to wait and see.

I got the package with the 22mm 2.0 "prime" which I hope will be wide enough for most shots I am thinking about but now you have me thinking about a cool fisheye.

If it fails as a third event body I at least know I have a nice travel camera/lens combo that cost me under $400. One last thing was that I bought the EF/EF-S lens adapter. I have an ultra sharp 17-55 2.8 (the only reason I still have a 7D) that I think will work rather well on the M.

Thanks again for the shots and when I get this rig fired up and dialed in I will post a small report.

Sep 12, 2013 at 09:20 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password