Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

What is your best hiking tripod?

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · What is your best hiking tripod?

I will be hiking down and up Grand canyon in two months. I am preparing physically for it. One main purpose is to take pictures. I will need a good/not necessary the most expensive tripod for the trip. What is YOURS--meaning you have it and using it, if you have more than one to compare, even better?
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Bob

Sep 11, 2013 at 05:08 PM
Johnny B Goode
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · What is your best hiking tripod?

I JUST purchased a Feisol CT-3442 with an AcraTech GP ball head for hiking in the Smoky mountains next week. Total setup cost me under $800. The GP-S ball head would be better to allow the legs to fold up over the ball head. I went with the GP head because it was discounted due to cosmetic damage. I haven't had a chance to test it but it seems like a solid setup.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:44 PM
DtEW

p.1 #3 · What is your best hiking tripod?

Took a Tiltall Traveler w/Giottos MH1300 head up-and-down Mt. Lassen w/a 6D. Being a daytrip, wasn't packed heavy otherwise (took more water than necessary). Figure the higher elevation equalizes with the greater elevation change for Bright Angel.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:54 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #4 · What is your best hiking tripod?

The RRS 14 tripod is my travel and hiking setup. It's probably a bit expensive compared to some other options but I like the size and weight of it. I have the BH30 head but have tended to use the BH40 on it as it is only a couple ounces more. I would think the BH30 would be fine though. I've hiked with it in both the Grand Canyon and the Smokies, so I can approve it for those applications!

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=TQC14-LR-Pkg&type=3&eq=&desc=TQC-14-Tripod-with-BH-30-LR-Ballhead&key=it

Sep 12, 2013 at 04:45 PM
uscmatt99
• •
p.1 #5 · What is your best hiking tripod?

I don't do big hikes, but I have carried my rig on all-day city walks, if that counts. I use a Feisol 3441T with a Photoclam Pro Gold II head (lever release, dual panning base). Excellent compact lightweight setup, plenty tall for me at 5'11". Dual panning base is awesome in use. If I want to lighten the load for a mirrorless setup, I swap out the ballhead to an RRS BH-25. That head is not nearly as nice to use as the lock is for both the head and panning base, and it's not very smooth due to the small size of the ball, but it is even lighter and more compact.

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #6 · What is your best hiking tripod?

nugeny wrote:
... I will need a good/not necessary the most expensive tripod for the trip. What is YOURS--meaning you have it and using it, if you have more than one to compare, even better?

My first hiking/travel tripod was a Gitzo 1541T, my second a Benro C2680T bought as backup. After owning both for a year I sold the Gitzo as I thought the Benro was a better tripod. A brief spec:

Max. leg diameter 29mm
    Min. leg diameter 18.5mm
    Max. height w/o column extended: 51.6" (131cm)
    Folded length 16.7" (424mm)
    Weight 2.77lbs (1.26kg)

I'm approaching my 4th year of use with the Benro and mainly use it for travel; in cities (long exposure night shots), mountains and seashore. The tripod has been in the sea several times. It's sturdy and durable, and I'm currently using it with a short center column and an Acratech ballhead, on the left in the picture below.

If you Google "c2680t" the first two in the list are reputable dealers you can buy this tripod from. It costs around $340. The third listing is my review which also contains a brief comparison with the Gitzo 1541T. The review is 2+ years old but still relevant as the tripod hasn't changed.

Sep 13, 2013 at 01:41 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #7 · What is your best hiking tripod?

I hike with my RRS tvc-34L. In my opinion what is more important than a light tripod is a great, comfortable pack. Weight isn't a big deal when its transferred to your body in a very good way. Fitness is also an issue of course

Others may disagree and i expect them to think im crazy

Sep 13, 2013 at 03:35 PM
ffstory

p.1 #8 · What is your best hiking tripod?

Another vote for Feisol CT-3442. Great tripod, very solid.

Sep 13, 2013 at 09:46 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · What is your best hiking tripod?

RRS TQC-14 w/either a BH30 or BH40. just had to fly over to Beijing on short notice and forgot to throw it in. it is already missed. lousy weather.

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #10 · What is your best hiking tripod?

Hi nugeny,

To offer some perspective for you in your search...for years (I'm guessing at least 20-or-so by now) I lugged around one of my three, trusty-old Slik U212 metal & plastic tripods. They're nothing fancy by today's high-tech, CF standards but they held plenty of camera, film and video gear steady enough to get the shots. (And I can't even recall what clunky old beasts I was using before that!) Ungainly to lug around and use, and gruesome to look at, they're still in my arsenal, though I've since "graduated" to Velbon's 730 and 830 CF offerings for my big guns.

Personally, I think anyone staring to fill out their "stick" collection today are living in the best of times...the selections and price points of durable, lightweight, easy-to-use and transport, and elegant tripods and heads is astounding, and a far cry from what was available "back in the day" of the 70s and 80s. Ha! We probably looked like pack mules huffin' it through the Maine woods with all that gear!

So, shop by weight, or shop by collapsed length, heck, you can even shop by color...just find something you like (it's going to be your friend for a long time!) and go for it!

Hope that helps!
Jimmy G

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · What is your best hiking tripod?

The Feisol Traveler Tripod CT-3441S Rapid or Traveler Tripod CT-3441T Rapid are two nice tripods from Feisol

Sep 14, 2013 at 06:17 AM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #12 · What is your best hiking tripod?

Hello everyone, I'm new here so I hope you don't mind my .02. As I'm getting older I find I need to use tripods and monopods more and more. I also want to agree with Jimmy G. There are so many choices today in support equipment it is almost hard to chose from the many brands out there. RRS, Gitzo...well they make what many consider the best of the best but a lot of folks can't afford them. I have six or seven different tripods I use. My Manfrotto 058B well this guy stays in the studio since it weighs almost 20LBS with the ball head.

For walk around or drive around I use the Manfrotto 055CX Pro4 with a Kirk ball head. Recently I found a line of tripods and monopods called Sirui. (Pronounced SUE-RAY). They are made very much like the Gitzo or RRS tripods but are much cheaper. Now when I say cheaper some are in the $5-600 range but compared to the other top known brands are still half price for the same quality.

If I'm toting this for a long day I will use either the 1204N or the N3404. I also use the Sirui P326 monopod but know that most of the Sirui tripods also convert to a monopod like some of the other more economical units out there. Not well known in the US but they have great customer service and for the most part everything I've purchased from them, including several of their ball heads have been as good as any other brand on the market.

Forgot to mention that the Sirui ball heads are all Arca Style and I use Kirk L-Plate with them.

Sep 20, 2013 at 02:25 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #13 · What is your best hiking tripod?

I like my Feisol CT-3441T. I almost went for the CT-3442, but I decided that I wanted the slightly lower circumference and the versatility of the center pole (even though I very rarely use it). I'm not sure whether that was the right decision.

I tried a Gitzo GT-1541T as well, but it was just way too short.

The build quality on the CT-3441T seems almost up to Gitzo standards. The one big difference is in how the legs turn to unlock. They both have an anti-rotation feature, but on a Gitzo, it's easier to unlock/lock all three extensions at the same time with a quick half turn. On the Feisol, a half turn will unlock the top two locks, but the bottom lock will still be partially engaged. In other words, each lock seems to need the same amount of linear rotation to unlock, but because the diameter of the bottom leg lock is smaller, it takes a greater amount of angular rotation -- whereas the Gitzo's leg locks each need the same angular rotation. It's not a big deal, but it shows that the Feisol is not quite as smooth in operation as a Gitzo.

Sep 30, 2013 at 08:56 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · What is your best hiking tripod?

/tag

Looking for a new setup. Currently have a manfrotto 190xprob and a markins Q3t.

The tripod is corroded to hell from a lot of seascapes, and I will keep it.

Was looking at a feisol, not sure exactly which CT-3442 or the new shorter light one but I think that may be too far at 700-800g?

As for the head, I can either buy a cheaper one for the mf or leave the markins on the mf and get a new one... Budget is about 700-800 us total.

Oct 02, 2013 at 05:54 AM
Heie

p.1 #15 · What is your best hiking tripod?

The Sirui T-025x, hooked to your belt loop

http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/sirui-t-025x-travel-tripod-review/introduction.html

-Heie

Oct 02, 2013 at 11:54 AM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #16 · What is your best hiking tripod?

Heie, what is the maximum height of the T-025x? I already use several Sirui leg sets so I know they can go all the way down to the ground.

Oct 02, 2013 at 01:13 PM
44lefty
• • • •
p.1 #17 · What is your best hiking tripod?

For years, I only used one tripod; a Tilt All. Lately, it has been putting on a lot of weight and it refuses to go on a diet. I'm looking for a lighter weight tripod, but my budget is limited. The biggest lens will be my 50-500 Sigma.

Larry

Oct 04, 2013 at 05:37 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · What is your best hiking tripod?

Looked at the T-025x and tbh not liking its reputation for lack of stiffness.

Still thinking a feisol ct-3442 or something.

Oct 04, 2013 at 06:33 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.1 #19 · What is your best hiking tripod?

RobDickinson wrote:
Looked at the T-025x and tbh not liking its reputation for lack of stiffness.

Still thinking a feisol ct-3442 or something.

Take a look at this link for the N-1204. I use it all the time. It has a 39LB load rating and I've used it with the Nikon 70-200 f;2.8G VRII and the Sigma 50-500 f:4.5/5.6 APO DG OS HSM with a Tomahawk gimbal by ProMedia Gear. Works great.

http://www.argraph.com/Sirui-N-Tripod-Series.html

Oct 04, 2013 at 07:19 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · What is your best hiking tripod?

What is your best hiking tripod?

Gitzo GT-0540 CF

Oct 05, 2013 at 12:29 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password