Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

We have to thank Sony for their new tech, without them this thread is already 15 pages long by now and full of non-bander weird comments

Sep 12, 2013 at 01:55 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

dhphoto wrote:
So do the others.

It's only when you expect miracles from the files you have a problem with any of them

The 5D2 bands more readily than the other two if you push shadows but then it's the older model.

true, it is the older model, but then again it was the newer model when it came out and it banded a lot more than the prior generation of the 1Ds3 and 40D

Sep 12, 2013 at 03:29 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

The D800's sensor looks great - pity it's such a goober of a camera.

Sep 12, 2013 at 03:52 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

snapsy wrote:
Canon 6D
Canon 5DM3

The 6d is definitely a noticeable improvement on the 5d3. Good to see they've improved it.

Sep 12, 2013 at 08:06 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

skibum5 wrote:
true, it is the older model, but then again it was the newer model when it came out and it banded a lot more than the prior generation of the 1Ds3 and 40D

+1, sensor is man made not from heaven, not expecting the miracles but improvement from one to another. Year after year with the ugly shadows, colors falling apart in wider DR is still not enough ...

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

I've had to try really hard to get banding from my 6D- but I've certainly done it. Had I been using my 60D in the same situation though, well, I probably wouldn't have even tried. Those shots would barely be useful for postage stamps after the NR processing was done.

Sep 12, 2013 at 03:26 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

5D3: Camera looking for a sensor
D800: Sensor looking for a camera...

hummm, can someone make a CaNikon 5D800E

Sep 12, 2013 at 06:45 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

Sneakyracer wrote:

hummm, can someone make a CaNikon 5D800E

Canon super-tele's- lenses looking for a decent camera/sensor combination, forever alone .

Sep 12, 2013 at 07:15 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

Sneakyracer wrote:

Yup. My point exactly. But again it's all the type of photography one does. For me the 5D3 wins in terms of shooting power, the D800 obviously in terms of res. Those samples above do make me worry about Canon - worry, but also think Canon must either strike a deal with Sony, or revolutionise their sensors.

Sep 12, 2013 at 07:23 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

I have gotten so used to the clean 6D files....just now I was just working on a file taken at night in Chicago, it looked so noisy, I thought I must have used the 7D to take it. Nope, looked at the exif and it was the 5DII.

Sep 12, 2013 at 08:34 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

johnctharp wrote:
I've had to try really hard to get banding from my 6D- but I've certainly done it.

Just curious, what did you do to make the 6D show banding?

Sep 13, 2013 at 02:20 AM
danb121
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

johnctharp wrote:
I've had to try really hard to get banding from my 6D- but I've certainly done it. Had I been using my 60D in the same situation though, well, I probably wouldn't have even tried. Those shots would barely be useful for postage stamps after the NR processing was done.

You must have pushed it damn hard then... I did a 5min long exposure in the fading light (right at the end of dusk) and it was heavily under exposed. I thought that all was lost and that when it came to PP the image would be as noisey as hell; well I couldn't have been anymore wrong, sure I've applied some NR but even after printing this up at 30x20 it looks clean! I can't speak for the 1DX or the 5D3 but I'd say that the 6D is one of the cleanest cameras in the canon range.

Weston

Canon 17-40 f/5.6 ISO 400 300 Sec with a B&W110

Sep 13, 2013 at 02:47 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

Dark theater, hand-held, motion-stopping shutter speeds? Yup, I pushed it real hard. Plenty of banding when pushing the shadows and overall exposure. Does it matter? Hell no! Whatever residual noise is left mostly looks natural, unlike the 'mechanical' noise in my 60D RAWs.

Sep 13, 2013 at 02:52 AM
danb121
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

wow, and I thought that I pushed the shot above hard... from memory it was around 2.5 stops and +160 on the shadows (ran it through LR twice). Not sure that I'll need to push my raw files any harder than that

Sep 13, 2013 at 02:56 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

danb121 wrote:
You must have pushed it damn hard then... I did a 5min long exposure in the fading light (right at the end of dusk) and it was heavily under exposed. I thought that all was lost and that when it came to PP the image would be as noisey as hell; well I couldn't have been anymore wrong, sure I've applied some NR but even after printing this up at 30x20 it looks clean! I can't speak for the 1DX or the 5D3 but I'd say that the 6D is one of the cleanest cameras in the canon range.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8080/8442544216_f2149b8b83_b.jpg
Weston

Canon 17-40
...Show more

That is lovely.

It's all a question of degree.

I have been using a 1Ds3, a 5D2 and more recently a 5D3 and 6D in all sorts of situations and I've never had an issue with banding. Not once.

I'm not saying I'm great, I'm saying I wouldn't expect to be able to push shadows buy endless stops and not see any image degredation, it's obvious you would. Push any type of media too far and it'll break down eventually.

I am saying that if you have good control over exposure and use fill-flash, relectors, the occasional dual-processed RAW file with a bit of combining it's really not an issue, at least not for me.

I remember back a couple of years when the Reuters photo award winners were almost all taken with 5D2's. Fantastic photographs by any standard. At the same time there were users here saying the 5D2 was 'unusable'.

Sep 13, 2013 at 03:12 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

johnctharp wrote:
Dark theater, hand-held, motion-stopping shutter speeds? Yup, I pushed it real hard. Plenty of banding when pushing the shadows and overall exposure. Does it matter? Hell no! Whatever residual noise is left mostly looks natural, unlike the 'mechanical' noise in my 60D RAWs.

Not criticizing you by any means, just curious to find out under what circumstances you made the 6D show banding. I assume you were using very high ISO values (beyond ISO 3200)?

Sep 13, 2013 at 03:34 AM
danb121
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

dhphoto wrote:
That is lovely.

It's all a question of degree.

I have been using a 1Ds3, a 5D2 and more recently a 5D3 and 6D in all sorts of situations and I've never had an issue with banding. Not once.

I'm not saying I'm great, I'm saying I wouldn't expect to be able to push shadows buy endless stops and not see any image degredation, it's obvious you would. Push any type of media too far and it'll break down eventually.

I am saying that if you have good control over exposure and use fill-flash, relectors, the occasional dual-processed RAW file with a bit of
...Show more

Cheers... Yep I agree and the 5D2 is still a great camera and it's still widely used. Usually I'd take more care over how I exposure a photo, get to a location in advance and prepare for the moment but I was shooting somewhere else on that evening, I sort of stumbled across this shot and it was already well past sunset. I guess that I'm lucky enough that the 6D is as clean as it is!

Sep 13, 2013 at 03:40 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

okay I am reviving this thread..

I am still using 5d2, now we have 6D2, 5D4, 5d3 & 6D

which one of these cameras almost got no problem in Banding?

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:29 AM
woos
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

It has no banding at all (at least on mine). None. Zero. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you can push the shadows like you can on a D800. Not even close. But it does mean you can push it a lot more than a 5d2 and a bit more than a 5d3 *if you aren't viewing it at 100%*. At 100% the random noise still looks bad. lol. But....some say the 1dx is similar and also has no banding. I don't know as I haven't used one. At high iso the 6d is only slightly better than the 5d3. At like, iso 800 or something I couldn't tell the difference and I think anyone who says they could is probably full of crap lol.

I wouldn't say it's a better sensor than the 5d3 though. Why? Because the 5d3's sensor has to be read out faster for the higher fps. I'm not sure, but it probably has more channels or something, which may account for the banding.

Edit: and to comment on Danb's post. That's something the 6d excels at. Still. After all these years. Long exposures. My 6d long exposure images look better than my D800s did in many ways. You still can push long exposure D800 images more though (this applies only to iso 100/200 after that the difference is moot). And I am sure turning long exposure noise reduction on may mitigate the differences. But the higher ISO long exposures on a 6d are remarkably good. The D800 got some glow on them (my copy did). I was always able to mostly remove it though...and it didn't happen on iso 100 shots. But long 6400 shots or something oh man. My understanding is this doesn't happen on the D810 but i didn't have one so I can't comment. The 5d3 long exposures are decent but not close to the 6d. So, if you want long exposure quality, the 6d is still great even in 2017.

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:45 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

woos wrote:
It has no banding at all (at least on mine). None. Zero. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you can push the shadows like you can on a D800. Not even close. But it does mean you can push it a lot more than a 5d2 and a bit more than a 5d3 *if you aren't viewing it at 100%*. At 100% the random noise still looks bad. lol. But....some say the 1dx is similar and also has no banding. I don't know as I haven't used one. At high iso the 6d is only slightly better than the 5d3. At like,
...Show more

tnx, man.

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:01 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.