Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

6D sensor free from shadow banding?

Daan B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

I read the 6D sensor is cleaner than the 5D3 and 5D2. I also read the 6D sensor is free from shadow banding (when pushing the shadows). Is this true for RAW?

I know the 5D2 has vertical and horizontal banding in the shadows (when pushed). The 5D3 only has vertical banding.

So, what's up with the 6D?

Sep 11, 2013 at 09:45 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

popcorn and beer thread ?

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

Not meant to be like that, just looking for some feedback on what I read...

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

Hmm, haven't heard that claim about the 6D. Yes it's a bit cleaner than 5D III at high ISO and may have a tad more low ISO DR, but is still about 3 stops behind the Nikon D800.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

The 6D RAW files I have seen (in comparison to the 5D2 and 5D3) show less noise, albeit at the expense of slightly less detail. The 6D also didn't show shadow banding (when pushed) while the 5D2 and 5D3 did. The 5D2 being worst.

It almost looks like Canon has applied some NR on the 6D RAW files. I noticed a similar 'trick' when looking at Nikon D90 NEF files a few years back. I don't know how this relates to the D800 though...

Sep 11, 2013 at 01:33 PM
danb121
• •
p.1 #6 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

I have a 6D and have really pushed the files in RAW and while they do get noisy if pushed too far I haven't seen any shadow banding... yet anyway

I haven't owned any other FF camera but I'm extremely happy with the results that I'm getting from the 6D... along with LEE filters it's one of the best purchases that I've made!!

Sep 11, 2013 at 01:58 PM
markshelby
• • •
p.1 #7 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

My own experience with the 6D has been that it has very good shadow detail, much better than the 5D2.

You can see the difference in shadow detail at dpreview's RAW test photos of the 6D as compared to the 5d3 and the D800. (For convenience I've attached a couple screen caps of dark blue feathers from dpreview, where you can see both lower noise AND more detail (pls excuse the added blurriness, I'm working with MS Paint at the moment)):

http://markshelbyperry.smugmug.com/Temporary/n-8SHBH

http://markshelbyperry.smugmug.com/Temporary/n-8SHBH#!/i-WM9WKpM

ISO 1600

ISO 400

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:27 PM
markshelby
• • •
p.1 #8 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

And low ISO. (Sorry, it's been a while since I attached photos.)

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:32 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

Daan B, you know lab data won't show much. i have not seen one canon sample without shadows lifted banding in real wide DR scenes where image colors starting to their false as well. Best to verify these signatures with candle light shots. To work around DR and shadows noise issues, 5Dx/6D plug-in ML (dual iso process) might help to archieve better shadows in those cases.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:17 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

The 6D has very little banding at low ISO. The only banding you can see is the low frequency variety when viewed at downsampled resolution. It has absolutely zero banding at High ISO, even less than the D3s.

Here is the banding performance of 6 cameras - 6D, 5DM3, D800, D600, D5100, and D7100. All images were shot -5EV and pushed +5EV (raw, developed in LR)

Canon 6D
Canon 5DM3
Nikon D800
Nikon D600
Nikon D5100
Nikon D7100

Sep 11, 2013 at 04:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #11 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

snapsy wrote:
The 6D has very little banding at low ISO. The only banding you can see is the low frequency variety when viewed at downsampled resolution. It has absolutely zero banding at High ISO, even less than the D3s.

Here is the banding performance of 6 cameras - 6D, 5DM3, D800, D600, D5100, and D7100. All images were shot -5EV and pushed +5EV (raw, developed in LR)

You have more shoes than my wife, Adam

Sep 11, 2013 at 04:10 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

snapsy wrote:

Canon 6D
Canon 5DM3
Nikon D800
Nikon D600
Nikon D5100
Nikon D7100

While extreme (I never had to push a file +5), it clearly shows the Nikon sensors are superior. Especially colors. The 6D is better than the 5D3 (which shows vertical banding under these circumstances). Thanks for posting this

Sep 11, 2013 at 05:00 PM
MintMar
• •
p.1 #13 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

snapsy wrote:

Canon 6D
Canon 5DM3
Nikon D800
Nikon D600
Nikon D5100
Nikon D7100

Strange. I can open Canon jpgs, but Nikons give me errors in Firefox.

Edit: Nikons except 5100.

Sep 11, 2013 at 05:53 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

mitesh wrote:
You have more shoes than my wife, Adam

Haha, I bought those during a local going-out-of-business sale and never wore them. I'm more of a sneaker for all occasions kind of guy

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:25 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

MintMar wrote:
Strange. I can open Canon jpgs, but Nikons give me errors in Firefox.

Edit: Nikons except 5100.

hmm, they all open for me, in both Firefox 12 and IE 10.

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:26 PM
dfresh
• • • •
p.1 #16 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

Thanks for sharing snapsy! I'm surprised how much better the 6D looks than the 5D3. The Nikons, well, they look ok I suppose

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Charlie N

p.1 #17 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

snapsy wrote:

Canon 6D
Canon 5DM3
Nikon D800
Nikon D600
Nikon D5100
Nikon D7100

great post. Wouldnt need 5 stops, but clearly shows superiority in dynamic range. 6D bands very little if any based on normal usage.

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:30 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

Daan B wrote:
I read the 6D sensor is cleaner than the 5D3 and 5D2. I also read the 6D sensor is free from shadow banding (when pushing the shadows). Is this true for RAW?

I know the 5D2 has vertical and horizontal banding in the shadows (when pushed). The 5D3 only has vertical banding.

So, what's up with the 6D?

It's been a long while since I looked at it, but I seem to recall that it definitely has less banding than the 5D2 and 5D3 (not hard to do actually ) but just a trace more than the 1Ds3, although very close. I'd have to go check carefully, not sure where my sample black frame even is now. Basically the 1Ds3 and then just a trace below it the 6D and then 1DX are Canon's best for ISO100 DR in realistic usage. None are close to Exmor and none are even a match even for the non-Exmor Nikon sensor in the D4 though. But at least with those ones, especially the 1Ds3 and probably 6D, it's pretty good for a Canon and not bad for non-Exmor, non-D4.

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

Charlie N wrote:
6D bands very little if any based on normal usage.

So do the others.

It's only when you expect miracles from the files you have a problem with any of them

The 5D2 bands more readily than the other two if you push shadows but then it's the older model.

Sep 12, 2013 at 06:18 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · 6D sensor free from shadow banding?

I still consider a push of shadows (+ 40 in LR4) and some exposure compensation (max +1) normal usage. In some cases, where the DR of the file has been exceeded, there is vertical and horizontal banding visible with 5D2 files when I do just that. This has nothing to do with correct exposure and so on, but it has everything to do with the head-room I need/want in PP. It is good to know the 6D behaves better for this than the 5D2 and even 5D3. Switching to Nikon isn't an option for me right now...

Sep 12, 2013 at 06:42 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password