FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · printer for photobooths

andrea.c

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · printer for photobooths

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good portable printer for a photo booth or on location shoot?

Sep 11, 2013 at 01:41 AM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · printer for photobooths

DNP RX-1, not a cheap one to buy, but image quality is acceptable and a print cost is low. And it's a fast beast. Just got one for my photobooth.

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:39 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · printer for photobooths

I have no actual experience with them but I've always wondered how a "compact photo printer" would do:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=C11CA56203

Prints up to 4 x 6 size.

Maybe no computer needed as prints direct from card? Ink cost would be high?

I suppose, like most things in life, you generally get what you pay for.

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:55 AM
abadass
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · printer for photobooths

I've used the Sony UPCX1 and DNP DS40. I prefer the DS40 cuz its fast! just about 10 seconds.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:13 AM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · printer for photobooths

Yes- you get what you pay for. I also got a Canon Selphy as a back-up for the rx, it's cheap to buy, but print cost is 4 or 5 times higher than rx, and it's about 4-5 times slower. Don't know about Epson, but I think price, cost and speed will be at a Selphy level.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:32 AM
andrea.c

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · printer for photobooths

Thank you so much for your suggestions

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:19 AM
andrea.c

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · printer for photobooths

Thank you so much for your suggestions

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:19 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · printer for photobooths

I would get in touch with the people from http://www.imagingspectrum.com/

They are extremely helpful

Sep 11, 2013 at 09:53 AM
Evan JF Roth
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · printer for photobooths

I was actually just about to buy a dye sub printer for a wedding photobooth but I did some tests and my Canon 9000 Mark II is able to print almost as fast as the $800 dye-subs. I can have another 4x6 every 30 seconds, which should be plenty of time and should be fast enough that I can swap out ink cartridges.
I bought a 16 and a 32pack of replacement ink off amazon and a 400 pack of 4x6's and I think I'm set to go

Sep 11, 2013 at 01:07 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · printer for photobooths

WNStudio wrote:
I also got a Canon Selphy as a back-up

That's another one I was wondering about.

So why is the print cost so high with that one? The ink? The RX ink is cheaper?

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:46 PM
shaunmlavery
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · printer for photobooths

I have a hiti 1510? It is speedy and delivers nice results. The media loads easily and the cost to run it is attractive.

The biggest issues with these setups are: price, time, support, profit and software.

Touching on software, I finally broke down and bought dslr remote or whatever the heck it is called! It feels like it is from the 1991! It is clunky but it works for the photo booth application.

Sep 11, 2013 at 07:07 PM
Pandemic
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · printer for photobooths

I've been using the DNP DS40 for over two years.

http://www.fotoclubinc.com/dnp-ds40-dye-sub-photo-printer.aspx

The print speed is also determined by A) the speed of the camera and B) the speed of the computer the printer is hooked in to.

I use both Canon and Nikon for the booths, and both behave differently.

A print speed of 30 seconds for a 4x6 is FAR too slow.

Sep 13, 2013 at 09:52 AM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · printer for photobooths

I think selphy is more home use orientated, RX-1 is aiming to take place of minilab in places where minilab is getting to expensive to run (due to minimal processing per day), we were using it in our studio while minilab failure and it did a great job at a reasonable price. In Poland 4x6 cost is about 0,2 $, and it's FAST.

Sep 18, 2013 at 03:01 PM
Evan JF Roth
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · printer for photobooths

Quality, not quantity....
I just did a photo booth and the print time of the 9000 Mark II was not a problem to any degree, there was only one point where I had three prints on the queue. Each couple took about a minute in the booth so there was more than enough time for most everyone.

Sep 22, 2013 at 03:01 AM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · printer for photobooths

We use the hiti p510s. It's reliable, very easy to use, you can load media in under minute, and it prints 4x6's in 6-8 secs. Its not cheap but it will pay for itself after 2-3 photo booths. Amazing printer!!

Sep 25, 2013 at 03:33 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · printer for photobooths

I second contacting these people: http://www.imagingspectrum.com I got my Sony Snap lab from them. It will print 5x7 dye sub prints in 17sec and it is not the latest and greatest thing out there any more.

Sep 25, 2013 at 04:50 PM
nguyencs
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · printer for photobooths

I use the DNP RX1 as well and would recommend it. I also bought it from imagingspectrum.com and would recommend them. However, I would get the print media and the carrying case from fotoclubinc.com. Print media is $10 cheaper and the carrying case is rock solid.

I also have the Selphy 900. Nice for backup or a small print job, e.g. giving a print to the parents. But I wouldn't use it as a main photo booth printer. It is more expensive per media and slow.

Sep 27, 2013 at 09:36 PM
dphotohobbyist

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · printer for photobooths

I also use the DNP RX-1 and have had good luck with it. It's very easy to load and I get my refills from imaging spectrum. Like others have mentioned it is on the expensive side, and a few people complain about it taking too long to print (generally 30-45 seconds after).

I operate in the Milwaukee Photo Booth market.

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:26 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · printer for photobooths

Welcome to the forums, mate...but you might want to remove your blatant SEO link. That does not go over well here.

Dec 04, 2013 at 10:46 PM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · printer for photobooths

I've used the Pro 9000 mk II, a couple of epson inkjets and a couple of different dye subs. If you're going to do these regularly, dye subs are the way to go. Cost per print is lower than inkjets, you know how many prints you can do before changing the media, and it's very easy to change when the time comes.

I had a DNP DS40 and a DNP Snaplab and ended up keeping the snaplab because it has card readers and can be a built-in back up if the computer or software craps out.

Dec 06, 2013 at 06:53 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.