Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Jasper (EDITED)

dgdg
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Jasper (EDITED)

Revised the first photo with a foreground that has more detail. Comments?

Had a fun family vacation and was able to fit in some photography too.

Athabasca Glacier

Patricia Lake before sunrise

Maligne Lake after dinner

Edited on Sep 29, 2013 at 12:07 AM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:56 AM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #2 · Jasper (EDITED)

Your first shot is simply amazing, you were fortunate to have clear skies at that location. Nice set of images.

Sep 11, 2013 at 04:04 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Jasper (EDITED)

Very nice here, especially #1. You really nailed the stars in that shot.

Jim

Sep 11, 2013 at 05:48 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #4 · Jasper (EDITED)

Like the idea, but the sky and the foreground don't seem well integrated... or at least that's how my brain perceives it.

(is a great shot of the milky way, though)

Sep 11, 2013 at 05:51 AM
dgdg
• • •
p.1 #5 · Jasper (EDITED)

thanks tjny, jim.
thanks derek - Looking at my 24 second unedited single shot, it looks quite similar - it was a surreal setting. kinda like you are jumping off a cliff.

Edited on Sep 11, 2013 at 06:45 PM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Pilgrimatic
• • •
p.1 #6 · Jasper (EDITED)

I was in Jasper the third week of August. It is truly an astounding place and perhaps the wildest occupied place I've ever been to.

You have captured the essence of these places beautifully. The glacier and the lakes are exactly as I would like to remember them. Well done.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #7 · Jasper (EDITED)

The sky in #1 is perfect! Do you mind sharing your settings for it? It almost looks like a low ISO astrotrack shot its so sharp and clean. Im not sure about the land though, unfortunately it looks out of focus and lacking detail.

Sep 11, 2013 at 01:07 PM
dgdg
• • •
p.1 #8 · Jasper (EDITED)

Thanks Justin.

For the sky it is about 60 minutes of total exposure time at ISO 800 with the astrotrac and vixen polarie scope (with custom adapter sleeve), 60 minutes of darks, processed without edits in deep sky stacker, and finally processed in photoshop. The 24-70 2.8 II has very little coma and sharp wide across. I had a dew heater attached to a jump start battery as dew is my enemy.

The mountain was processed separately as best to look the way I saw it and to compliment the scene. The mountain was moved over onto the scene above where the landscape was blurred from the tracker. It was such a surreal environment with the mountain looming up close, then with the processed milky way popping up above it is something - nothing we can detect with our eyes.

As far as the foreground, it was a tough call. The sky was moonless with a bit of light from the hotel across the street that may have provided the light I saw on the mountain but I doubt it. Basically there was no light pollution there and no moon. Hence, I couldn't live view focus on the mountain and so I kept focus the same as the sky. Maybe I should have stepped focus as an experiment for later. The biggest thing I think is that even with the mountain at 800 iso, the sky IQ demonstrates how much stacking with darks really helps the noise for a clean image and pop. There just wasn't much light on the mountain with only the snow showing up well. Ideally I would have taken a nap in the car and stayed there until 4-6 am for a twilight image of the mountain to improve focus and noise, but I had to leave at 2am to drive back to the crossing and awaken at 7am for the family. If I were listless at 7am - trouble..... Then again one would wonder how the milky way showed up so well with a well exposed mountain scene. Maybe Jim would comment more.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:54 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Jasper (EDITED)

Great set, David! Thanks for the tutorial on #1 as well..

Sep 11, 2013 at 04:14 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #10 · Jasper (EDITED)

Haha not a bad guess eh?! Really great bud, thanks for the info. Definitely makes me want to pick up a iOptron just for wide angle stuff. I'll be pm'ing you if I ever get into the star stacking dark frame goodness

Sep 11, 2013 at 04:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Jasper (EDITED)

That 1st one is a beauty. The 2nd one reminds me of the weather i've had whenver i've been there.

Sep 11, 2013 at 06:05 PM
dgdg
• • •
p.1 #12 · Jasper (EDITED)

Justin Grimm wrote:
Haha not a bad guess eh?! Really great bud, thanks for the info. Definitely makes me want to pick up a iOptron just for wide angle stuff. I'll be pm'ing you if I ever get into the star stacking dark frame goodness

Just make sure with the iopton you will have cell service. I believe (not sure on this) that you will need the app to align Polaris correctly since you need time/date and coordinates for it to work. The Vixen Polarie scope only requires that you know the date and time.

Sep 11, 2013 at 06:46 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Jasper (EDITED)

Your first image is off-the-charts excellent.
I could get out my thesaurus, but even the really BIG words wouldn't do justice to your image.
Charlie

Sep 12, 2013 at 02:36 AM
dgdg
• • •
p.1 #14 · Jasper (EDITED)

Thanks Charlie for all your comments.

Sep 12, 2013 at 02:39 AM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #15 · Jasper (EDITED)

beautiful set. Having been to Patricia lake myself, i can say you captured the mood at the lake very well.

Sep 12, 2013 at 04:14 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Jasper (EDITED)

great glaciers !

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:32 PM
dgdg
• • •
p.1 #17 · Jasper (EDITED)

So I'm interested in your thoughts comparing this image to the original. I have looked at both too much, they look like anything I want to believe.

Sep 28, 2013 at 03:44 AM
Bill Hollinger
• •
p.1 #18 · Jasper (EDITED)

Wow, that first image is incredible. It looks like you took it from another planet.

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Jasper (EDITED)

In order of preference 1,3,2.

But 1 is spectacular for me. I would print and hang that one. Great job. I will have to try for this image.

Thanks for sharing. Scott

Sep 29, 2013 at 08:18 PM
CynthiaBigrigg

p.1 #20 · Jasper (EDITED)

That shot of Patricia Lake KILLS ME! I lived in Jasper for 2 years, and Patricia Lake and Pyramid Lake are probably my favourite places in the world. So beautiful. Thank-you for sharing.

Also, amazing shot of the night sky off the Athabasca Glacier!

Sep 30, 2013 at 02:22 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password