Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Deep Octa suitable?

andrew00

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Deep Octa suitable?

Hey,

I'm looking for opinions on the 100cm Deep Octa please.

I've been using a Photek Softlighter for a bit, which is awesome and soft, obvz, but doesn't really crisp up if I want that.

I've been looking at the DO 100cm as an alternative. So I'm curious if peeps think it can

a) go sufficiently soft to mimic the environmental feel similar to the Softlighter and
b) if it can then crisp up enough if required to give a punchier image, doesn't have to be as punchy as a beauty dish, but something still in that more direct glamourous image arena.

I also just watched this new video of Annie Leib http://youtu.be/A0-UeVO6f5w and she looks to my eye to be using the 100cm DO too. I know she uses the Photek a lot so it's interesting to see her using the DO, one wonders why in this example she was.

Sep 11, 2013 at 01:10 AM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Deep Octa suitable?

? softlighter is crisp if you leave the diffuser off...not ultacrisp, but is nicely contrasty.

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:17 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Deep Octa suitable?

Paul Buff PLM is a very good option for you and within your budget.

Sep 12, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Deep Octa suitable?

Yes that is a Deep Octa. It's a fantastic modifier. While a large umbrella might be an alternative to any modifier I wouldn't consider it a true alternative to the Deep Octa. It's truly a unique softbox hence it's popularity and why many pros love it, even those who use Profoto like her. Used with the Elinchrom deflectors if you have Elinchrom strobes, it is extremely versatile. It's also great with just the inner diffuser only. Nice a "crispy". You don't mention what your budget is but if you wanted to get fairly close it might be a beauty dish with a sock on it.

Sep 13, 2013 at 01:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ethompson53

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Deep Octa suitable?

The Elinchrom delfectors also work with Profoto heads as the umbrella hole is next to the flashtube.

Sep 13, 2013 at 08:17 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Deep Octa suitable?

Yup, the Deep Octa works fine on Profotos, with the exception of the D1s. The umbrella shaft location is different on them.

Sep 14, 2013 at 01:06 AM
andrew00

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Deep Octa suitable?

Thanks for the replies, sounds like a winner!

Sep 17, 2013 at 03:58 PM
Littleguy
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Deep Octa suitable?

Wow - Annie really puts that Profoto 8a to work!

Sep 30, 2013 at 04:39 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password