Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Samyang 14mm f/2.8 issue (focus ring "stick")

Invertalon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Samyang 14mm f/2.8 issue (focus ring "stick")

A little history:

I had a "Bell + Howell" version of this lens for a year or so before selling it to do some other upgrades in my kit... Eventually bought the Rokinon version from Amazon a year later or so (decentered), so I exchanged for another, which was also decentered. Decided to return and give up for a while.

When B&H ran that $299 deal again on the Bower model, I snagged it up again. This time, the optics are flawless and by far the sharpest out of the (3) I have used, especially wide open. No decentering at all and extremely happy with it.

However, there is a "quirk" in the focus ring I am concerned about. I know these lenses are not built well, but if this issue is non-concerning I will just hold on to it... Otherwise, I may return it (for good). Now here is the issue:

If the lens sits for some time (few minutes or whatever) and you turn the focus ring, you will feel a little resistance and it sort of "lets go" and spins just fine. You can stop, spin back and forth, etc... Spins perfectly with even resistance and no issues. Let the lens "rest" again, and you may feel that very faint pop feeling as you initially turn it. Very strange sensation that is hard to explain... But imagine almost like a lubricant inside thickens and once it moves fast enough it breaks loose and all is well. You can stop, move back and forth fast or slow, etc... Feels flawless. Only when the lens 'rests' for a small period of time and you initially move it fast.

I can't think what would be causing this sensation though in the focus ring. It does not happen all the time, but it is often if the lens sits. If I am using it, it operates perfectly.

I am just reluctant to return/exchange the lens because of how amazing this copy is... I mean, it is stunning wide open... Perfect centering, etc... I am just curious what would be causing this "stick" only to happen after the lens sits, and happens regardless of how it is pointed and whatever else. Just strange.

Any ideas?

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:42 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Samyang 14mm f/2.8 issue (focus ring "stick")

You bought it to make images. If you got a good one, keep it. Deal with the weirdness. If it was the Canon version for 2k, I'd return it...but this is a fraction of the price.

Sep 12, 2013 at 03:35 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Samyang 14mm f/2.8 issue (focus ring "stick")

I would keep it. I went through 4 copies before I found one that was well-centered. Better the devil you know Your theory about the lubrication sounds plausible to me - probably temperature related.

Sep 12, 2013 at 03:50 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password