Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Expanding my lighting options, need help with next steps

jim bennett
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Expanding my lighting options, need help with next steps

Hi all,

I currently have very little lighting equipment- just a basic umbrella with a shoe mounted sunpak 383 flash head. I would like to broaden my options for portrait lighting and was thinking about getting a softbox next.

What I am a little unsure of is if I should continue to use my shoe mounted flash with umbrella as a fill, and then add a softbox with either continuous or strobe light for the main?

What would a next logical step be for someone like me on an extremely limited budget (under $200) I know if I decide to use strobes I will probably need remote triggers which I do not currently own. I trigger the shoe mounted flash with a pc flash sync cable from a Canon 10D currently, and I also have a Panasonic LX7.

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice to a lighting novice!

Jim

Edited on Sep 11, 2013 at 06:33 PM · View previous versions

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Expanding my lighting options, need help with next steps

I would avoid continuous lights if you're on a budget. Getting enough power from continuous lights requires either multi-light fluorescent arrays or high-intensity lamps, neither of which fits your $200-limit goal.

You may be able to find a used strobe in that range, and virtually all of them have a photocell that will trigger from the flash of your PC-triggered light.

There are also a number of manual-power compact flash units, like those from LumoPro, that can be triggered by another flash.

My best advice is to do plenty of research before spending any money, and to stick to reputable sellers and known brands of equipment when you do.

Edited on Sep 12, 2013 at 05:40 AM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2013 at 04:37 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #3 · Expanding my lighting options, need help with next steps

I think your next logical step is to get a good, serviceable soft box for your existing flash. I'd recommend a Westcott 28" Apollo, which has a recessed front diffuser and can be used with the flash either straight on, or indirectly (turned toward the back of the box). That will give you several different looks, and much more control than your umbrella. If your budget permits, I'd also suggest a lightstand and a boom that will enable you to move your flash unit (with umbrella or softbox) wherever you need it. A "C stand complete" would be my recommendation. Master that, then move to a second flash unit.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM
jim bennett
• • •
p.1 #4 · Expanding my lighting options, need help with next steps

Steve Wylie wrote:
I think your next logical step is to get a good, serviceable soft box for your existing flash. I'd recommend a Westcott 28" Apollo, which has a recessed front diffuser and can be used with the flash either straight on, or indirectly (turned toward the back of the box). That will give you several different looks, and much more control than your umbrella. If your budget permits, I'd also suggest a lightstand and a boom that will enable you to move your flash unit (with umbrella or softbox) wherever you need it. A "C stand complete" would be my
...Show more
Thanks Steve, I really appreciate the reply! I realized from cleaning out my closet that I purchased two light stands about 10 years ago that have barely been used. I'll look into the soft box you mentioned next. Since I have the light stands already, I will look into getting a boom adapter to add to my set up as well.

Jim

Sep 12, 2013 at 04:44 PM
jim bennett
• • •
p.1 #5 · Expanding my lighting options, need help with next steps

BrianO wrote:
I would avoid continuous lights if you're on a budget. Getting enough power from continuous lights requires either multi-light fluorescent arrays or high-intensity lamps, neither of which fits your $200-limit goal.

You may be able to find a used strobe in that range, and virtually all of them have a photocell that will trigger from the flash of your PC-triggered light.

There are also a number of manual-power compact flash units, like those from LumoPro, that can be triggered by another flash.

My best advice is to do plenty of research before spending any money, and to stick to reputable sellers and known
...Show more
Thanks for the reply Brian! I will look into the manual power compact flash units or a used strobe once funds permit!

Jim

Sep 12, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #6 · Expanding my lighting options, need help with next steps

With your budget I'd buy a 24" Lastolite Ezbox. Great modifier and easy to use and learn with. Next add a wireless option like Pocketwizard.

Sep 13, 2013 at 01:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jim bennett
• • •
p.1 #7 · Expanding my lighting options, need help with next steps

Gregg Heckler wrote:
With your budget I'd buy a 24" Lastolite Ezbox. Great modifier and easy to use and learn with. Next add a wireless option like Pocketwizard.

Thanks Gregg, that one has pretty stellar reviews, it's on the shopping list now .

Sep 14, 2013 at 05:56 AM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #8 · Expanding my lighting options, need help with next steps

Something I havent seen brought up yet is a simple 5 in 1 reflector. You can still use your umbrella on a light stand as your main, and just set up your reflector on a separate light stand for fill.

The 28" Apollo is a great softbox. I used it all the time and love it.

If you all ready have light stands, I wouldnt worry about a c stand. Later on they are great, but right now, get more lights and triggers and modifiers.

Sep 15, 2013 at 06:49 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Expanding my lighting options, need help with next steps

basehorhonda wrote:
If you all ready have light stands, I wouldnt worry about a c stand. Later on they are great, but right now, get more lights and triggers and modifiers.

I agree; with the limits of the budget, "upgrading" the light stands can better wait than can getting more light sources.

basehorhonda wrote:

Yeah, I love mine. The retro-firing design works wonders at spreading the beam of my Speedlites (I use one or sometimes two in the Apollo, depending a need), giving almost as even of coverage as a bare-bulb strobe could.

Sep 15, 2013 at 09:18 PM
jim bennett
• • •
p.1 #10 · Expanding my lighting options, need help with next steps

basehorhonda wrote:
Something I havent seen brought up yet is a simple 5 in 1 reflector. You can still use your umbrella on a light stand as your main, and just set up your reflector on a separate light stand for fill.

Thanks! I almost forgot I do have a circular 5 in 1 reflector.

Sep 16, 2013 at 06:33 PM
jim bennett
• • •
p.1 #11 · Expanding my lighting options, need help with next steps

BrianO wrote:
I agree; with the limits of the budget, "upgrading" the light stands can better wait than can getting more light sources.

Yeah, I love mine. The retro-firing design works wonders at spreading the beam of my Speedlites (I use one or sometimes two in the Apollo, depending a need), giving almost as even of coverage as a bare-bulb strobe could.

Hey Brian, is this the one you have, there are a few variation of the 28 Apollo at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/564656-REG/Westcott_2202_Apollo_Speedlight_Set.html

Sep 16, 2013 at 06:36 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Expanding my lighting options, need help with next steps

jim bennett wrote:
Hey Brian, is this the one you have, there are a few variation of the 28 Apollo at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/564656-REG/Westcott_2202_Apollo_Speedlight_Set.html

Mine is several years old, and I think there have been some minor changes over the years, but that's essentially what I have.

I think the latest version has a removable diffusion panel, whereas mine is sewn on along the top.

The older version didn't have as large a zipper opening, which restricted the amount of tilt possible (Even the new one is a bit limited.), so I added a short extension pole and a second swivel mount that lets me tilt from outside the Apollo.

I've also added a double-flash bracket that I sometimes use to get more power when using the Apollo outdoors.

(I'm almost done with remodeling my studio, and when I am I'll take new pictures of my main gear.)

Sep 16, 2013 at 06:55 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password