Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon 28-300mm IS

Hi, Larry.

Sep 13, 2013 at 06:29 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon 28-300mm IS

It was my walk around lens for the longest time. After I got my 1Dx and stuck my 24-105, those shots are so sharp it spoiled me. Haven't used my 28-300 for some time......nice travel lens....

Sep 13, 2013 at 08:06 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon 28-300mm IS

campy -- Please know that I'm not showing those examples as anything other than quick captures -- the whirlwind shooting took about an hour. The point is that I think it shows the sort of sharpness and lens performance you should be able to expect with minor PP corrections.

If you aren't getting this level of IQ, I suggest a trip to Canon to straighten out any problems.

If your standards are higher than mine, and these images are unsatisfactory and in line with what you are getting from your copy, then sell the lens and find something more to your liking.

I'd really like you to publish some of your images with your thoughts or concerns. Perhaps you have taken more and changed your mind somewhat, either pro or con.

Sep 14, 2013 at 07:28 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon 28-300mm IS

Had mine since it came out, always on 1Ds/1Ds2/1Ds3/1DX bodies. It balances well with them and the weight doesn't bother me. It's a great travel lens - it's been to 5 continents with me. The versatility of this lens is impressive, and as long as you shoot when the sun is out, it's all good as then you can stop it down to f8 or f11 and then the sharpness really isn't an issue. Wide open it's not much to write home about compared to the newest other offerings, but if you need to cover a large range because you don't know what will come at you, be it at a safari or walking through Venice, this lens rules. Make no mistake, as hyperzooms go, this one is fantastic.

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:54 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon 28-300mm IS

Great shots, Stan.

Sep 15, 2013 at 04:43 AM
campy
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon 28-300mm IS

Any idea how much a clean and adjustment would cost? I went to Canon's website and it says I need to send it in before they can give an estimate.

Sep 15, 2013 at 08:02 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon 28-300mm IS

campy -- Does this mean your copy doesn't seem to match what we are showing here as far as IQ?

Regular clean and adjust for CPS Gold and Platinum is free with voucher, or 5 per year (Gold) on Oct 1.

I was told last week by CPS that the normal C&C charge is just over $50. That's not a repair or adjustment, just the clean and check (maybe some minor adjustment, but that's a gift, if done).

I sent in two lenses with my two vouchers before the change in the program. My 50 macro is being taken care of as C&C to remove a fleck of what looks like dried lens adhesive inside the front element group, and the general look-over and clean. The second is not covered by C&C -- a re-alignment of elements on my 16-35L II (plus it will be cleaned -- saw a smudge on the front element). Still, the two lenses are being worked on for a total of $154 including the return shipping, so what's not to like?

Good luck, and let us know what's up.

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM
campy
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon 28-300mm IS

Gunzorro wrote:
campy -- Does this mean your copy doesn't seem to match what we are showing here as far as IQ?

Regular clean and adjust for CPS Gold and Platinum is free with voucher, or 5 per year (Gold) on Oct 1.

I was told last week by CPS that the normal C&C charge is just over $50. That's not a repair or adjustment, just the clean and check (maybe some minor adjustment, but that's a gift, if done).

I sent in two lenses with my two vouchers before the change in the program. My 50 macro is being taken care of as
...Show more

I have not had the same results as you but I only have been taking some shots around the yard and on a mostly cloudy day. I tried to do dot tune and it comes up as -8. I am not a member of CPS so I am sure the clean and check will be at least a couple of hundred dollars. I want to rule out poor technique before I send it in. Oddly enough I am an Authorized Service Center for Canon on their photo printers and their multifunction lasers but cannot get any discounts on this type of thing.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon 28-300mm IS

Definitely do more testing and dialing in the MFA.

I don't think any C&C cost more than $100. But it would be worth joining CPS Gold for the annual $100 just to get the free clean and checks, plus 20% discount on any repairs. There are a few other perks as well.

I recommend checking to see you qualify, then joining right away and registering your equipment to save if a repair is needed and to get the free C&Cs.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon 28-300mm IS

Some slightly different DPP processing from yesterday -- trying out my new computer (other had a C drive meltdown it seems). I chose to use CA correction and on all, and turned off all noise reduction (too much smoothing, even at the default 2 setting). A few other things to improve sharpness and/or contrast.

Sorry for the double posting in the same thread, but I wanted to see what the differences were when I compared them against each other with the FM upload. These latest ones definitely look a little crisper and punchier to me.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Sep 15, 2013 at 06:28 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon 28-300mm IS

I really don't think that there's anything wrong with your lens, but let me say something from my (unfortunately relevant) repair experience of this type of lens: in short, next to the 400 DO, it seems to be the most difficult lens to repair, or the repair centers are hopelessly clueless when it comes to this lens. This in contrast to other lenses, where I've had great experience. Two case studies:

In 2008, I dropped a 28-300 attached to a 1Ds3 (well, rather, it impacted the glove box of a car after being seated in the passenger seat and me hitting the brakes hard). After that, the image was decentered, with the left 2/3 great and the right 1/3 looking like through vaseline. It visited Irvine, where major repairs and calibrations were allegedly made to the tune of $200. Sadly, to my eyes, the lens came back the same. So back it went, and a few weeks later, it came back yet again the same. This prompted me to send it in to Jamesburg. It came back the same. I spoke to friendly people at Canon and asked either for the lens to be fixed properly or to get my money back (while I understand that I broke the thing, if they can't fix it they should not charge me either). So for a 4th time it went in, again to Jamesburg, as "official Canon business", and came back the same. At that point the friendly souls at Canon sent me a brand new 28-300, box and all. Come to think of it, I must have a spare tripod collar somewhere.

This 2nd lens worked flawlessly as one would expect, until last winter I dropped it with my 5D3 onto concrete. It broke at the lens mount, as one would expect. I sent it in to Jamesburg, where the total bill was $388, including a new IS unit, as well as the mount / seal gasket assembly. Lens works like new.

I prefer not to break this lens

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon 28-300mm IS

Sometimes I use the 28-300 as a big P&S, but other times it's instrumental when you really have no idea what's going to happen, one second you have to go wide and the next long, such as when a tank is about to drive by For those things, the lens really rules. Sharpness is good enough for 24x36" prints, especially with some love, and the versatility can't be beat on a FF body.

Undecided about lens selection?

RIP Dex.

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon 28-300mm IS

stanj wrote:
I really don't think that there's anything wrong with your lens, but let me say something from my (unfortunately relevant) repair experience of this type of lens: in short, next to the 400 DO, it seems to be the most difficult lens to repair, or the repair centers are hopelessly clueless when it comes to this lens. This in contrast to other lenses, where I've had great experience. Two case studies:

In 2008, I dropped a 28-300 attached to a 1Ds3 (well, rather, it impacted the glove box of a car after being seated in the passenger seat and me hitting
...Show more

Ha-ha! Stan, you crack me up!

Thanks for the repair background. My 16-35L II is down at Irvine right now for a weak lower right corner. Technically, this is its second repair/adjustment cycle -- the first was under warranty and needed three trips. Some lenses are more difficult (complex) than others!

Great shots, as usual!

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:17 AM
campy
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon 28-300mm IS

I took some pictures in good light using a tripod and they were very much improved so it might just be my technique.

Sep 16, 2013 at 03:35 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon 28-300mm IS

Terrific!

It would have been a real shame to have a defective/damaged lens. As Stan said, it's not something you want to fix if damaged.

I've gotten pretty good at holding it at slower shutter speeds. I attribute that to two things: 1) my training in marksmanship, and 2) the inertia of the big lens on an appropriate 1D-series body. Still, I don't push it, and prefer to boost ISO a touch, or open the aperture a little to get a faster shutter speed. That's how I confirmed how good the lens is all the way to wide open -- simple repetition of necessity.

I really think if more people were as open minded as you, and took time to examine their technique and PP, this lens would get much higher praise in user reviews. I don't want to say too much positive, as I won't seem credible, or might come across as a fanboy, instead of a grateful fan. Thanks for letting me abuse your thread a bit.

As you can see, there are a number of us that have gotten a lot of productive use out of the lens, with no other lens that can take its place.

Sep 16, 2013 at 05:34 PM
campy
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon 28-300mm IS

Thanks for all your help. The lens has excellent range but with the weight it may be a deal breaker for me. I think I may see if I can trade for something I might enjoy more. I have been thinking about the 6D and sell my 5D mk ii or maybe an 85mmL or 70-300 L. Do you think trading the 5D MK II and the 28-300 for a 5D MK III plus a little cash is fair?

Sep 16, 2013 at 06:29 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon 28-300mm IS

That would seem about equivalent to me. Maybe that's a little too much on your end. Perhaps some others will chime in on the relative values.

For me personally -- I'm pretty big, and I still have my older 5D2 and 1Ds3, plus the 28-300L. But everyone is different, and has different needs.

Sep 16, 2013 at 06:40 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.