Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Canon 28-300mm IS

campy
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Canon 28-300mm IS

Ran across a good deal on a used one today. It didn't have a lens hood or case but that's ok, I can always get a hood. I really wasn't looking to get one of these but I figured I would try it and see if it's for me. If I don't like it I know I could always sell it for what I paid. I don't think I like the push pull zoom but that may just need some time to get use to. The weight is another issue but it comes with the territory with a lens like this. Are there any tips I could get from other owners? Do you use it hand held or on a monopod?

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Canon 28-300mm IS

Congrats and I hope you like it! It's one of my favorite Canon lenses.

I shoot it hand held. The IS is really effective, even at 300mm.

Yes, you can get aftermarket lens hoods on eBay from HK/China. Very inexpensive. I like the uWinka brand -- I have a "white" and black version for this lens.

I like the push pull zoom, and I'm sure you will get used to it. I have the 100-400L too. One nice thing about these lenses is that you can use the locking tension ring to hold any focal length you desire.

I retract the lens to the shortest length for carrying from spot to spot, holding the lens/body up with my left hand to relieve weight, then rack it out to the focal length I want. Like a musical instrument, you get used to what focal length is at what extension. It's fast and smooth.

Looking forward to your views and photos!

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Cicopo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Canon 28-300mm IS

I use one for radio control events & it's great at that. Good coverage up close on the flight line & enough range on a 1D4 for a good part of the flying. I use it hand held & by the end of an event it's getting pretty heavy but it's my favorite lens. Now that I've finally adjusted to the push / pull I realize I hold it much better than a twist to zoom lens because my left hand it at the very front of the lens rather than in the middle.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:13 AM
campy
• •
p.1 #4 · Canon 28-300mm IS

So far I am not loving this lens. I find it heavier than I thought and not as sharp as I would like it to be for such an expensive lens. Although I am a little anal about sharpness. Anyone know the best way to focus tune this lens? It definitely has great range and the contrast seems good.

Sep 12, 2013 at 09:23 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #5 · Canon 28-300mm IS

the range is the biggest selling point for this lens.

I've had two copies and the first was the better of the two, but both suffered from CA and not so sharp.

It's a 10X zoom so it's really never going to be the sharpest tool in the bag. I sold both.

Sep 12, 2013 at 09:27 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Canon 28-300mm IS

Campy -- Sorry to hear that.

You can determine how heavy it is by reading its specs. You're right, it's not light!

I don't know about your copy, but mine is what I consider impressively sharp for a long zoom. I shoot it wide open, but get best results slightly stopped down, f/7.1 to f/8.0. 28mm is quite good at f/5.6.

I think I'm pretty critical of sharpness. I find the original EF 28/2.8 to be quite acceptable, and this lens is not much off that one. The rest of the range is also excellent, until just before 300mm where it lags a bit, but not bad.

These MA settings won't work for you, but just for general information, here is what I have: 1D3: +3; 5D2: 0; 1Ds3: -2. Essentially, it needs some of the least correction of any of my lenses.

Sep 12, 2013 at 09:38 PM
johnctharp
• • •
p.1 #7 · Canon 28-300mm IS

I'm wondering how well this lens will work with the 70D's DPAF setup for video. Anyone able to give it a shot?

Sep 12, 2013 at 09:55 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #8 · Canon 28-300mm IS

No question it's heavy especially after several hours of constant use but mine (bought used from forum member jcolwell) is sharp enough for my needs. It's my understanding that Jim had it serviced by Canon before selling it and maybe yours was sold because it needs a clean & calibrate.

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Canon 28-300mm IS

The weight is in the specs but getting hold of it is the only way to really appreciate that the weight distribution matters too - i.e. the weight seems heavier the farther it is from the camera because you need to support it farther from your body.

The 28-300 is not the sharpest but apply extra sharpening in processing and it will usually come up quite ok. That is, ok for super zoom. If you want sharper still then you get another lens or three because no others will cover the focal length range of this single lens.

I generally used mine hand-held with IS. A monopod helps but adds to the bulk and weight of the kit and to some extent defeats the purpose of having the all-in-one lens in the first place.

If your images are really too soft then it is possible that you have a substandard copy that needs a service. Try to determine whether and how the sharpness varies across the image to see if a lens element is out of alignment. Also try with and without IS in case the IS is playing up. And try to determine whether the soft images are all at or near a single focal length; if they're all at 300mm then stick with 250mm and see whether that is any better. 300mm is not the best performing FL of this lens - quite usable but not the best.

Your profile gives no hint as to what gear you have been using so far. With the 28-300 you need to give the IS at least half a second to get itself ready before you take a shot. Also, shooting at 300mm takes more care than shooting at 100mm, so you might need to brush up on your long lens technique. And if you are panning then you might do better with the mode 2 IS instead of IS. If you are not panning then stick with mode 1, even with a monopod. Turn IS off if you are using a tripod with the lens properly locked down but that should not be strictly necessary because the lens should recognise it is locked down and automatically disable the IS.

This is a compromise lens for sure, as are all super zooms, but its performance is still quite reasonable even though it is not stellar.

A modern high-res camera might get more detail out of it than the older cameras of 8 or 16 Mpx but perhaps not in proportion to the pixel count. So consider down-sizing the images after applying capture sharpening and lens corrections and you might be pleasantly surprised at how good they are.

- Alan

Sep 13, 2013 at 01:00 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Canon 28-300mm IS

I agree with Alan -- the 28-300L is much less weight than a 24-70/2.8L and 70-300L, plus probably as second body to keep them both available in the flurry of events. Quality wouldn't be lagging that far behind.

I'll have to break mine out and do some quick shots, maybe tomorrow.

I do want to stress that hand held technique is critical even with IS. I've pulled off some amazing shots at low shutter speeds with this lens, but as a rule, I use the reciprocal of the focal length as a MINIMUM. Generally I try to shoot at double the reciprocal for crisp images. Not accusing, just saying that's what I do.

Sep 13, 2013 at 04:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gocolts
• • •
p.1 #11 · Canon 28-300mm IS

I get good shots out of my old 35-350L, which obviously doesn't have IS, but is smaller/lighter than my old 28-300L. I can hold the camera fairly steady though, YMMV. Sure, it isn't quite as sharp as, say, a 24-105L, but my rule of thumb is to stop down a little if light permits, and if not, follow Allen321's advice about sharpening it up in post-processing.

It's great to be able to throw one lens on a camera and know you're set for 90% of the photo situations you might encounter.

Sep 13, 2013 at 03:04 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Canon 28-300mm IS

gocolts -- I loved my 35-350L. I think it was even sharper than my 28-300L. But as you say, it lacks IS which is a killer for me at long focal lengths, and I really need the 28mm. Both take great pictures.

campy -- I really hope you get settled in with your lens. Thanks for this thread as it prompted me to go out for some grab shots. Other than the size and weight, this lens is perfect for the type of thing you might do with a P&S -- except raised to the nth degree of quality.

I took it today to the local outdoor mall, and immediately found myself rewarded with a new perspective on the place -- even though I've shot there many times before. Let's see what you think.

I shot everything wide open. That means f/3.5 at 28mm, f/4.0 at 35mm, up to f/5.6 for (I think) 120mm and beyond. I've included the shooting data. All shots were simply processed in DPP, and this first set has no lens correction applied, only sharpening, exposure, and contrast adjustments on the RAW files.

Even wide open, CA and halation around highlights are acceptable, and could be further cleaned up in LR5 or PS (or smaller apertures -- I just shot wide open for the practical experience and posting).

The lens isn't perfect -- I'm not saying it is! It's not absolutely the sharpest, and certainly has strong vignetting at 28mm, and a fair amount of CA. But all things considered, it is plenty sharp enough for professional assignments, and capable of getting shots with a minimum of effort.

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    40mm    f/4.0    1/2500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    80mm    f/5.0    1/1250s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    285mm    f/5.6    1/800s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    28mm    f/3.5    1/1000s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    105mm    f/5.0    1/100s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Sep 13, 2013 at 06:58 PM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2013 at 06:47 PM
johnctharp
• • •
p.1 #13 · Canon 28-300mm IS

I still want to see a super-zoom DPAF shootout. 28-300 would be the ultimate 'video super-zoom' I'd think, especially with great AF and IS and a standard to super-telephoto field of view on APS-C; and the lens looks more than sharp enough stopped down a bit for the 2MP 1080p needs, especially since 16:9 captures crop off the extreme corners on any narrower format like 3:2 and 4:3.

Sep 13, 2013 at 06:57 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Canon 28-300mm IS

Well, John, here are some examples of both ends, wide and tele. Some of these I've applied the Canon lens corrections for vignetting, distortion, CA and color blur, beside the "normal" exposure and sharpness. LR5 would provide a wider range, but my computer blew up this week, so until I get a new one and load LR, I'm slumming with DPP!

Yes, I think this could be an outstanding lens for video -- I'd be excited to see how it performs with 70D touch screen focusing.

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    28mm    f/3.5    1/4000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    28mm    f/3.5    1/4000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    300mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    28mm    f/3.5    1/1600s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    300mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    200 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Edited on Sep 15, 2013 at 12:23 AM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2013 at 07:03 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Canon 28-300mm IS

campy -- Maybe I am foolish and/or ignorant. But I always thought of myself as picky and cynical.

These images definitely "make the cut" in my opinion. And as I said, these are wide open, which is not the way I'd normally use this lens. I mainly use between f/7.1 and f/10. I will say, from shooting a wedding with it, it does look outstanding on people shot wide open -- must be some of the spherical aberration softening rough edges, coupled with its moderate vignetting. Whatever it is, it shouldn't be avoided wide open.

I love how quickly it responded when the worker came over to feed the fish for me -- quick shift from close-up tele of the fish (not shown) to the distribution of pellets (caught the handful in the air!). These are the only two shots I fired of this gentleman. So, yes, I'm happy shooting the lens "from the hip".

The first and last shots are the only ones getting the lens corrections for distortion, vignetting and CA.

I could keep gushing and ruining your thread -- I have lots more examples from this fruitful trip.

Wishing you success with your new lens.

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    85mm    f/5.0    1/80s    400 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    80mm    f/5.0    1/250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    28mm    f/3.5    1/800s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    28mm    f/3.5    1/1250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    28mm    f/3.5    1/250s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Sep 13, 2013 at 07:11 PM
johnctharp
• • •
p.1 #16 · Canon 28-300mm IS

Thanks for sharing your shots, both of you!

I've used my 24-105L, 70-300 non-L, and 100L for video; I'd use my 24IS, but it's just too damn wide on FF, though a 35IS or 50IS would likely get a ton of use.

But what I've found is this- the 'best' focal length range for most DSLR video is the APS-C 18-200 range and the corresponding FF 28-300 range. I used my zooms both indoor and outdoor, tripod mounted, monopod mounted, and hand held, and I've found that I'd need both of them to really cover most video successfully. 70mm isn't wide enough on FF, and 100mm isn't long enough, for sure, and there doesn't seem to be any hurry to make zooms that cover that range, outside of the super-zooms, most of which are awful outside of Canon's L above.

Here's where I'm going with this- on the 70D, the 18-135 is currently far and above the best video zoom, given it's consistent if uninspiring resolving power and useful zoom range. If Canon were to produce an 18-200 IS STM, that'd probably replace the 18-135 for video, assuming they improve the optics over the current model far more than the 18-55 STM and 18-135 STM did over their predecessors.

But when DPAF makes it to full-frame, the 28-300L looks like the ringer. And hell, if the focus ring is reasonably amenable to video (the 100L's is NOT), I could probably employ the lens usefully on my 6D in the interim, and if I picked up a 70D, I'd still find it extremely useful there too, when the size and weight isn't a consideration, over the 18-135.

Sep 13, 2013 at 07:51 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #17 · Canon 28-300mm IS

This stays on my 1DS3 90% of the time

Sep 13, 2013 at 08:04 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #18 · Canon 28-300mm IS

I normally use mine for the radio control events on a 1Ds2 along with a 100-400 on the 1D4 but for last Sat's event I decided to use just the 1D4 & 28-300 knowing the flying would be closer than at many of the events. The weather was very overcast with light winds and we had a couple of short rain delays but the event ran most of the day as planned. I set the camera for 1/500 for all but a few shots but had to use + 1 2/3 to 2 1/3 EC all day to get some colour but all things considered I'm happy with the results The event album is here

http://picasaweb.google.com/TCPRCphotos/TheStetsonFlyers2013IMAAGiantScaleFunFly

I also have the 35-350 L & used it a few events back while letting a friend try my different lenses. I really noticed a difference in the AF speed between the 35-350 & the 28-300 with the focus limiter being a big part of the improvement. Note that the Piper Cubs flew nice & slow for many of their passes but the warbirds were at full song, which will be in the 100 MPH area.

Sep 13, 2013 at 08:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Canon 28-300mm IS

Cicopo wrote:
No question it's heavy especially after several hours of constant use but mine (bought used from forum member jcolwell) is sharp enough for my needs. It's my understanding that Jim had it serviced by Canon before selling it and maybe yours was sold because it needs a clean & calibrate.

Yep. CPS Canada rules!

If not for the fact that I generally prefer using two bodies, I'd still have the 28-300L IS.

I've been carting a 6D + 24-70/2.8L II and 1DX + 70-200/2.8L IS II (and misc. TS lenses, and 1DIV + 500/4L IS) around Newfoundland & Labrador for the past week or so. Currently, I'm storm-stayed in Port aux Basques, because my Friday midnight ferry home has been cancelled. If I get on the Saturday noon ferry, I'll have about nine hours to swap gear for my Sunday morning trip to Utah. Plus, I have to do laundry.

Sep 13, 2013 at 08:56 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #20 · Canon 28-300mm IS

Jim I'm VERY pleased with it & it's my most used lens. It may see some use tomorrow at Wings over Gatineau but my main lens for tomorrow should be the 100-400.

Sep 13, 2013 at 09:05 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password