Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

pdt0102

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

There are many compact M and mirrorless compact cameras releases lately from different manufacturers. Just wondering if the M8 is still a good camera to get vs getting these new cameras to use with Leica lenses?

Sep 10, 2013 at 03:34 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

pdt0102 wrote:
There are many compact M and mirrorless compact cameras releases lately from different manufacturers. Just wondering if the M8 is still a good camera to get vs getting these new cameras to use with Leica lenses?

If you want latest gadget with good high iso, than the answer is no.
If you want a rangefinder and can't afford the M9 or M, than the answer is yes.
If you want the best way to manual focus the M lenses, than the answer is yes.
If you want a fantastic camera on low (160, 320) ISO's, than the answer is yes

The M8 has some flaws like more noise on high iso's, need to 6-bit code wide angle lenses and the need to use UV/IR filters.
But beside that, its a great rangefinder camera and I really loved its output. The colors on low ISO's are really stunning.
It has a 1,33x smaller sensor which is nice compared to the 1,6x or 1,5x mirrorless camera's.

And, no matter how good the mirrorless camera's are, they are no rangefinder camera and can't compete if you are looking for one.

Sep 10, 2013 at 04:08 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

IMO the M8 was never a good camera. Even in its own time there were many better alternatives. I see it as a first attempt to go digital by Leica and it was just an average attempt.

Sep 10, 2013 at 04:25 PM
deebo7
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

im using it and i love it.

Sep 10, 2013 at 04:43 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

I really enjoyed using my M8 and the output (at low ISO) was quite exceptional. Yes, it does have some drawbacks but it can be a great way to test the rangefinder market and see if you enjoy the shooting experience. Give it a shot and try it out.

Sep 10, 2013 at 04:54 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

I agree 100% with Gary's previous post. I had mine for about 8 months and enjoyed using it more than my Canon 5D Mk III, even though I tend to employ alt lenses on the latter.

I sold the M8 purely to fund an 'upgrade' to an M9. Wish I had kept the M8 as well, especially when I see prices for it have climbed even in the 6 weeks or so since I sold mine.

Another great feature of the M8 is the ability to use it as an IR cam, adjustment for focus for the IR-passband wavelength is a bit hit and miss, but the results can be very satisfying.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:25 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

Used prices have levelled and went up a bit.

I've read people prefer the m8 for b&w over the m9.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

I miss my black beauty....

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

Its quite good camera, only real downsides are need for UV/IR (unless you shoot BW) and 8-bit DNGs, which means you need to nail exposure really good (kinda stupid as internal ADC is 14-bit).

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

It's an adorable ballbreaker

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Sam_W
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

The bigger issue here is that Leica has been running out of replacement parts for the M8. So when it dies, it's gone. I believe Erwin Puts wrote an article about that just recently.

The cameras are now pushing on, what, five years? Definitely in the "going to kick it any day now" zone for the electronic components. Ditto if you accidentally drop it.

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:12 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

Yes, that's certainly a risk with any electronic component, with limited repairability.

I was astounded to see that a US eB** auction closed a day or so ago, at nearly $3000 for a "mint" silver M8.

I've bought quite a few legacy cams in the last couple of years and I've been lucky, on the whole (eg Canon EOS 3 and Contax N1 and RX still functioning), but a really cheap P645 arrived with battery box corrosion yesterday, and was still dead after cleaning

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:20 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

I find it hard to believe that a company which services 50 yr old barnacks etc will let a 5 yr old product go without parts...

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Sam_W
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

Spyro P. wrote:
I find it hard to believe that a company which services 50 yr old barnacks etc will let a 5 yr old product go without parts...

Leica can completely service the parts which they manufactured. That being said, they didn't make the sensor, the display screen, the PCB, and so forth.

The metal components of the M8 will surely have a long lifetime - maybe not 50 years, but an easy couple of decades. The electronic components, not so much.

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

Of course... so the same goes for every DRF they've made?

Sep 12, 2013 at 01:08 AM
Joseph Garcin
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

I can highly recommend the M8. I have been shooting with it for a year now, and even without the fancy and expensive Leica glass, I find it can compete with anything out there at its base ISO of 160. It's small, fun, and simply a blast. Don't shoot above ISO 320, and you will be happy.

Is it the best value for the money? Not even close. Or Leica lenses worth the price? I don't think so. Will it be unfixable in a year? Probably. Do you live twice so that you can redo all the things you wish you would have tried? I don't know, but I don't think so.

Sep 12, 2013 at 01:11 AM
khiromu
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is M8 still a good camera to ..

I still like the "process of taking pictures" with M8 much more than other cameras such as DSLRs.

Sep 12, 2013 at 09:18 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.