New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Selective import for LR4

wuping
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selective import for LR4

I'm looking for an easy way to import photo's that are locked in my camera. In essence, just allowing the locked images to be imported quickly and the remaining images can be imported later on. Locktastic is a plugin that works but does not allow me to import to a particular file location. I have heard of some workarounds for doing this, but have not seen any posted here or on other sites. Curious to see how others are handling a simple problem that Adobe should have addressed years ago.

Sep 10, 2013 at 02:36 PM
Mike Lambert
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selective import for LR4

I end up with typically 1800 photos from an event and when in pressure situations found that Lightroom is too slow to show me the shots. I googled and found that many sports shooters were using Photo Mechanic so I tried that. With this I can view previews really fast and make a quick selection by either rating or colour to make my pick and at the end can select just those images and bring them into Lightroom.

Not quite what you're asking for; but if your situation is like mine I don't have time to lock photos when on a job (have tried it) and my judgement about what is a good sharp shot is much easier made on a large monitor than on a 3" LCD screen. You can download a trial of it and see how it goes for you.

I use it to rename and copy the files to a new dated folder and while its doing that I am already viewing and rating. As I shoot RAW lightroom is a long way behind this method in terms of speed!

Sep 10, 2013 at 06:18 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selective import for LR4

I have heard a lot of good things about Photo Mechanic on several forums from event shooters. Personally, I try to avoid event shooting. I enjoy conferences, but weddings no.

Brian A

Sep 10, 2013 at 07:09 PM
wuping
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selective import for LR4

I'm familiar with PM but am not willing to part company with $150 at this time. Even with this software, the images will have to be run through LR or PS for sharpening, noise reduction etc.

Sep 10, 2013 at 07:12 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Selective import for LR4

wuping wrote:
I'm familiar with PM but am not willing to part company with $150 at this time. Even with this software, the images will have to be run through LR or PS for sharpening, noise reduction etc.

If you're shooting RAW, they have to be run through something for RAW development, Photo Mechanic isn't a RAW converter.

<Chas>

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:13 PM
Mike Lambert
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Selective import for LR4

I hear you, its a lot of money but for sports people its ideal as it has fantastic captioning/metadata abilities too. I don't expect it to process RAW but it will show a full screen preview and allow you to flick through and rate quicker than anything else I've tried. So when I get back from the track I make the selection and import just those into Lightroom and while they're cooking I eat my dinner.

So for me its been well worth the money and after a year of using it I really appreciate the time its saved me. As they say, YMMV. I hope you find a solution that works for you. From memory of way back when I used Windows laptops Breezebrowser would do what you want I think.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:22 PM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Selective import for LR4

Maybe you could use the camera manufacturers software to import the files.

I doubt Adobe is going to add this functionality to LR.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:28 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Selective import for LR4

Nikon Transfer 2 will let you select protected files from the edit menu, and that will let transfer those files to another folder from which Lr can automatically or manually import them.

- Alan

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.