Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       5       end
  

BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L
  
 
PV Hiker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


Back to a bird on a stick.......

1DX 200-400mm @ 560mm 1/2000 f5.6 ISO 1000 On monopod.

Original 5184x3456 cropped to 1986x1969 sized for web at 850x843




Edited on Sep 20, 2013 at 03:25 AM · View previous versions



Sep 14, 2013 at 03:03 AM
vivisha
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


Imagemaster wrote:
English is my first language, and if it is not affordable for someone, it is not even usable for them, so how could it be versatile for them?

Versatile: adjective: able to adapt or be adapted to many different functions or activities


I get your point, to me it's really overpriced and personally have no use for the lens, but, I also can see how someone can use this zoom and have it replace a 200, 300, 400 and 500mm lenses, doesn't that make the lens versatile? The fact that it's not affordable for the masses it's just your argument to make the lens seem as not versatile.




Sep 14, 2013 at 03:03 AM
Roland W
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


From my point of view, the Canon 200-400 is very versatile with the high quality quickly adjusted coverage from 200 to 560. I waited for many years for Canon to counter Nikon on this, and then waited many more years for it to actually come out, but I am totally happy with my copy. I will not bother discussing the definition of the word versatile as it applies to other things, but it is I think the perfect word for the 200-400. I have a 300 f2.8, but never bought a 200 or a 400 or a 500 or a 600 or an 800, and now probably never will, because my 200-400 1.4X does fine for me for that general range. I nearly always shoot with a gimbal, so the difficult hand holding is not a big consideration for me.


Sep 14, 2013 at 03:57 AM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


Hey, if you want it and can afford it, go and buy it. I can afford it, but will not buy it because it is too restrictive for my style of shooting. Just as I will never buy a 300 f2.8, 400 f2.8, 500 f4, 600 f4, or 800 f5.6. All great lenses, but for me they all suck.

Well maybe if I win the lottery and can hire a porter to carry all my gear.



Sep 14, 2013 at 04:09 AM
SKumar25
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #5 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


Imagemaster wrote:
Oh foolish me, I should have said more versatile for me and most other photographers. Which is why in the next year the 100-400 will outsell the 200-400 by 1,000 to 1 or more. I wonder why Certainly can't be because it is more versatile. A 200-400 that most people can't afford does not make it very versatile.


Interesting logic.

A Canon Powershot G1X outsells the 1DX by > 1,000 to 1. So a 1DX that most people can't afford does not make it very versatile?

Your logic is along these lines.

Imagemaster wrote:
Versatile: adjective: able to adapt or be adapted to many different functions or activities


The definition of versatile has no relation to cost, including the one you've attached. You somehow have intertwined the 2.



Sep 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM
gocolts
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


My buddy didn't understand why I paid $2k for a 70-200 2.8 MKII, when I could get a 70-200 f/4 non-IS like his for $500. And I said "well, even though it's heavy and expensive, for my shooting needs, this is able to replace my 85mm 1.4, 135mm f/2, 70-200 f/4, and in a pinch can perform well with TC's, replacing my 300 f/4". This same logic applies for many with the 200-400 IMO, only on a larger fiscal scale.

It seems like many owners of the 200-400 don't look at it as such a big financial hit, because they were able to sell 2-3 highly priced lenses because of the acquisition of the 200-400. It's 3+ tools in one for many people. But- for those who don't need all the benefits the 200-400 provides, then yea, it doesn't make sense no matter what it costs.



Sep 14, 2013 at 02:42 PM
Sneakyracer
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #7 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


There is a really clear reason why most people think the Canon 200-400mm f4L is overpriced...The Nikon has been made for years and even updated (v2) and costs $6,749. The Canon costs $5,000 more. That is a huge amount of money for a slight increase in optical performance (if any) and a 1.4x converter.




Sep 14, 2013 at 04:26 PM
jvphotos
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #8 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


gocolts wrote:
My buddy didn't understand why I paid $2k for a 70-200 2.8 MKII, when I could get a 70-200 f/4 non-IS like his for $500.




I used to feel that way... then I started using F4 on a rebel in churches and subway stations and conference halls lol


Although I will say that I was much happier when I believed that the 450-550$ would be "close enough" to the 70-200 2.8 IS that I wouldn't ever want to spend $2000+ on the big boy. .



Sep 14, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #9 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


SKumar25 wrote:
A Canon Powershot G1X outsells the 1DX by > 1,000 to 1. So a 1DX that most people can't afford does not make it very versatile?

Your logic is along these lines.


That's right, my logic, not yours. When I take the versatility of a camera or lens into account, I include cost as a versatility factor, just the same as weight and size. Those G1X buyers found the 1DX had a poor cost-versatility factor for their budgets.

SKumar25 wrote:


The definition of versatile has no relation to cost, including the one you've attached. You somehow have intertwined the 2.


Well since the cost of the 1DX prevents those G1X buyers from being able to adapt it to their activities, why shouldn't I?



Sep 14, 2013 at 05:35 PM
PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #10 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


1DX + 200-400L @ 560mm

Edited on Sep 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM · View previous versions



Sep 14, 2013 at 07:08 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



StillFingerz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #11 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


Peter, the caption I'd put for this image might be a bit too colorful, what exactly was your wood pijun's tone, was it attacking, excited, just glad to see you, or was he commenting on, inquiring about your use of a zooooom

Love the tilt of his head, great capture!



Sep 14, 2013 at 07:32 PM
PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #12 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


Jerry, the drakes periodically raise their mane/hood......perhaps just an assertive type of male behaviour.


Sep 14, 2013 at 09:48 PM
StillFingerz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #13 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


Tis near end of summer, there could indeed be some foul play yet remaining, do be careful as it would not be proper to dissuade such assertive behavior...unless of course you have video and audio running at full gain


Sep 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM
dehowie
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #14 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


Imagemaster wrote:
Oh foolish me, I should have said more versatile for me and most other photographers. Which is why in the next year the 100-400 will outsell the 200-400 by 1,000 to 1 or more. I wonder why Certainly can't be because it is more versatile. A 200-400 that most people can't afford does not make it very versatile.



How ridiculous..
Let me see one lens cover 100-400 one for 200-560.
With a one stop advantage in light,..a two stop IS advantage and IQ far superior frame edge to edge and far better AF performance(more light more sensors) price does not have a place..sorry.
If you feel it does maybe you should trade the 100-400 for an Iphone 5.
If you would like the extra versatility the 200-560 offers step up but please dont try to convince us a lens with 160mm less focal length,superior IQ,superior IS,superior AF response is more versatile because its cheaper.
Nothing like having that extra 100mm shortness exactly when i need it at the other end..
As a long time owner and user of the 100-400 please its virtues are tried and tested here as well are its limitations.
That is why i have a 200-400..




Sep 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #15 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


Read my lips: more versatile for me

I really don't care what you think is more versatile. And in case you still don't get it, I am sure some people think an iPhone 5 is more versatile than both lenses. How ridiculous, eh?



Sep 15, 2013 at 12:18 AM
SKumar25
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #16 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


Imagemaster wrote:
... I include cost as a versatility factor, just the same as weight and size.


I understand you're having trouble coming to grips with this, but cost is independent of versatility. "Cost as a versatility factor" is nonsense. You do not seem to know what versatile means despite English being your first language (As you pointed out).

Imagemaster wrote:
Those G1X buyers found the 1DX had a poor cost-versatility factor for their budgets.


A ratio like versatility to cost makes sense. But here we are talking about versatility and cost as separate entities and dividing one by the other. Like bang for buck, or value for money it makes sense. You did not say 100-400 is better value though, you said the 100-400 is even more versatile than the 200-400.

Imagemaster wrote:
Well since the cost of the 1DX prevents those G1X buyers from being able to adapt it to their activities, why shouldn't I?


That's fine, but a G1X buyer can not claim their camera is more versatile than the 1DX. These are tools for different purposes, both are versatile in their own way.

The fact a G1X owner may not be able to afford a 1DX is irrelevant. The 1DX may be for a different market / purpose, for which it has versatility beyond that of the P&S.

A Powershot user, coming to a pro gear thread and claiming their camera is more versatile will get laughed at.

You appear to have a "I/me" centric outlook on things. You don't get to define words as you see fit or decide what is versatile for everyone or not. The world does not revolve around you. You need to figure out your place in it.

Edited on Sep 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM · View previous versions



Sep 15, 2013 at 08:46 AM
SKumar25
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #17 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


Imagemaster wrote:
Read my lips: more versatile for me


Now that you've figured this out can we end the negativity and raining on peoples parades?

Edited on Sep 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM · View previous versions



Sep 15, 2013 at 09:03 AM
Paul Mo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #18 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


StillFingerz wrote:
Peter, the caption I'd put for this image might be a bit too colorful, what exactly was your wood pijun's tone...


See those red eyes? That's Nikon fever.



Sep 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Lan11
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #19 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


Q: "…the drakes periodically raise their mane/hood......perhaps just an assertive type of male behaviour."
Q: "Tis near end of summer, there could indeed be some foul play yet remaining, do be careful as it would not be proper to dissuade such assertive behavior...unless of course you have video and audio running at full gain "


I think PetKal's observation is a disguised reference about some posts. : -)
But seriously, why so many threads have to be downgraded to the silly pissing contests about the best, sharpest, or most versatile……….?



Sep 15, 2013 at 03:04 PM
PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #20 · BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L


Lan11 wrote:
Q: "…the drakes periodically raise their mane/hood......perhaps just an assertive type of male behaviour."
Q: "Tis near end of summer, there could indeed be some foul play yet remaining, do be careful as it would not be proper to dissuade such assertive behavior...unless of course you have video and audio running at full gain "

I think PetKal's observation is a disguised reference about some posts. : -)
But seriously, why so many threads have to be downgraded to the silly pissing contests about the best, sharpest, or most versatile……….?


I say...



Sep 15, 2013 at 03:51 PM
1       2       3      
4
       5       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password