Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Night Lights

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Night Lights

Just a test shot and some new processing testing ... so please be brutal with micro-nits (reworks welcome as always).

Sep 10, 2013 at 05:54 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Night Lights

Beautiful image. You have processed it well but I would consider bringing up the highlights on the top half of the image a little more. I might have shot it at F14 vs F8 as the buildings in the back are a tad soft. As an alternate solution you could have shot two images at F8, one for foreground sharpness and a second for the background buildings and combined in CS giving appropriate sharpness over the entire image. You will also be able to sharpen up just the buildings separately which would help with the slight softness. Minor nits stated above, overall well done. I posted a re-work for an example using luminosity masks to increase the brightness of the highlights on the distant buildings.

I did not do anything to the sharpness of the image.

Sep 10, 2013 at 06:38 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Night Lights

Perhaps alter the composition to move the waterline off center and give the starburst light on the right a little breathing space?

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Night Lights

Thanks guys (or should I say gals). Any thoughts on noise vs. detail?

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:03 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Night Lights

In my version I used noise reduction for the outer edges of the sky, sides and water foreground. I didn't apply it to the bright parts because it would reduce the sharpness further. I did bump the mid-tone contrast with the USM at 16, 60, 0. More sharpness/resolution in the original would have perhaps been a plus.

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:13 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Night Lights

The small version posted isn't satisfactory for judging noise but I do agree with AuntiPode about using selective noise reduction on the non detailed parts of the image.

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:20 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password