Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · HS Football - 1st Time

alainadenean

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Football - 1st Time

I was able to go along with someone shooting for a TV station and decided to take some of my own.
I was only at this game for part of the first quarter. It was my first time shooting high school, and first time shooting football at night. It was quite different and I definitely want to go back and shoot some more.

Advice is welcome!

-Alaina

1. Canon 5D Mark III Sigma 70-200 1/500 sec f/2.8 ISO 2500

2. Canon 5D Mark III Sigma 70-200 1/640 sec f/3.5 ISO 6400

3. Canon 5D Mark III Sigma 70-200 1/640 sec f/3.5 ISO 6400

Sep 10, 2013 at 05:41 PM
TSpyers
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Football - 1st Time

Welcome to the group! Shooting night football is a different beast and does take a lot of work and practice. Just like shooting any sports, the big thing is ball, eyes, action. If you can nail those 3 you are off to a good start. My advice to you is that with a 70-200 you are going to have to get into a position and be patient to let the action come to you; don't overshoot the lens and hope to crop later. All 3 are soft so not sure, but they appear to be heavy crops. #1 is good, hard to see the eyes though (maybe a better one in the series). #2 past peak action and loose. #3 watch your horizon lines, the legs don't add much to this so a tighter crop just below the waist might help the intensity (not sure if you can though without sacrificing quality).

Keep shooting and posting here...it will all come together.

Tim

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:59 PM
alainadenean

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Football - 1st Time

Thank you for your input! Yes, these are already cropped in pretty far. I shot with an extender at the Bama vs. VTech game, and was advised against it. I know everyone on here has their different methods, but for a college game, would you recommend following along the sidelines, or parking it in an end-zone? I know for the high school, I was able to follow them for the most part, but the college game, I stayed in almost one spot for each quarter. If I had a 400mm or 600mm I know that wouldn't be such a bad thing, but with a 70-200mm, I can't really get much past the 50yrd line if I'm in an end-zone.

I love the advice for ball, eyes, and action. I'm definitely working on that, and trying to expose for the faces. (My college ones were a bit underexposed.) Any more advice is greatly welcome!

Sep 11, 2013 at 04:59 PM
TSpyers
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Football - 1st Time

Follow or park is completely up to you, my only suggestion would be with using a 70-200 would be to not try to shoot over 20-30 yards. For high school I typically follow as much as I can staying 30-40 yards in front of the play (shooting offense); I'm using a 400 so that works good for me and I have a 70-200 on a second body I can switch to quickly if needed on closer plays. Once the team gets between the 40 and the 30 yard line I will try to park myself in the back of the end zone to try to ensure that I am getting faces coming towards me. YMMV with this and other shooters have a process that works for them. Finding your rhythm for the game based on your equipment will come with time.

Tim

Sep 11, 2013 at 05:16 PM
BillP57
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Football - 1st Time

Not too bad for a first time at HS night football. I haven't used a 5D3, but from what I have seen posted I think you can push the ISO a little farther. As Tim said with the 70-200 you should limit yourself to action within about 20-30 yds. I try to follow along the sideline while avoiding the team area between the 30's. Shooting and posting for critique and comments is the best way to improve.

Bill

Sep 12, 2013 at 03:57 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password