Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

cathy_price

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

I'm a CPP (certified professional photographer). While many clients may snub the importance of it, I still think it's incredibly important to do anything and everything you can to further your career. This is a great way to do it. If you don't have the info, check out this website:

http://www.ppa.com/cpp

Thoughts on advantages? Why or why not?

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:51 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

No, because art is subjective and I personally think the idea is silly. Do you think Jackson Pollock would have granted certification as a professional painter?

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:56 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

PPA just wants your money.

I literally have not had a single customer EVER ask me if I was a CPP. I doubt many of them even know what that is.

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:58 AM
cathy_price

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

Jamie, on a side note, I never knew "deepbluejh" was ever you (in my former FM days). I found your work on FB and dialogue with you every now and then. Small world.

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:01 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

Yeah, I wouldn't waste my time/money on that. Isn't the exam all technical stuff? I remember when I worked in IT, having an MCSE or whatever other certification there were didn't amount to much, as long as you knew your shit. Those exams just say, "Hey, I read a book and answered the required amount of questions correctly." If you can't apply them into real world scenarios, then they are worthless.

I once had a grocery store stockboy who had their MCSE and no IT experience apply for a job. I didn't hire him.

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:08 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

I'd be interested in hearing what it has to offer.

My guess is that other FM'er's opinions on it will be just like opinions on marketing thru bridal shows, online directories, etc.- it works for a few people, but for the $6k to $10k crowd, it doesn't.

Would love to hear the objective reasons why it does/doesn't work versus people just saying, "It doesn't work".

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:11 AM
cathy_price

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

It's not just an exam (I passed it and it's tough!). It requires not only the knowledge of photography and lighting, but also a pretty rigorous image submission. If you're not involved in PPA, I would at least encourage trying IPC (international print competition). It helps keep you abreast of what's going on in the photo world and it helps keep me on the edge of my game. That, paired with joining a few online forums, keeps me current.

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:14 AM
cathy_price

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

For me, honestly, it forced me to learn everything...not just the digital stuff. To pass, you have to know the foundations. It's crucial (to me) to know those things because it seems to me that style trumps foundations these days...just an opinion. I find teachers focusing less on what makes a photograph and more on what the latest trend is or the latest camera. For CPP, you have to know how to use a light meter, how to compose, what type of lighting to use for different body types, and so on. It helps you become a stronger photographer and gives you a stronger appreciation for the art.

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:17 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

There are different ways to expand skills and I guess it is different strokes for different folks. Some just practice and turn out great. Some just practice and think they are doing great. Other do workshops, watch dvd's. some study and back engineer shots that they see and so on.

At the end of the day telling a client you are a cpp will matter little. If it makes you a better photographer they may book you because of how you grew from it but in their minds they just love the work.

If your own work is kicking goals that other photographers are not that may also influence them to consider becoming a cpp when you explain that is what helped you get to where you are.

Edited on Sep 10, 2013 at 09:47 AM · View previous versions

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:40 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

I'm a member of PPA but don't really have time or interest in getting certified. Has zero impact on my business. I've been shooting weddings since 2002, and still have not had one single prospective client ask if I was certified. And if they did, I'll certify myself through the RMPA (Ron McKinney Photography Association).

I've seen some crappy work by CPP's, and I've seen great work by them. I've seen CPPs be very successful in this business, and I've seen them fail.

If you're certified, good on you. But it doesn't mean anything to me.

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:44 AM
cathy_price

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

I guess if I had to say what the biggest motivation for me to attain it was accountability. An exam paired with image submission is a great way to make sure that you attain certain goals. I learned in the process and became stronger. Does it matter to a bride? Probably not. Does it matter to me? Yes. Not necessarily for the title, but because it's good for ME to make sure that I constantly pursue getting stronger in my field.

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:52 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

Certification for photographers is nice,... but let's be serious here: this is hiring a photographer, not looking for a pediatrician for your child or an ob/gyn. If someone just looks at your portfolio, decides they like it, and you have the skill and enough albums to prove that it's really you, then everyone's happy. No?

It's not as if the CPP offers insurance and quality guarantee to any potential customers. The CPP certification doesn't seem to offer anything that would give the edge to two similarly skilled photographers with similar portfolios. People usually ask "What kind of camera do you use?" not "Are you certified?" ...How many people actually think CPP is the official agency for certification purposes?

You don't always need a light meter to measure light correctly, from my experience. Between spot and matrix metering, I can properly expose 99% of the time. Composing? That's just usually a talented eye, a disciplined person studying a lot, or years of experience, reflected in one's portfolio. What type of lighting to use for different body types: what if a photographer only photographs skinny models for Vogue and Harper's Bazaar? Or if they only do landscapes?

Granted, certification is nice, but it's not a proven indicator or guarantee of skill. Should be to each their own. I think (aspiring and professional) photographers generally aim to be better photographers, not necessarily "certified" photographers.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

I think only a few aim to be better while many think they can will it on with a bit more passion. We have a high ratio on fm of terrific shooters but not sure that percentage is an industry wide reflection. Perhaps it is.

I applaud anyone taking some measure to move forward.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM
bellissimogirl
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

I am currently working on my CPP. I've been shooting professionally for over 6 years. I don't think my clients are going to care if I'm certified, but it has helped improve on some of the universal fundamentals of good photography where maybe I wasn't as strong. I also have found that participating on a local level with ppa competitions has been a great way to improve my work. Again, clients won't care about any of that, but if your work is better, you can charge more and sell more.

Sep 10, 2013 at 01:01 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

Another thing that the CPP does not measure that is key to success in the wedding photo industry is how you interact with your clients, your personality. You have some great CPPs who are total duds in interacting with clients -- and due to that, despite their technical skills and ability to make sensational prints, there is no guarantee they would be successful as a wedding photographer.

I'm not dissing the CPP. If you find it important, that's great for you. A lot of people find it important. Wedding photographers, as a group, maybe less so.

Sep 10, 2013 at 01:20 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

I think the CPP can be a good test and opportunity to push yourself. Like others I find the marketability dubious. The last thing I'm going to do is waste client attention focusing on a certification that anyone can earn. I'd rather promote what I can do rather than what everyone else can do.

- trr

Sep 10, 2013 at 01:28 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

Interestingly, I find alot more photographers in Asia that value such certifications and even go to lengths with Master of this or Award winning that. Here not so much.

Inky brought up MCSE and it reminded me when I use to hire IT staff. While seeing the likes of MCSE or CBIPP or PMP is a good indicator, it is hardly the litmus test for my decision making. It came down to me getting a good confident knowing if this person can do the job or not.

If you think CPP will spur you on to be better then go for it.

Sep 10, 2013 at 03:00 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

I got my CPP back in 2007. I was 23, so I felt somewhat accomplished as I had believed at that time it was something to be proud of. But honestly, I had been doing photography for 2 years and I felt that it was an easy test.

After seeing other people pass the test who's work was somewhat rudimentary in technique, it made the whole thing feel less special.

I think back in the day, with film, the certification would have held more weight. Consumers didn't browse your work through online galleries 20 years ago, and so when they came in the studio and saw your work, accompanied by a "prestigious certification", it could of easily been something potential customers saw as positive reinforcement for them.

Today I think it will do very very little towards your credibility in the clients mind.

I never renewed after 2010 (3 year period) because I didn't see any value in it. I just got a letter in the mail from PPA saying they'll renew it without any additional review if I simply join the PPA and pay my dues. Seems like a way they try to get money these days.

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:37 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

sboerup wrote:
I think back in the day, with film, the certification would have held more weight.

Nah. Only among PPA members. They love, love, love wearing them medals.

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:44 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is anyone a CPP? Why/why not?

I've never heard of it.

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.