Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       11              15       16       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

millsart wrote:
At longer focal lengths its possible the in lenses system is better than the sensor IBIS, so for a lens like a 100-300 at 600mm eqiv the lens IS might prove better than the IBIS

At least as far as my Canon and Nikon supertele's have been, the in lens VR has always seemed too work well

I would normally agree but for this lens I found the OM-D's IBIS superior to the IS on the 100-300. It was close but I got a few more keepers with IBIS.

Sep 22, 2013 at 03:58 AM
traveler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

I had the 100-300 for a bit with a EM5 and indeed the IBIS was superior in ALL repects to the lens IS.

Sep 22, 2013 at 04:58 AM
traveler
• • • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Don't know if you were aware of it but Olympus is now offering to U.S customers, who order the OMD-EM1 AND the 12-40 f2.8 lens a $200 rebate to apologize for the lack of availability of the kits. This is via the dealer I've gotten my EM5 from and just ordered the EM1 and Grip from along with the lens. Not a bad apology if I do say so. The only bummer is having to wait till end of Nov-Early Dec for the lens to arrive.

Sep 22, 2013 at 05:00 AM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

This is great news - if it's true. Can anyone else corroborate this? When I called B&H to pre-order the camera and lens as a kit for $2,100 on the day it was officially announced, B&H accepted and confirmed my order by email, but the very next morning they cancelled the order as they apparently could not accept pre-orders for the kit, so I've had to resubmit my order for the body and lens separately. It would be terrific if we can get a $200 rebate or refund afterwards.

traveler wrote:
Don't know if you were aware of it but Olympus is now offering to U.S customers, who order the OMD-EM1 AND the 12-40 f2.8 lens a $200 rebate to apologize for the lack of availability of the kits. This is via the dealer I've gotten my EM5 from and just ordered the EM1 and Grip from along with the lens. Not a bad apology if I do say so. The only bummer is having to wait till end of Nov-Early Dec for the lens to arrive.

Sep 22, 2013 at 01:03 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

EXCELLENTE .... review of the M. Zuiko 12-40 PRO zoom:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/09/22/review-olympus-12-40mm-f2-8-micro-four-thirds/

Sep 22, 2013 at 02:01 PM
cocosphere
• •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

bobbytan wrote:
EXCELLENTE .... review of the M. Zuiko 12-40 PRO zoom:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/09/22/review-olympus-12-40mm-f2-8-micro-four-thirds/

Excerpt from above review regarding the 12-40:

"If the user chooses an exact focusing point, they’ll find that the focusing will perform the fastest and most accurately. When the camera is told to choose the focusing point/area, it may not always be accurate or in focus."

Is this just a disclaimer for autofocus in general? All the early reviews/ previews are indeed very positive for this lens.

Sep 22, 2013 at 04:23 PM
TMaG82
• • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

bobbytan wrote:
This is great news - if it's true. Can anyone else corroborate this? When I called B&H to pre-order the camera and lens as a kit for $2,100 on the day it was officially announced, B&H accepted and confirmed my order by email, but the very next morning they cancelled the order as they apparently could not accept pre-orders for the kit, so I've had to resubmit my order for the body and lens separately. It would be terrific if we can get a $200 rebate or refund afterwards.

I hope this is true as well. I ordered the body + lens at both aAmazon and B&H and no word of a price adjustment. Previously when I inquired at a dealer that was rumored to have a kit, they stated that they do not have a bundle at they would be unable to offer a bundle pricing AND the free accessory. I'll inquire at Olympus directly.

Sep 22, 2013 at 04:59 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

cocosphere wrote:
Excerpt from above review regarding the 12-40:

"If the user chooses an exact focusing point, they’ll find that the focusing will perform the fastest and most accurately. When the camera is told to choose the focusing point/area, it may not always be accurate or in focus."

Is this just a disclaimer for autofocus in general? All the early reviews/ previews are indeed very positive for this lens.

Just a disclaimer in general. Auto-point-selection is prone to mischoosing AF points on any system.

Sep 22, 2013 at 05:48 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

TMaG82 wrote:
I hope this is true as well. I ordered the body + lens at both aAmazon and B&H and no word of a price adjustment. Previously when I inquired at a dealer that was rumored to have a kit, they stated that they do not have a bundle at they would be unable to offer a bundle pricing AND the free accessory. I'll inquire at Olympus directly.

Appreciate if you could let us know what they had to say. The kit is available for pre-order in Europe, so it's a little odd that it's not being offered in the US at this time.

Sep 22, 2013 at 06:01 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Guys, there is NO KIT. You'll have to get over it. You can NOT order it (at least not in the U.S) and it does effectively NOT exist. If you order a body and also order the 12-40 f2.8 lens you ARE entitled to a $200 rebate. I have NO idea what other dealers are doing, but this is what I've been told by the owner, Joel, of Cameraland in New York. I got a boatload of Oly gear from them when I got the OMD-EM5 and got mine weeks before others did so they are certainly reputable. If you want to learn more give them a call I guess. Not listen to me... (212) 753 5128

Sep 22, 2013 at 08:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

eieio

p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

may i ask where best to order the EM1 body and flash (for the rebate offer) in the USA to get reasonable assurance of getting it sooner rather than later? there are sites which specifically says: "due to high demand, our initial shipment from Olympus will NOT be sufficient to satisfy our current number of pre-orders, so customers' pre-orders will be first ordered, first shipped".

effectively, that has no real date whatsoever. if the first batch of shipment were to arrive on Oct 4th, then the 2nd batch of shipment has no date whatsoever -- i.e. it could be the week after, or, a month later!

may i ask what y'all think, please? thanks.

Sep 22, 2013 at 09:26 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

eieio wrote:
may i ask where best to order the EM1 body and flash (for the rebate offer) in the USA to get reasonable assurance of getting it sooner rather than later? there are sites which specifically says: "due to high demand, our initial shipment from Olympus will NOT be sufficient to satisfy our current number of pre-orders, so customers' pre-orders will be first ordered, first shipped".

effectively, that has no real date whatsoever. if the first batch of shipment were to arrive on Oct 4th, then the 2nd batch of shipment has no date whatsoever -- i.e. it could be the
...Show more

Me thinks what you think.

Sep 22, 2013 at 09:42 PM
TMaG82
• • •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

eieio wrote:

effectively, that has no real date whatsoever. if the first batch of shipment were to arrive on Oct 4th, then the 2nd batch of shipment has no date whatsoever -- i.e. it could be the
...Show more

It was this reason I placed 3 orders for the E-M1 at 3 different retailers. I want to ensure that I get one before my 2 week vacation in the middle of October. I'll cancel the other 2 when I get shipping confirmation from the first place.

Sep 22, 2013 at 10:30 PM
TMaG82
• • •
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Got a call from Olympus confirming my shipping and billing address. Ordered the body and free adapter, rep said it was in stock and Ill be getting it tomorrow. Promptly canceled my orders from Amazon and B&H. Impressive that less than 2.5 weeks after formal announcement to delivery. Can't wait.

Sep 26, 2013 at 04:27 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Congrats on being one of the first recipients of the E-M1! This is very exciting. So ... have you got it already and what are your first impressions?

I would be lucky if mine ships in early October. Ordered mine on Sept 11 with Adorama. I went with Adorama because of the 2% cash back from Top Cashback. 2% cash back is better than no discount.

I was also given to understand that Olympus is looking into giving a $200 rebate to those who ordered the E-M1 and 12-40 lens at the same time. Yay!

TMaG82 wrote:
Got a call from Olympus confirming my shipping and billing address. Ordered the body and free adapter, rep said it was in stock and Ill be getting it tomorrow. Promptly canceled my orders from Amazon and B&H. Impressive that less than 2.5 weeks after formal announcement to delivery. Can't wait.

Sep 27, 2013 at 06:10 PM
Atlasman2
• •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

snapsy wrote:
I would normally agree but for this lens I found the OM-D's IBIS superior to the IS on the 100-300. It was close but I got a few more keepers with IBIS.

I own both the E-M5 and the 100-300mm and concur: IBIS is superior to the in-lens of the Panasonic.

This short video was captured a few days ago through a screened window. I had never seen this type of bird in our neighbourhood before and I was fortunate to have the time to grab the camera, fit the lens on, and then brace myself against the wall to get the footage.

http://youtu.be/QXQcApfEw-U

Sep 27, 2013 at 06:45 PM
TMaG82
• • •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

bobbytan wrote:
Congrats on being one of the first recipients of the E-M1! This is very exciting. So ... have you got it already and what are your first impressions?

I would be lucky if mine ships in early October. Ordered mine on Sept 11 with Adorama. I went with Adorama because of the 2% cash back from Top Cashback. 2% cash back is better than no discount.

I was also given to understand that Olympus is looking into giving a $200 rebate to those who ordered the E-M1 and 12-40 lens at the same time. Yay!

Just got it delivered. Stuck at work, but took it out of the box quickly, didn't have a lens with me, but overall weight/feel is just right. I didn't have a problem using the E-M5 without the grip like some people but this just feels more natural. I'll post some pictures tonight.

Sep 27, 2013 at 07:40 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

I paid $300 just to have the horizontal grip, and I have to take the grip off each time I need to change battery which is a royal PITA. So I am thrilled that the E-M1 comes with a substantial integrated grip and changing batteries is a breeze. The grip, the VF4-quality viewfinder, and the improved ergonomics makes it a worthwhile upgrade for me. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

TMaG82 wrote:
Just got it delivered. Stuck at work, but took it out of the box quickly, didn't have a lens with me, but overall weight/feel is just right. I didn't have a problem using the E-M5 without the grip like some people but this just feels more natural. I'll post some pictures tonight.

Sep 27, 2013 at 08:37 PM
jforkner
• •
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Let's hear it for the first-adopters. Will you guys please get any bugs sorted out quickly?

Jack

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:50 PM
TMaG82
• • •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Here are my very quick thoughts on it (got it delivered at work, had to do grocery shopping before putting my daughter to bed). Will take some more pictures, compared them to a E-M5 this weekend, and post some samples. Mind you I no longer have the E-M5 in my possession, so it won't be a side to side review, but just my thoughts on the images.

- Presentation is very nice. Not NEX-7 unboxing nice, but the box, the way it's laid out, etc, is very nice.
- I wear S/M size gloves and the grip is very nice. I never had the HLD-6 with the E-M5, but it feels comfortable. I could see people who have larger hands having their pinky finger hang off the bottom though. I'm sure the additional $199 grip could solve that, but I have no intention of getting the grip, at least not yet.
- Menus are classic E-M5 style. Some hate them, some love them. I'm mixed.
- Buttons are 100% improved, much better than the E-M5. No longer squishy, and no longer hard to press like the Fn1 and playback on the E-M5.
- On/Off switch is slightly worse on the E-M1, personally I didn't mind the placement on the E-M5, but if this is the biggest issue I have with build wise, then it's acceptable.
- At first I had trouble getting the rear LCD to display the image, figured it out by pressing the LV button on the side near the viewfinder.
- Viewfinder is amazing. If you had a chance to use the VF-4, it'll still amaze you. If you haven't and only used the E-M5, you may never want to go back to a lesser EVF. Even in low light, it's still good, unlike the Fuji XE-1 which is laggy to behind with and almost un-useable in low light.
- Rear LCD clearly shows the improved resolution. Much clearer than the E-M5, as well it should with the bump up in resolution.
- SCP is turned off by default, took me a few minutes to re-figure out how to switch it on.
- I reversed how the 2x2 works, switching ISO to the rear dial, which is mode 2. At least for me I find the rear dial easier to manuever than the front dial, maybe my short fingers.
- The addition of the HDR/Shooting mode is GREAT. No more having to dig through multiple pages just to bracket. I recall having to press around 12 buttons to do a 5 image bracket with the E-M5, now I just have to press the HDR button and scroll.
- I setup the top front Fn button to magnify, the record button to enable peaking, and the AEL/AFL to trigger MF. This is easy for me to use. Maybe I didn't setup my E-M5 correctly but whenever I used S-AF+MF it would always magnify the image, now with this current setup that I have I can have peaking, use MF, and if I want to magnify the image.
- Similar to the EP-5 though, using peaking slows down the frame rate noticeably. Not a huge negative to me, but seeing how other manufacturers can have peaking without the slowdown is a little disappointing.
- What's even more disappointing though is that using the art filters have no slowdown. I myself don't use the art filters but my wife does. She also likes that the Photo Story Mode is included which she liked to use on the E-P5. Why is this disappointing? Because using the art filters on the E-M5 slowed down the frame rate. But not on the E-M1. So if they can eliminate the slowdown when using art filters, I wonder why they can't when using peaking.
- Peaking have white/black which is nice.
- Strap lugs still annoy me, I'm going to remove them as soon as I can.
- The mode dial lock have a very noticeable click to it, which I like.
- S-AF seems about the same on the E-M1 as the E-M5.
- Smaller AF boxes is a nice addition.
- Right now I only have the Panasonic Leica 25 f/1.4 as a native m4/3 lens since I sold the others. I will be getting the 12-35 and the 35-100 to hold me over until the Oly Pros comes out. The 25 still does have the noisy focusing, I believe they call it rattlesnaking sound if I'm not mistaken.
- I did get the MMF-3 adapter and picked up the 35 macro for super cheap on eBay. I can't compare AF speeds to the E-M5 since I never used 4/3 glass on it and from my experience macro lenses tended to AF slower, but it is reasonable in terms of AF. It does hunt and does have a louder than expected mechanical whirring sound. But again since I never used this lens on the E-M5 nor a 4/3 body I can't comment on improvements or not.

All in all I think a big improvement. If you really like the E-M5 I could see you skipping this and holding out for a E-M5 replacement. For me some reasons why I upgraded was because of the improved build (including better buttons). I wanted a beefy grip that I didn't have to remove to replace the battery. I used the E-P5 for about a week and loved the VF-4 but didn't like that it was not fixed. I liked the E-M5 EVF and rear LCD, but the E-M1 is 100% better. I like the native implementation of the peaking and like the expanded time lapse features which I think I'll use (999 shots as opposed to 99 shots on the E-P5).

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:55 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password