Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              15       16       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

ibd12c
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Iliang,

Thanks... Yes, that solves the issue as long as there's a remote cable. I liked (with canon) that I didn't have to carry one. The timer mode would fire off a complete bracketed sequence. If bracketing was enabled, and you had the 2 second (or 10sec) timer enabled, one push of the shutter would begin the timer countdown, and when it was up, the camera fired all the bracket shots. So no need for a remote.

But, I never thought to try burst mode because I always shoot single shot.. so thanks! Not sure why that didn't come to me before.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM
folivier
• •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Can you assign one of the back buttons for your thumb for focusing?
Looks like the e-m1 is what I've been waiting for to trade from my 5DII. Look for my Canon system to be for sale in a couple months.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:04 PM
ibd12c
• •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

folivier wrote:
Can you assign one of the back buttons for your thumb for focusing?
Looks like the e-m1 is what I've been waiting for to trade from my 5DII. Look for my Canon system to be for sale in a couple months.

On the E-M5 I have the FN-1 assigned for focusing. It's a tiny button in a hard to reach place for me.... but it looks like the new placement of the FN-1 button on the corner of the E-M1 will be perfect for that role!

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

It appears that you can assign the BKT function to any assignable button, but once it's activated you still need to shoot three exposures manually.

You can also turn on the HDR bracketing options with the Burst/Timer/HDR button on the left, but there are only set EVs and number of frames to choose from. These DO shoot multiple frames with a single shutter press.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:58 PM
ibd12c
• •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

deadwolfbones wrote:
It appears that you can assign the BKT function to any assignable button, but once it's activated you still need to shoot three exposures manually.

You can also turn on the HDR bracketing options with the Burst/Timer/HDR button on the left, but there are only set EVs and number of frames to choose from. These DO shoot multiple frames with a single shutter press.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully the latter option will include something standard like 5 shots at +-1 stop.

Sep 11, 2013 at 04:01 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Wrong! B&H had accepted my pre-order for the kit but promptly canceled it this morning! Darn. So I went to Adorama and placed my order for the body and lens (separately) via Top Cashback - so I get a 2% cash back.

bobbytan wrote:
You can pre-order the body and lens for $2,199 from B&H but you have to call them. I did that this morning.

Sep 11, 2013 at 05:40 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

curious80 wrote:
I find it hard to believe that Olympus could get DSLR-level PDAF using only 37 AF pixels when Canon 70D has every sensor pixel as an AF pixel and yet doesn't match DSLR-level PDAF

Because it's 37 AF points, not 37 AF pixels. Spec list error.

Only real downside is that like all other current on-sensor PDAF solutions the sensors are horizontal linear sensors only, no vertical or cross type sensors.

Sep 11, 2013 at 06:03 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

ibd12c wrote:
Thanks for the info. Hopefully the latter option will include something standard like 5 shots at +-1 stop.

HDR bracketing will accomplish this. Just set how you want the exposures to occur, I set for 5 and +- 1EV.

Sep 11, 2013 at 06:52 PM
ibd12c
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

That seals the deal for me!

Sep 11, 2013 at 07:12 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

For those that are interested, the instruction manual has surfaced already.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/E-M1_MANUAL_EN.pdf

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:08 PM
ibd12c
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Thanks TM...

Okay, one more question for anyone who has one in hand (or had one)...

Does the Panasonic 7-14 flare as badly on the E-M1 as it does on the E-M5? I really want the 7-14, but I shoot a lot of night shots that are going to be a nightmare if the blobs are still there.

Edited on Sep 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM · View previous versions

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

bobbytan wrote:
Continuous AF is better than in any other MFT camera and matches the best DSLR performance.

Too funny. Does anyone actually believe that

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Imagemaster wrote:

I don't believe it myself.

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

ibd12c wrote:
Thanks TM...

Does the Panasonic 7-14 flare as badly on the E-M1 as it does on the E-M5? I really want the 7-14, but I shoot a lot of night shots that are going to be a nightmare if the blogs are still there.

I would wait for the Olympus 7-14 PRO.

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM
ibd12c
• •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

FlyPenFly wrote:
I would wait for the Olympus 7-14 PRO.

Yeah, or I would absolutely love to wait for the 7mm 2.8 PRO.

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

ibd12c wrote:
Yeah, or I would absolutely love to wait for the 7mm 2.8 PRO.

Yes ... I definitely would want to replace my Panny 7-14 with the Olympus "PRO" version, which I am sure will have less CA and flare problems. Meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy taking pictures with the 7-14. In spite of the issues, it's still a very good lens with corner-to-corner sharpness, even wide open. You just have to know when and how to avoid those nasty purple blobs, CA and flare e.g. avoid shooting with the sun in the frame.

Most of these images here, especially the lower half of the folder, were shot with the 7-14 lens:

http://yinyang.zenfolio.com/p499365997

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Sagar
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/terakopian/sets/72157635476408572/

Here are some EM1+12-40 samples (not mine)

Sep 12, 2013 at 03:58 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Imagemaster wrote:

I believe the first postulation (better AF-C than any other m43 camera), I believe the second one only if it's to the same standard as the E-3/12-60SWD having best AF performance of any camera at the time of introduction (which was a flagrant lie, even with Oly's weasel words, it wasn't even best in class, with the A700+70-200SSM beating it on centre point AF-S as per Oly's weasel words and the D300+any pro AF-S lens beating it under every other situation).

Sep 12, 2013 at 05:28 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

ibd12c wrote:
Thanks TM...

Does the Panasonic 7-14 flare as badly on the E-M1 as it does on the E-M5? I really want the 7-14, but I shoot a lot of night shots that are going to be a nightmare if the blobs are still there.

Maybe I'm naive, but why would the camera body/sensor reduce flare from a lens? I have the Zuiko 7-14 on my E-620 and any flare seems to come from the light refracting thru the bulbous front glass on the lens. I can't see how a different body would reduce the effect. Not pointing the lens toward the sun, yes; but a different body/sensor, not so sure.

Jack

Sep 12, 2013 at 07:28 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

jforkner wrote:
Maybe I'm naive, but why would the camera body/sensor reduce flare from a lens? I have the Zuiko 7-14 on my E-620 and any flare seems to come from the light refracting thru the bulbous front glass on the lens. I can't see how a different body would reduce the effect. Not pointing the lens toward the sun, yes; but a different body/sensor, not so sure.

Jack

There is a sensor/lens interaction issue specific to the E-M5 and G Vario 7-14/4 which results in ugly blue/purple flare in some situations. It's related to the sensor toppings of the E-M5 and does not occur with Panasonic bodies, or other Olympus bodies except possibly the E-P5 (the E-PL5/6 and E-PM2 are thought to have cheaper sensor toppings and seem to be immune as a result)

Sep 12, 2013 at 07:39 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.