Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              15       16       end

Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

bobbytan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

itai195 wrote:
Is there actual proof that continuos AF tracking is as good as any DSLR? We've been promised major improvements in that area before.

Maybe I'm getting jaded, but while the improvements in this camera are nice, I just can't see calling it almost a totally different camera from the E-M5.

Sorry, no hard proof ... just what 43 Rumors had reported earlier this morning or yesterday:

- The E-M1 has adaptive sharpening optimization (works for every Olympus MFT and FT lens)
- Continuous AF is better than in any other MFT camera and matches the best DSLR performance
- EVF automatically adjusts the brightness
- The E-M1 is more weathersealed than the Olympus E-5
- 12-40mm PRO lens has better performance than the 12-60mm FT lens.
- Olympus will offer a PRO Service package for E-M1 owners (for example access to a hotline number)
First image samples by Ming Thein on Flicr (part one and part two).

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:21 PM
mawz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Jochenb wrote:
I'm afraid this is too optimistic. It's certainly a step in the right direction, but not as good as a (semi) pro DSLR. Some reviewers already mentioned it. Not terrible but also not great.

The reviews are indicating that it is as good as some semi-pro DSLR's (D200 or E-5, likely comparable to the K-5 as well), but not in the same class as a D300s or 7D, which is pretty much what I was expecting. Oly never made a DSLR with D300/7D-class AF-C, I'm not expecting their first PDAF-capable mirrorless to be in that class either.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:22 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.4 #3 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

I'll try and test the tracking AF tomorrow morning when I get back to the office. Will let you guys know what I discover.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:22 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

itai195 wrote:
Is there actual proof that continuos AF tracking is as good as any DSLR? We've been promised major improvements in that area before.

Maybe I'm getting jaded, but while the improvements in this camera are nice, I just can't see calling it almost a totally different camera from the E-M5.

User reports from Ming Thein & Pekka Potka are indicating that there is AF-C performance comparable to high-end Amateur cameras, or older semi-pro (D200/E-5 class). Which is pretty reasonable considering Oly's previous attempts at fast AF-C (on the E-3/30/5 bodies).

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

deadwolfbones wrote:
I'll try and test the tracking AF tomorrow morning when I get back to the office. Will let you guys know what I discover.

You have a copy of the E-M1 in your hands?

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.4 #6 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

When folks say AF-C or continuous tracking. What are they really referring to?

Can the Em-1 track a Bird in Flight as well as say a D200? Having seen previous iterations of these devices... I'll take any such claim with a huge grain of salt.

If I'm wrong.. then kudos to the m43 system.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.4 #7 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Not sure what that means in terms of AF performance
But there's a member called Morris in the nature/wildlife forum who regularly posts some amazing B.I.F. photos taken with a D200, so it cant be too bad

Sep 11, 2013 at 01:12 AM
CalW
• • •
p.4 #8 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

It takes years of experience to learn the skills needed take "amazing BIF photos." So until someone with those skills gets one of these cameras with at least a 150mm, or preferably a 90-250mm or a 300mm, SHG four thirds lens in their hands, we are all speculating...

Edited on Sep 11, 2013 at 01:43 AM · View previous versions

Sep 11, 2013 at 01:39 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.4 #9 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

of course we are, its a forum.

Sep 11, 2013 at 01:43 AM
CalW
• • •
p.4 #10 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Yup. Talk is cheap - those lenses ain't

Sep 11, 2013 at 01:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mawz
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

vchowdhary wrote:
When folks say AF-C or continuous tracking. What are they really referring to?

Can the Em-1 track a Bird in Flight as well as say a D200? Having seen previous iterations of these devices... I'll take any such claim with a huge grain of salt.

If I'm wrong.. then kudos to the m43 system.

Pekka Potka did some tests in that vein, using a 150/2 and an Oly 1.4 TC. He indicated acceptable performance. Which is expected since it is PDAF and giving PDAF performance (unlike what Sony does with on-sensor PDAF which is just an assist to the CDAF system. Oly is doing the opposite with AF-C and 4/3rds AF-S, using PDAF with CDAF assist. I'd expect they are using the CDAF assist to facilitate subject tracking, similar to what Nikon does with their metering system assisting AF subject tracking)

Reportedly you get decent performance in AF-C as long as you keep the subject in the PDAF zone, get outside that zone and you drop back to CDAF and the performance tanks (this does remain an advantage, as on a DSLR you get no AF outside the PDAF zone, but a slight one as CDAF AF-C is slower than most manual focus users).

Sep 11, 2013 at 01:57 AM
IDURITA
• • •
p.4 #12 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

It feels as if those "GLORIOUS TIMES" of OM-1, OM-2, OM-3 and OM-4, are back again. Looking at the qualities of this camera the "tradition" and the "legacy" of OM is continuing.
I only hope, that Olympus can emerge from their obvious financial difficulties. I wait a few months, but then I will get one these OM-D EM-1.

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:10 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.4 #13 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

bobbytan wrote:
You have a copy of the E-M1 in your hands?

Not at the moment, but there's one in the office.

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:22 AM
curious80
• • •
p.4 #14 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

I find it hard to believe that Olympus could get DSLR-level PDAF using only 37 AF pixels when Canon 70D has every sensor pixel as an AF pixel and yet doesn't match DSLR-level PDAF

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:46 AM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

I think what Olympus had done with the OM Series and what they are doing today with the OM-D, plus their solid reputation in optics should make them more valuable and desirable than Minolta was. So I am sure someone like Sony or Panasonic would be very interested in buying the camera/photo/optical division of the company if they should have the opportunity ... so the OM-D/camera division should survive this crisis.

IDURITA wrote:
It feels as if those "GLORIOUS TIMES" of OM-1, OM-2, OM-3 and OM-4, are back again. Looking at the qualities of this camera the "tradition" and the "legacy" of OM is continuing.
I only hope, that Olympus can emerge from their obvious financial difficulties. I wait a few months, but then I will get one these OM-D EM-1.

Sep 11, 2013 at 03:33 AM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Awesome lens road map from Olympus, including a 150-350mm super-telephoto ... wow!

Sep 11, 2013 at 06:49 AM
IDURITA
• • •
p.4 #17 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

I have posted this image on January 14, 2005, on fredmiranda.com.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/939955/6

"I had a dream" that time - which finally came true.

Honestly, I was hoping for a Full Frame Digital OM, but not 4/3.

But the E-M1 came out more beautiful than I could ever imagined.

Sep 11, 2013 at 08:55 AM
ibd12c
• •
p.4 #18 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

If someone that is testing or has handled the E-M1 could answer a question. I absolutely hate that with the E-M5, theres no way fire a bracketed sequence off without physically pushing the button 3, 5, or 7 times... remote or shutter. (unless I've missed something).

With my Canons, I could engage Auto Bracketing, set the timer to 2s, and the camera would fire 3 shots in a row at -1,0,+1 or whatever.

Does the E-M1 have some kind of ability to bracket shoot with one push of a button?

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM
TMaG82
• •
p.4 #19 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

ibd12c wrote:
If someone that is testing or has handled the E-M1 could answer a question. I absolutely hate that with the E-M5, theres no way fire a bracketed sequence off without physically pushing the button 3, 5, or 7 times... remote or shutter. (unless I've missed something).

With my Canons, I could engage Auto Bracketing, set the timer to 2s, and the camera would fire 3 shots in a row at -1,0,+1 or whatever.

Does the E-M1 have some kind of ability to bracket shoot with one push of a button?

If it's like the E-P5, you can assign bracketing to a specific button. I had HDR bracketing assigned to the record button and a simple press of the button would toggle into continuous shooting with your selected bracketing.

I would think that the HDR button on the E-M1 would allow something similar. I agree that's one thing I dislike about the E-M5, having to press about 10 different buttons to toggle 5 bracketed shots and then trigger continuous shooting.

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:36 PM
Iliang

p.4 #20 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

ibd12c wrote:

I also have an E-M5. I place the shutter release into 9 fps burst mode and set HDR bracketing to either 3 or 5 frames. Then I just press and hold the shutter button and the camera will rapidly take the 3 or 5 frames and stop. I've also done the same with both a wired and wireless remote. Is this what you want to do?

Sep 11, 2013 at 02:49 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password