Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              15       16       end

Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

B&H used to say Oct. 4th...sounds like their initial shipement has been sold out....

Sep 10, 2013 at 05:15 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

TMaG82 wrote:
Couldn't find a bundle either. If one does come out then I'll re-order, otherwise I'll just keep my existing order.

You can pre-order the body and lens for $2,199 from B&H but you have to call them. I did that this morning.

Sep 10, 2013 at 05:37 PM
itai195
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

The two new lenses are the real story here for me. Very eager to hear how they perform. The E-M1 looks okay, but not really my cup of tea (expensive, large, not much new over the E-M5 IMO).

Sep 10, 2013 at 05:48 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.3 #4 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

itai195 wrote:
The E-M1 looks okay, but not really my cup of tea (expensive, large, not much new over the E-M5 IMO).

The viewfinder is much better in the E-M1. For me, this alone will be worth the upgrade.

Sep 10, 2013 at 06:01 PM
TMaG82
• •
p.3 #5 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

bobbytan wrote:
You can pre-order the body and lens for $2,199 from B&H but you have to call them. I did that this morning.

I wonder if I can just call/email them to adjust the pricing on my existing pre-order.

Sep 10, 2013 at 06:19 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.3 #6 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

TMaG82 wrote:
I wonder if I can just call/email them to adjust the pricing on my existing pre-order.

I would call B&H Customer Service; they should be able to make some kind of adjustment to the order.

Rich

Sep 10, 2013 at 06:21 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Sorry to report that Bloomberg are quoting Nikkei to the effect that "Olympus will stop SLR development". Could this be their swan song?

Sep 10, 2013 at 07:31 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.3 #8 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Stop their 4/3rd.

philber wrote:
Sorry to report that Bloomberg are quoting Nikkei to the effect that "Olympus will stop SLR development". Could this be their swan song?

Sep 10, 2013 at 07:37 PM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.3 #9 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

philber wrote:

m4/3rds is not an SLR system.

I doubt they will ever produce another 4/3rds lens, and I think it's been a good few years since they made a new body.

Sep 10, 2013 at 07:38 PM
TMaG82
• •
p.3 #10 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

naturephoto1 wrote:
I would call B&H Customer Service; they should be able to make some kind of adjustment to the order.

Rich

Called and emailed B&H and denied on both. Their response.

"Hello XXX, my name is XXX:

Thank you for contacting the Customer Service Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

An automated B&H Newsletter which was sent our earlier today had the same pricing as you received on your order. There is no bundle pricing available for the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera and 12-40mm Pro Lenes.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Have a wonderful day, we appreciate your business. "

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kewlcanon
• • • •
p.3 #11 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

What a bummer...

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:36 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.3 #12 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Used the E-M1 a bunch more this morning. AF is very accurate/responsive, the EVF is a huuuuuuuge improvement, shutter button feels great, shutter sound is awesome (a very precise little *snick!*), grip feels excellent. The dials and buttons are a huge improvement operationally, though a few of them look a little cheap. That's just a stylistic design issue, though, nothing to do with functionality.

In short, I want one.

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:09 PM
andrewd01
• • •
p.3 #13 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

I see that the US price is $1399 and the UK price is GBP1299 ($2040). Even accounting for the fact that US prices are quoted ex-tax, if I add 20% tax to the US price, Olympus is still gouging UK customers to the tune of $300.

Thieving bastards. It's about time camera manufacturers adopted a global pricing model instead of trying to milk each country based on what they think they can get away with. We all see the US prices and it is not a good look when they blatantly take the piss in other countries. Apple used to do the same, but now their prices are pretty much the same globally once you factor in local currency and taxes.

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:35 PM
TMaG82
• •
p.3 #14 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Found out that there are two options. If you get the body by itself for $1,399 you can get the MMF-3 or the flash for free ($179 value). But if you find a retailer that will discount as a bundle ($2,199) at least for the few retailers in the US that will discount it, you DO NOT get the free accessory. So it's pretty much a wash if you end up getting the body only with the accessory and the lens later. Plus retailers have told me that the kit is not shipping until December. So it may be worth it to get the body first in October, order the lens seperately and hope that it ships earlier than December. That's provided that you could take advantage of the free adapter or flash.

Myself I'm going to go for the body with the free adapter and order the lens separately. My concern is that it seems the adapter is free by way of mail in rebate. But because we're unsure of when the body will ship, I don't want to end up with an adapter being shipped right away and a body coming in a few weeks.

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:58 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

I'm interested, but budget means I'll be waiting a while before I can get it. The integrated grip, better EVF and proper 4/3rds AF support are the killer features for me.

The 12-40's much lower on my list since I've already got an HG 14-54 II. I'll wait and see if there's enough extra performance to give up the extra reach (and low cost) of the HG lens. Ditto the 40-150 vs the HG 50-200 SWD.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

I'm really interested in the 40-150 as I have the 12-35 already and will see if the Oly 12-40/2.8 is any better (other than 5mm more range). The Pany 35-100/2.8 is just an OK lens (at least the copy I tried) and I hope the 40-150 is significantly better. Otherwise it will be the Oly 75/1.8 + the future 150/2.8 Panasonic for me . . .

The EM-1/EM-5 line still does not have a built-in flash, which for what I do that's a serious downside so I'll be sticking to my GH-2 or the GX7 in the near future.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

surf monkey wrote:
The viewfinder is much better in the E-M1. For me, this alone will be worth the upgrade.

The VF is a major upgrade ... and the PDAF/CDAF is a huge step forward as continuous AF tracking is now as good as any DSLR. The pro body has better weather-sealing and is freeze-proof. The buttons are bigger and easier to use. The grip is nice and big so you don't have to invest on a grip. IBIS is improved. Noise and DR is approx 1 stop better. And you have auto HDR plus lots of other upgrades and features that are not on the E-M5. It's almost a totally different camera to the E-M5 and totally lives up to its "pro" label.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.3 #18 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

bobbytan wrote:
and the PDAF/CDAF is a huge step forward as continuous AF tracking is now as good as any DSLR.

I'm afraid this is too optimistic. It's certainly a step in the right direction, but not as good as a (semi) pro DSLR. Some reviewers already mentioned it. Not terrible but also not great.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:01 PM
itai195
• • •
p.3 #19 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Is there actual proof that continuous AF tracking is as good as any DSLR? We've been promised major improvements in that area before.

Maybe I'm getting jaded, but while the improvements in this camera are pretty nice, I just can't see calling it almost a totally different camera from the E-M5 for me.

Edited on Sep 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM · View previous versions

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM
jforkner
• •
p.3 #20 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Has anyone found any high-ISO images of the night sky from this camera? And/or downloadable RAW images of the same?

I've seen high-ISO images, but not of the night sky.

Jack

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password