Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              14      
15
       16       end
  

Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!
  
 
deang001
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #1 · p.15 #1 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


For those of you who already have the camera, is it possible to assign one of the dials to ISO and having the other assigned to aperture? If so, do you see an instant read out of the corresponding shutter speed while adjusting ISO?

Kind of like "easy-iso" in the Nikons?



Oct 17, 2013 at 11:11 PM
bcaslis
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #2 · p.15 #2 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


By default in Aperture mode, switching the 1/2 switch will change the main dial to ISO. When you change the ISO, yes you do see the shutter speed change.

The 1/2 switch is pretty neat. The two main dial have their functions effectively doubled and you can optionally have this affect the two button on the top where the power switch is change also. Very nice once you get used to it.



Oct 18, 2013 at 05:41 AM
Tom Conte
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #3 · p.15 #3 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


KaaX wrote:
That actually *is* a pretty bad thing.

The promise of the m3/4 systems is that the LENSES will be considerably smaller than the full-frame ones. If they are not, well, bodies are converging to similar sizes and a FF sensor will beat a m3/4 sensor any time.



Apples and oranges; the Olympus 40-150 PRO is a constant aperture f/2.8 lens.




Oct 18, 2013 at 06:03 AM
deang001
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #4 · p.15 #4 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


bcaslis wrote:
By default in Aperture mode, switching the 1/2 switch will change the main dial to ISO. When you change the ISO, yes you do see the shutter speed change.

The 1/2 switch is pretty neat. The two main dial have their functions effectively doubled and you can optionally have this affect the two button on the top where the power switch is change also. Very nice once you get used to it.


That's good to know ... thanks, but just confirming that when the first dial is used to control ISO, the second can be used to control aperture ... correct? I was under the assumption it had to be used for WB or something but I must of had this wrong. Having an instant read out of the corresponding shutter speed makes life very easy to try and judge how slow you can shoot with the IS engaged. I wish it worked this way on my GH3 !!

So in essence, you can control the E-M1 as you would a Nikon with "Easy ISO". Excellent stuff.



Oct 18, 2013 at 09:30 AM
bcaslis
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #5 · p.15 #5 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


Close but not exactly. Yes when you change ISO you see shutter and aperture changes reflected. Yes, you can change ISO without pushing another button.

But by default in Aperture mode, the two dials control aperture and exposure compensation. Then I flick the 1/2 switch to the 2 position and the two dials control white balance and ISO. I can change which dial does which but I don't think there is a way to assign the two dials to ISO and aperture at the same time. There are limits to the customization.

Still, once you get used to it, you might like it better than the Nikon method. I find it pretty useful, you get used to two main dials and couple of buttons then with the 1/2 switch you can switch the functions to a complete different set. I like the setup and it works very well for a smaller body than a DSLR.



Oct 18, 2013 at 02:03 PM
Steve Spencer
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #6 · p.15 #6 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


KaaX wrote:
That actually *is* a pretty bad thing.

The promise of the m3/4 systems is that the LENSES will be considerably smaller than the full-frame ones. If they are not, well, bodies are converging to similar sizes and a FF sensor will beat a m3/4 sensor any time.



I guess I will just have to disagree. That promise of m4/3rds in my view doesn't hold up. Yes, m4/3rds often have smaller lenses, but largely because they have much less capability for shallow depth of field. That is a fine trade off, but one shouldn't act as if the smaller lenses come at no cost. One should also acknowledge that slower lenses from larger formats that have the same imaging capabilities (i.e., the same angle of view, same depth of field capabilities) will be quite similar in size to the m4/3rds lenses. Does that mean m4/3rds is inferior? Not in my view. The small sensor has other distinct advantages. First, for a camera with the same capabilities the m4/3rds camera will be a lot cheaper. It will also allow easier use of AF throughout the sensor image. It will make it easier to design lenses that are sharp across the sensor and this will result in cheaper lenses of the same quality (at least if you stay with the types of lenses that have typically been made for m4/3rds (f/1.8 to f/2.8 for primes and f/2.8 to f/5.6 for zooms). So yes, m4/3rds has its advantages, but the small lenses are a trade off and one that could be replicated by larger format lenses.



Oct 18, 2013 at 02:50 PM
Steve Spencer
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #7 · p.15 #7 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


carstenw wrote:
Well, comparing depth of field is all well and fine, but the Oly lens still has the light-gathering ability of f/2.8, letting you get a sharp shot in darker conditions. And it is a pro build lens, not consumer plastic, like the Canon.


Carsten you should know better. Sure the Oly lens will have more light gathering ability than a Canon lens shot at f/5.6 on a Canon sensor (at least right now), but that is because of the weakness of the Canon sensor. If it was shot on the new 36 megapixel Sony FF, it would have the same light gathering capabilities because you could just turn up the ISO on the Sony. Light gathering will always be partially a function of the sensor, but when comparing lenses, in my view, it is better to compare how much light they transmit to a potential sensor and because a lens that has a FF image circle projects light across a much larger area a FF lens at f/5.6 projects about the same amount of light onto a FF image circle as a m4/3rds lens projects onto a m4/3rds image circle.

Oh, and note I said the 70-300 f/4.5-5.6L IS, which is not a consumer plastic lens. It is a pro lens as well with about the same build quality as the Oly.



Oct 18, 2013 at 02:57 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #8 · p.15 #8 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


Ah, you mean that re-packaged lens I forgot that existed.

Steve, at f/2.8 you can get a sharp shot that you can't get at f/5.6, if you are already at high ISO (can't boost it). AF also tends to work much faster at f/2.8 than at f/5.6.

You are focusing too much on image quality when you compare. There is a flip-side.



Oct 18, 2013 at 04:27 PM
deang001
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #9 · p.15 #9 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


bcaslis wrote:
Close but not exactly. Yes when you change ISO you see shutter and aperture changes reflected. Yes, you can change ISO without pushing another button.

But by default in Aperture mode, the two dials control aperture and exposure compensation. Then I flick the 1/2 switch to the 2 position and the two dials control white balance and ISO. I can change which dial does which but I don't think there is a way to assign the two dials to ISO and aperture at the same time. There are limits to the customization.

Still, once you get used to it, you might like
...Show more


OK, thanks. Get's close as you say and looks pretty workable.



Oct 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM
vchowdhary
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #10 · p.15 #10 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


Iso control is pretty simple.
Flip the switch near thumb, front dial changes iso flip back to regular function to change aperture etc



Oct 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



vchowdhary
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #11 · p.15 #11 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


One issue that I saw in the Em5 and now in the em1.

When using the art filters, the frame rate in evf drops significantly.
But now I see the same issue when using the peaking function.

Never had such a problem when using Sony Nex series cameras with peaking.



Oct 19, 2013 at 02:41 AM
fsiagian
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #12 · p.15 #12 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


For those who have received the camera, pictures please? I know most discussions are about handling, but IQ is equally important no?


Oct 20, 2013 at 04:52 AM
Ned Bagno
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #13 · p.15 #13 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


fsiagian wrote:
For those who have received the camera, pictures please? I know most discussions are about handling, but IQ is equally important no?


Here is a shot with the EM-1, Zuiko 300mmf2.8 and EC20 Teleconverter (2x)






  E-M1    OLYMPUS 300mm Lens lens    600mm    f/6.3    1/1000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  




Oct 20, 2013 at 05:12 AM
fsiagian
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #14 · p.15 #14 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


Uups it may cost me $750. Originally thinking about buying a used E-m5 to replace my E-PL2

Beautiful, thanks.



Oct 20, 2013 at 05:41 AM
bcaslis
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #15 · p.15 #15 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


OOC JPEGs (Lightroom 5.2 support is preliminary and has some problems with the E-M1)


First Walk #5 (JPEG) by bcaslis, on Flickr


First Walk #17 (JPEG) by bcaslis, on Flickr


Acorns on metal by bcaslis, on Flickr


Leaf walk4 #5 by bcaslis, on Flickr


Yellow leaf macro by bcaslis, on Flickr



Oct 20, 2013 at 06:45 PM
DougVaughn
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #16 · p.15 #16 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


Well darn... after waiting for my backordered E-M1, I placed an order with another vendor who it seemed would have stock in about 10 days (that was a week ago). Today, both ended up shipping on the same day. Now I have the hassle of returning one unopened. Lesson learned.

If anyone is in the Nashville area and waiting on a pre-order, I'd be willing to sell it for what I paid. I know I could list it in buy & sell here, but I wouldn't want to cover PayPal plus shipping. Probably easier to return.

On the plus side... I should have my camera for the weekend! Looking forward to it.



Oct 22, 2013 at 11:39 PM
cputeq
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #17 · p.15 #17 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


Great set bcaslis. I'm trying to decide if I really want to move back to m43 -- right now I've got a GX1 and an incoming 20mm, but that's it....GX7 looks nice, but so does this EM1. Dunno if I want to pay so much for the EM1, though -- $1400 is stretching it.



Oct 23, 2013 at 12:18 AM
JustinZ850
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #18 · p.15 #18 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


Looks like I will have to cancel my preorder before I leave the country for 3 months. I was hoping it would ship, but doesn't look like it!


Oct 23, 2013 at 12:47 AM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #19 · p.15 #19 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


Great deal on the GX7 right now:

http://www.43rumors.com/category/deals/

cputeq wrote:
Great set bcaslis. I'm trying to decide if I really want to move back to m43 -- right now I've got a GX1 and an incoming 20mm, but that's it....GX7 looks nice, but so does this EM1. Dunno if I want to pay so much for the EM1, though -- $1400 is stretching it.



Oct 23, 2013 at 01:55 AM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #20 · p.15 #20 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!


Maybe you can sell one to JustinZ850.

DougVaughn wrote:
Well darn... after waiting for my backordered E-M1, I placed an order with another vendor who it seemed would have stock in about 10 days (that was a week ago). Today, both ended up shipping on the same day. Now I have the hassle of returning one unopened. Lesson learned.

If anyone is in the Nashville area and waiting on a pre-order, I'd be willing to sell it for what I paid. I know I could list it in buy & sell here, but I wouldn't want to cover PayPal plus shipping. Probably easier to return.

On the plus side... I should
...Show more



Oct 23, 2013 at 01:57 AM
1       2       3              14      
15
       16       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              14      
15
       16       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password