Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       12              15       16       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Atlasman2
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

I'm hoping to get my E-M1 soon, I too opted for the MMF-3 adapter. I'm curious to see how my Panasonic D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f2.8-3.5 will perform.

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM
cocosphere
• •
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Congrats to those getting their cameras. I'm still waiting for Adorama to update my order status. In the meantime, I'm interested to know whether the EM1 is less effected by shutter shock. I have my EM-5 set to 1/4 second anti shock and it would be great to be able to reduce or eliminate the shutter lag and maintain sharp images handheld.

Sep 28, 2013 at 01:19 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

I've been told by RRS that they will design new plates for the E-M1 as soon as they receive their copy. Can't wait to get a nice L-plate for this camera.

Sep 28, 2013 at 03:54 PM
TMaG82
• • •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

bobbytan wrote:
I've been told by RRS that they will design new plates for the E-M1 as soon as they receive their copy. Can't wait to get a nice L-plate for this camera.

That's great news. I inquired about the E-P5 having a L-plate and they responded that due to no demand for it, they would not be making one. My Gitzo + RRS25 head are just waiting for a L-plate for this.

Sep 28, 2013 at 05:29 PM
jforkner
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

FWIW. I use an RRS MC-L, Multi-Camera L-Plate, on my E-620. From the best I can determine by measuring life-size images of both cameras (@ camerasize.com), this plate will work fine. Both cameras appear to be very close in size.

Jack

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Note the rattlesnaking on the 25/1.4 is the aperture, not the focusing system. It can be quite disconcerting at times.

Sep 29, 2013 at 04:14 AM
millsart
• • • •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

TMaG82 wrote:
That's great news. I inquired about the E-P5 having a L-plate and they responded that due to no demand for it, they would not be making one. My Gitzo + RRS25 head are just waiting for a L-plate for this.

That seems pretty reasonable since I imagine anyone (or well, a majority of people) who would be interested in doing some tripod mounted shooting would prefer to go for the E-M1/OM-D variates due to the articulating LCD rather than the more limited RF-ish EP-5 body style

I had a E-P5 briefly and while you could tilt the accessory EVF (which was handy at times) it just wasn't a camera that seemed to lend itself to tripod shooting in comparison to some of the other options out there.

Sep 29, 2013 at 05:36 AM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

I know many people here don't like Steve hUff reviews however I was relatively impressed with the quality of the photo shown on his site with the recent review

Sep 29, 2013 at 07:47 AM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

You will like these photos then:

http://thomasleuthard.com/em1/

h00ligan wrote:
I know many people here don't like Steve hUff reviews however I was relatively impressed with the quality of the photo shown on his site with the recent review

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:52 PM
jforkner
• •
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

bobbytan wrote:
You will like these photos then:

http://thomasleuthard.com/em1/

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm not at all impressed. Those OOC images with the 60mm are terrible. The WB in both the OOC & PP images appear off to me. Perhaps it's just his settings; but until seeing these, I was impressed.

Jack

Sep 29, 2013 at 01:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

User error probably but the final results are quite impressive.

jforkner wrote:
Don't know about anyone else, but I'm not at all impressed. Those OOC images with the 60mm are terrible. The WB in both the OOC & PP images appear off to me. Perhaps it's just his settings; but until seeing these, I was impressed.

Jack

Sep 29, 2013 at 02:50 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Sort of a silly setup for a demo really, going to an Irish castle and having some proper society looking ladies ride through the water for waiting photographers to test the PDAF and such.

Well and good I suppose, and certainly a unique trip for those reviewers chosen to participate, although it does introduce some possible issues of bias on account of getting a free weekend on Olympus's dime.

In reality though, I would have to think such conditions are the furthest thing from most people's actual shooting experiences.

How the camera fares shooting a 3 year old on the playground, or a 10 year old playing soccer, maybe a dog running around in the backyard are more accurate tests.

Instead of high society models how about testing low light with a kid blowing out birthday candles ambient light, etc

I think Olympus marketing could of saved a bunch of money and provided some more realistic real world conditions that would better serve the reviewers and also readers, whom are the end consumers.

As it stands, the resulting "luxury vacation" images from the reviews seem to be more about the "art" and less about the tech.

I see comments around the web about how amazing the images are but it seems people are looking at the atmosphere and composition, the professional set up lighting and paid models, not so much the image quality of the camera.

I guess in a way maybe that was the intent of Olympus overall, to have talented photographers in conditions that allow them to produce some nice photos and let the public equate that wow factor with the camera, rather than the realize its largely the photographers talents and the set up conditions ?

Sep 29, 2013 at 04:20 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

bobbytan wrote:
User error probably but the final results are quite impressive.

I agree the end results turned out nice, and appreciate his showing the before and after, which does give some indications of the DR and highlight recovery possible, such as the rather blown out skintones on the one shot of the female model.

Its nice to see the SOOC results rather than the end product of a photogs PP skills for a change.

Sep 29, 2013 at 04:23 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

millsart wrote:
I agree the end results turned out nice, and appreciate his showing the before and after, which does give some indications of the DR and highlight recovery possible, such as the rather blown out skintones on the one shot of the female model.

Its nice to see the SOOC results rather than the end product of a photogs PP skills for a change.

Yes, the DR is pretty good. The highlights appear to be completely blown out but most of the details were recovered in post. In the first 2 samples neither the SOOC images nor the post-production images look perfect - one is too warm and the other is too cold. The color temperature needs to be somewhere in-between. The b/w rendering is great.

Sep 29, 2013 at 08:22 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Hmm I wouldn't NEED the E-M1, but the improved EVF, max shutterspeed, AF, ergonomics, IBIS,... sure make it more and more appealing.

Oct 01, 2013 at 01:28 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Jochenb wrote:
Hmm I wouldn't NEED the E-M1, but the improved EVF, max shutterspeed, AF, ergonomics, IBIS,... sure make it more and more appealing.

The E-M1 has a bagful of tricks. Aside from the amazing EVF, PDAF on sensor, solid build and excellent ergonomics ... you can, right after a shoot at the sand dunes or beach, literally rinse your E-M1 + 12-40 lens under a running tap:

http://www.43rumors.com/e-m1-under-tap-water-video-new-robin-wong-e-m1-post/

The icing on the cake is the improved IBIS, noise, sharpness, etc.

Oct 01, 2013 at 03:40 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

New Wifi control via smart phone/tablet with access to ss, apeture, iso control etc is big news for me, plus the ability to even watch the live bulb mode "develop" over wifi is pretty cool

Oct 02, 2013 at 12:07 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Cameralabs posted a raw-processed noise comparison between the EM1, EM5, and GX7:

http://cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_OMD_EM1/RAW_noise.shtml

Oct 02, 2013 at 01:11 AM
millsart
• • • •
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Not too much difference surprisingly, maybe slight, slight, slight advantage over the EM-5. I guess one really doesn't buy a m4/3 camera though for the ultimate in pixel peeping IQ, but really all look pretty good through about 1600

Oct 02, 2013 at 01:21 AM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Interesting interviews with Olympus' Toshiyuki Terada:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.onfoto.ru%2Freview%2FOlympus-OM-D-E-M1%2F2481.html

http://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&nv=1&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.focus-numerique.com/test-1767/interview-toshiyuki-terada-olympus-e-m1-presentation-caracteristiques-1.html

Oct 02, 2013 at 05:48 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password