Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3              15       16       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

jonrock
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Jman13 wrote:
Yeah, the 40-150/2.8 would be awesome, and hopefully they have it cost around $1300 or so. I think this lens has made the Panasonic 150/2.8 pretty much DOA, unless they massively reduce the planned price (which they should anyway).

I'm pretty sure it would be awesome. It's a bit larger than I expected it though. I knew it would be larger than the Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 to cover the additional range on the long end.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-m-zuiko-pro-40-150mm-f-2-8-lens-roadmap-22867

FlyPenFly wrote:
Well this means I'm going to hold off on the Fuji 14mm... I would love a MFT version of the Olympus 7-14mm. One of the technically best UWA lenses ever made zoom or prime.

On a bright note, if you look at the lens road map at the bottom of the link I posted above, there's supposed to be a 2 more Olympus Pro lenses coming out in 2014 which are a super telephoto prime and a wide angle zoom lens.

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:12 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

because compared to the big dawgs (CaNikon), fast telephotos are (at least now) a relatively small market, so they probably aren't going to ramp up design and production for this relatively small product.

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:25 AM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Spyro P. wrote:
not cheap...

Not cheap for 16mp. But everything considered, not really expensive either. Will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the cheaper Nikon 7100, the significantly cheaper Pentax K-5 II, and the more expensive, forthcoming Canon 7D mkII, or the similarly priced Canon 70D. It is a relatively competitive price point. I wonder if the market for this camera is limited to existing 4/3rd's camera owners looking to upgrade, or whether if it can expand Olympus' market penetration. Will be interesting to see.

Edited on Sep 10, 2013 at 08:36 AM · View previous versions

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:35 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

ISO1600 wrote:
because compared to the big dawgs (CaNikon), fast telephotos are (at least now) a relatively small market, so they probably aren't going to ramp up design and production for this relatively small product.

Investing is a gamble for sure
If they manage to steal some telephoto market share from CaNikon it may well pull their imaging business out of the lurch financially
but somehow I cant see many sports shooters buying into this... maybe some nature/wildlife shooters who carry their bag for hours

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:35 AM
Massimo Foti
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

I am really looking forward to see what kind of buttons they are going to use. I hate those on the E-M5

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:37 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

The buttons are a big improvement over the ones on the E-M5. It's actually the main reason I'm thinking about upgrading.

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:44 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

I kind of got used to the tiny long travel squish mess.

Sep 10, 2013 at 08:44 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

ISO1600 wrote:

Spyro P. wrote:
Investing is a gamble for sure
If they manage to steal some telephoto market share from CaNikon it may well pull their imaging business out of the lurch financially
but somehow I cant see many sports shooters buying into this... maybe some nature/wildlife shooters who carry their bag for hours

DPR's initial preview of the new phase detect AF system doesn't give me much confidence that it will be competitive in situations of high speed, high fps action, at least when it comes to sports. It will be interesting to see what price point Olympus sets for a new super-tele, as their 300/2.8 was/is quite up there in price, though the 150/2 is more reasonable, and probably closer to what the average field sports photographer would want. The typical lens on sidelines is either 300 or 400mm, so something in the 150-250mm range would be good, and ideally f/2 to compensate somewhat for the high-ISO and subject-background separation disadvantage of the smaller format vs. APS-C and FF.

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:14 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

We'll see how the phase detection works. Some other reviews have reported it working better than what DPReview saw. My guess is that it will end up being the best continuous AF for mirrorless cams, save for the Nikon 1, and will be on par with basic SLRs...such as the 5D II, 60D or the Rebels, falling short of the 7D and pro SLRs like the D4, D800 and 1D X, 5D III level of AF.

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:21 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

rscheffler wrote:
DPR's initial preview of the new phase detect AF system doesn't give me much confidence that it will be competitive in situations of high speed, high fps action, at least when it comes to sports.

they need to find a niche of people who value absolute competitiveness less than the lack of back aches
those teles are friggin heavy...

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:21 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

I just read Ming Thein's review and he's definitely more positive about its phase detect AF, so yes, time will tell.

Spyro P. wrote:
they need to find a niche of people who value absolute competitiveness less than the lack of back aches
those teles are friggin heavy...

Well, when you factor in all this 'equivalency' stuff, a ~200/2 is going to be similar in size and weight to a 300/2.8 on APS-C and the E-M1 with grip will probably be similar in size. It'll definitely be smaller and lighter than a 1D series and 400 (and a lot less expensive, at least ignoring the used market)...

From my experience in the sports market, it'll be a tough nut to crack for Olympus, assuming they're even interested in doing so. It's quite a specialized and small segment already extremely well served by Canikon's halo products. Sure, that gear is all very expensive, but it also delivers top results. It is reassuring, though, that Olympus is making progress with AF tracking performance and have delivered a camera that should be competitive in many situations.

Sep 10, 2013 at 09:54 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

MT seems to say it was comparable to a D200.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:10 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Pre-ordered this.

I went a little overboard and anticipated that the demand would be high so I pre-ordered the body + lens at B&H, body + lens at Amazon, and body + MMF-3 on Olympus. Obviously I'm not going to keep all 3 pre-orders, but will keep the one that ships first and cancel the other 2. Amazon says will ship on 10/14, B&H says 10/4, Olympus doesn't say anything. And before someone says something about me preordering from 3 places and taking someone else's place in line, I'm not preventing anyone else from pre-ordering the same camera.

I'm going to cancel my GX7 order and using that money to buy a X100S instead. Between the E-M1 w/ 2.8 zoom and PL 1.4 and a X100S, I have everything set. The E-M1 for planned photo sessions and the X100S for a carry every where option.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM
ultrapix
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

I like everything but the single slot (

I am deeply disappointed about that. May anyone tell me if the Wi-Fi function could allow a real time backup? May I set a connection with my smartphone and send the pics (only JPGS possibly) to it during the session? Or have I to share manually the files, stopping shooting?

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

C-AF on D200 is not that good if my memory served me well .. but it's definitely an improvement.

FlyPenFly wrote:
MT seems to say it was comparable to a D200.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Nice Camera Store field test of the new OM-D E-M1:

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

Did you order the body and lens separately? I tried to pre-order the body and lens as a kit but it won't allow me to do that. You can do this in the UK and Germany but not the USA ... not yet anyway.

TMaG82 wrote:
Pre-ordered this.

I went a little overboard and anticipated that the demand would be high so I pre-ordered the body + lens at B&H, body + lens at Amazon, and body + MMF-3 on Olympus. Obviously I'm not going to keep all 3 pre-orders, but will keep the one that ships first and cancel the other 2. Amazon says will ship on 10/14, B&H says 10/4, Olympus doesn't say anything. And before someone says something about me preordering from 3 places and taking someone else's place in line, I'm not preventing anyone else from pre-ordering the same camera.

I'm going
...Show more

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

bobbytan wrote:
Did you order the body and lens separately? I tried to pre-order the body and lens as a kit but it won't allow me to do that. You can do this in the UK and Germany but not the USA ... not yet anyway.

Couldn't find a bundle either. If one does come out then I'll re-order, otherwise I'll just keep my existing order.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

If you go to the Olympus website, it says the new lens will be available by late October.
http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/lenses/pen-omd/m-zuiko-digital-ed-12-40mm-f2-8-pro.html

B&H has availability on Nov 25.
I wonder which one is more accurate?

The camera is also available with a free MMF-3 adapter or FL-300 flash on their website.

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Official: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mirrorless announced!

The Olympus site says mid-October for delivery of the camera.

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.