Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · 1st flashed HS Football

finster1018
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 1st flashed HS Football

NathanHamler wrote:
I have a feeling that what you're seeing in the vid, is a situation where it works with that SPECIFIC set of equipment.....it's not something that can be replicated across any system in the world of photography.....

Perhaps you're right...doesn't look practical in a) sporting venue and b) not sure it's all that effective with a subject that is moving away or towards you so the exposure is not going to be consistant. I think he just wanted to prove he could hypersync on speedlights using regular PW and optical slave.

Sep 18, 2013 at 02:00 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 1st flashed HS Football

finster1018 wrote:
Perhaps you're right...doesn't look practical in a) sporting venue and b) not sure it's all that effective with a subject that is moving away or towards you so the exposure is not going to be consistant. I think he just wanted to prove he could hypersync on speedlights using regular PW and optical slave.

Read this thread here....the guy who made the vid admits it only works on the 7d...so there ya go lol...I'll stay at 1/500 and hope for some clouds :-)

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=710949&page=3

Sep 18, 2013 at 02:12 PM
finster1018
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 1st flashed HS Football

so I guess the moral to the story to get good football night shots a) get a camera with high iso performance b) use highspeed sync with midrange iso and shutterspeed somewhere in the 1/640 range or c) underexpose ambient by 2 stops and use ettl with flash and shutter speed set at camera's synch limit.

Sep 18, 2013 at 02:21 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 1st flashed HS Football

Or get some big studio lights with short durations and long throw reflectors, and run it like the pros do for ice hockey and basketball....except your lights are going in the stands...

Sep 18, 2013 at 02:49 PM
finster1018
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 1st flashed HS Football

I don't know about you, but I like my stuff by my side. You can chance your investment by putting it near celebratory, inebriated, or malicious fans.

Sep 18, 2013 at 03:10 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 1st flashed HS Football

finster1018 wrote:
I don't know about you, but I like my stuff by my side. You can chance your investment by putting it near celebratory, inebriated, or malicious fans.

Touché!!!

Sep 18, 2013 at 03:18 PM
ScatterCrSport

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 1st flashed HS Football

sleepy717 wrote:
...any suggestions for a monopod flash bracket?

My monopod flash bracket is made from the following:
gate handle
• 2 meter OC-E3a ETTL cord
• 1/4"-20 allen head screw & washers
• rubber bands
• 8"x1/2" Velcro® wraps

Cut off one end of the gate handle next to the inner bend. Straighten out the outer bend on the other end of the gate handle. Drill the hole so it will accept a 1/4"-20 screw. Mount the ETTL cord on the new flash bracket. Wrap rubber bands around curved portion of the bracket to keep it from slipping around. Use Velcro straps to tightly attach the flash bracket to your monopod.

The rubber bands reduce the bracket's tendency to rotate around the monopod. Also, some additional up/down bending of the bracket may be necessary to aim the flash. Take some pictures of a large wall at night to decide if the flash is aimed properly.

Using a tilting monopod head is not recommended with this bracket. A Better Beamer will extend the flash's effective distance and reduce recycle time. This setup will cast ugly shadows, be aware of the background.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:47 PM
finster1018
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 1st flashed HS Football

Actually, I'm pretty impressed you tested all that. What do you use the optical trigger for?

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

finster1018
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 1st flashed HS Football

sleepy717 wrote:
...any suggestions for a monopod flash bracket?

You know, I was just thinking today from expanding from one flash to two flashes and how I could achieve that.

So I would use my superclamp tied to my monopod, then connect one of those brass connectors to it. Then screw onto the brass connector one of this backets...

BKT-DC1

A TT5 receiver and 580 ex combos would screw in on both sides. Now I have twice the flash output. Anyone think this would NOT work?

Sep 19, 2013 at 01:07 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 1st flashed HS Football

finster1018 wrote:
Actually, I'm pretty impressed you tested all that. What do you use the optical trigger for?

I'm assuming you're asking me lol , but i actually dont use it for anything...a buddy of mine gave me a bag of old PC sync chords, and it was in with them lol...

Sep 19, 2013 at 02:00 AM
ScatterCrSport

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 1st flashed HS Football

DennisC wrote:
Interesting. I now recall that, what's his name, Peterson, in his book Understanding Exposure, spoke about metering off the grass.

Do you take new readings off the grass as you move around the field and change positions?

Thanks!

No, I don't worry about it too much.

Manual Mode - ETTL II - HSS
from the 580EX II Instruction Manual:
Select this
(Manual) mode when you want to set both the shutter speed and aperture manually. Standard exposure of the main subject is obtained with the flash. The exposure of the background is obtained with the shutter speed and aperture combination you set.

Edited on Sep 19, 2013 at 06:46 AM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2013 at 04:29 AM
ScatterCrSport

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 1st flashed HS Football

finster1018 wrote:

You know, I was just thinking today from expanding from one flash to two flashes and how I could achieve that.

So I would use my superclamp tied to my monopod, then connect one of those brass connectors to it. Then screw onto the brass connector one of this backets...

BKT-DC1

A TT5 receiver and 580 ex combos would screw in on both sides. Now I have twice the flash output. Anyone think this would NOT work?

It would only be 1.4 times the output. To double the light output, you would need four 580EX's... Inverse square law. I don't think the PW's would work, but Phottix Odins would.

Sep 19, 2013 at 04:35 AM
finster1018
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 1st flashed HS Football

It would only be 1.4 times the output. To double the light output, you would need four 580EX's... Inverse square law. I don't think the PW's would work, but Phottix Odins would.

Ok...a litle physics refresher. I thought light was additive so I would be effectively doubling the output from the two flashes assuming both are firing at the same intensity. I thought the inverse square law applies to measuring that intensity at a specific distance relative to the light source. So if I were to meter my subject with one flash and it turns out that the output at a specific point is 3 lumens, wouldn't the subject be illuminated with 6 lumens of light using a second light source of equivalent output?

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:59 AM
ScatterCrSport

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 1st flashed HS Football

You're right finster, I incorrectly read what you wrote.

Sep 19, 2013 at 06:26 AM
finster1018
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 1st flashed HS Football

ScatterCrSport wrote:

What don't you think would work...logistically, mechanically, what?

Sep 19, 2013 at 06:51 AM
ScatterCrSport

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 1st flashed HS Football

finster1018 wrote:
What don't you think would work...logistically, mechanically, what?

While I'm not saying they won't work, there are RF Interference problems associated with certain Canon Speedlites. The problems can be overcome, but is it worth the extra cost & trouble? The easy solution is to use Phottix Odins. They essentially work like an OC-E3 cord. Here are some of the advantages the Odins have:
• 2.4Ghz frequency which solves the RF problem
• ETTL II metering
• HSS instead of PW's problematic Hypersync®
• EV adjustment (+/- 3 stops in 1/3 stop increments - 18 different levels)
• backwards compatible with other Phottix receivers (up to the receiver's capabilities)
• no melted Speedlites because of RF blanket
• they work all of the time

from the Pocket Wizard website:

NOTES ON OVERALL SYSTEM PERFORMANCE:

- RF Interference: Canon Speedlite models 580EX, 580EX II, 270EX II, and especially the 430EX (not the 430EX II), emit RF interference that can substantially reduce the effective operating range of many radio slaves, including the FlexTT5. For these model flashes, please utilize the mounting suggestions on Page 30 of the original Owner’s Manual to optimize range.

Using Canon’s Off Shoe Cord OC-E3 to separate the flash from the FlexTT5 greatly improves range (4 – 5x). Adding a ferrite choke on the cable near the flash increases range similarly. Placing the FlexTT5 above the flash by 18” or more, and angled as pictured in the manual on page 30, improves reception dramatically. All three of these simple solutions combined provide the best reception.

The Canon 430EX II and 550EX do not emit significant RF interference. These flash models provide the best range performance. The 420EX, 270EX and 220EX are somewhere in-between the “quiet” flashes and the “RF noisy” models and may perform acceptably. All Speedlites can benefit from the suggested techniques as they provide the best opportunity for optimizing your lighting and your radio reception independently.

Sep 21, 2013 at 02:15 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password